New Tank Suggestions.

Author Topic: New tank suggestions.  (Read 6139 times) 18 replies

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
New tank suggestions.
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:50:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I've recently been given a 65 litre tank (unknown make). it came with a Filter, and a 150 Watt heater.

I only started keeping fish 9 months ago and I am unsure of what to keep in this tank. I only have a small budget to spend on fish so nothing above £8 please.

Thanks, Aiden

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New tank suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »
Before we can make any suggestions, it would help if you gave us some more information please.

What is the length of the tank (because some fish prefer a lot of swimming room so don't like narrow, tall tanks)

What is the hardness of your tap water? The value should be somewhere on your water company's website. Make a note of the unit as well as the number as there are several (like miles and kilometres for distance)

Would you prefer lots of small fish or a few bigger ones?

Once we know the answers, we'll be able to suggest fish for you.

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
sorry I'm new to this.

length: 50cm. width: 34cm. height: 49cm.

Water hardness type: Hard
Water hardness average: 110mg/l calcium

I would prefer smaller fish about 2cm to 6cm, but no Guppies as I already have a 30 litre guppy tank

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
Don't worry, we were all new once  :)

50cm is on the tall, narrow side for 65 litres, so you need to avoid fast swimming fish.

There are two units commonly used on fish keeping websites; your 110mg/l calcium converts to 275ppm and 15.6 German degrees. Some sites use one unit, some the other, and some use both.
Hard water makes it slightly trickier than soft water would have done as it excludes all those Amazonian fish. Unfortunately, guppies suit your water and tank perfectly, but I quite understand that you want something else for this tank.

Here are a few suggestions, though I don't know how availble they are in your area or how much they'll cost.

Celestial pearl danio (galaxy rasbora) Celestichthys margaritatus
Emerald green rasbora, Celestichthys erythromicron
Forktail blue eye, Pseudomugil furcatus
If you could find them, one of the smaller, rarer livebearers such as tiger teddies Neoheterandria elegans or the least killifish Heterandria formosa

If you wanted a challenge, you could try shell dwellers such as Lamprologus ocellatus

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Sue.

I think I've seen some Forktail blue eye, or something similar in my LFS once. I believe they were around £3.50.
I love the look of the emerald green rasboras and the Tiger teddy.

one fish I've seen that I like are cherry barbs, are these Suitable?

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »
I can highly recommend the Pseudomugil species. I keep a shoal of 7 Red neons (also known as Paskai or Iriani). They vary widely in cost from £3.50 to £6.50 each. They'll probably look pretty drab in your LFS and often they have been seriously fin nipped. However, get them home and give them a couple of weeks and they will be a vibrant orange with bright blue eyes and a blue neon stripe down their back. They are amazing fish and you will never tire of their displays.

I would never pay £3.50 for a fish that small, let alone £6.50, especially when they have a relatively short lifespan. I was fortunate enough to find 5 poor souls in with some barbs at my LFS. They would happily compete with the barbs for food, but their fins were badly nipped. I managed to negotiate all 5 for a tenner. I then found another 4 at another LFS and got them for £3 each. Unfortunately one found the gap in my hood (they're good jumpers - I have had to drop the level in my tank) and another passed during a water change (possible stress).

I adore my red neons, and would definitely recommend them. Others such as the Furcatus, Gertrude and Signifier aren't LFS staples, but are quite often on offer. They also mix well (supposedly) with Peacock Gudgeons/Gobies which are larger, highly colourful fish. I'm toying with getting a couple of these myself!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:06:08 PM »
Red Neons look great. I've never seen them in any of the stores in my area. I am going to check out a store in Doncaster soon so fingers crossed I can find some of the suggested fish

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
I'll be honest, if they're aren't labelled you'd probably skip passed them. Tiny little chaps that look a little like lampeyes, that's until you get them home!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
My water is much harder than yours at 220 mg/l.

In spite of this I successfully keep a good range of fish including several species of tetra which people still seem to regard as requiring soft water. Almost any of the generally available tetras would be OK in your tank, they are usually cheap and tough. They are also attractive, but don't race around the tank like danios, for example.

Much of the information on hardness/pH which fish require is out of date for today's commercially bred fish which are much more adaptable than the original wild caught ones. I reckon you could keep almost anything in your water.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »
If Richard says most tetras would be OK, I'll go with what he says. Just avoid those that need soft water and go for those that prefer it but don't need it.
And stick to smaller species since your tank is just 50cm long. Bigger fish will be stressed by the lack of swimming room and could behave aggressively.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 11:44:52 AM »
Of the tetras I have, I reckon Glowlight, X Ray, Lemon or Silver Tip would all be OK in a 50 cms tank (although the profiles here say 60 cms). I have 20+ of these in 60 cms tanks without problems, in fact they school closely together so that the tanks generally look half empty. Tetras are moderately active, but tend to move short distances at a time and so don't neeed a long tank. They like to feel secure, hence the need for a decent number of them together. In such a small tank, I'd tend to go for a good number of one species, a shoal looks much nicer than a licorice allsorts of mixed fish, and they will be happier and more colourful. Don't judge these fish by their appearance in the shop, they will be much brighter when they settle down. A dark background and plants, natural or artificial, will also help.

I've found these commoner tetras to be as cheap as chips and tough as old boots which I prefer to more expensive and delicate fish, maybe when I retire I'll have time to consider more of the latter.

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
I think a shoal of 5-6 lemon tetras and maybe a small shoal of CPD's would look nice.

Are there any algae eaters that would be suitable for my tank.

thanks, aiden

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
Shrimps and snails, no fish. The only one suitably sized for you tank is otocinclus but they need to be in a shoal, and a tank your size won't be able to keep a shoal of them in algae.

Nerite snails are wonderful algae eaters and can't breed in freshwater as the newly hatched snails need to develop in salt water. Yes, females do lay eggs, but you won't be over-run. They come in various sizes from 1cm to 3cm depending on the species. If you have a branch near you, Maidenhead Aquatics usually have several types in stock.

Shrimps are also algae eaters but it depends on what kind of fish you get as some will eat shrimps.

Whichever you go for, wait until you have some algae before getting an algae eater. They do need something to eat!

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »
Nerite snails sound perfect, and I am toying with the idea of keeping shrimp in my 17 litre when my guppy fry are 6 weeks old.

could I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails as the tank has sand. i heard they were good for that.

Thanks again, aiden

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
Yes they are good for that. The trick to keeping MTS is to make sure there is no food left over when you feed the fish as any uneaten food will cause an MTS population explosion.

I should have said that ramshorn snails also eat algae but avoid the giant ones if you have live plants as this species eats those too. Apple snails used to be good for algae too but import of them was banned by the EU a few years ago - though you do still see home bred ones from time to time.
Both ramshorn and apple snails will bred readily in an tank so the same applies to them as MTS.

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 02:05:09 PM »
Ok I think I know what I'm going to do.

1)Fishless cycle
2)after fishless cycle, add guppies from 30 litre
3)1 week later add 5 lemon tetras
4)1 week after add 5 CPD's
5)add 2 MTS's and 4 nerite snails

Would this work?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »
Ok I think I know what I'm going to do.

1)Fishless cycle
3)1 week later add 5 lemon tetras
4)1 week after add 5 CPD's
5)add 2 MTS's and 4 nerite snails (after the tank has matured for several weeks to ensure there is enough food)

Would this work?

Hi,

A couple of safer options:

1)Fishless cycle
3)1 week later / or immediately if you wish - add 5 lemon tetras to the old Guppy Tank and quarantine for 2 weeks
4)2 weeks after add the 5 lemon tetras from the QT tank to the main tank and add 5 CPD's to the quarantine tank for 2 weeks
5)2 weeks after add the CPD's to the main tank
6)add 2 MTS's and 4 nerite snails

Another option:

1)Fishless cycle
2)after fishless cycle, add 5 lemon tetras and 5 CPDs
3)2 weeks later add guppies from 30 litre
4)add 2 MTS's and 4 nerite snails (after the tank has matured for several weeks to ensure there is enough food)

It's highly advisable to quarantine fish you purchase from the LFS before introducing them to your tank, in case they are carrying disease or parasites which could affect your existing stock.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »
I would go with Extreme_One's second option.

Putting the lemon tetras and cpds in the 65 litre as soon as it is cycled will quarantine them in there - and make enough ammonia to feed the newly grown bacteria. After the quarantine period of two weeks it will then be safe to move over the guppies, and adding them to a tank with 10 fish already in there shouldn't stress the filter too much.

Then get your shrimps for the 30 litre.

With 65 litres, I would get 2 of the larger nerites or 4 of the smaller ones, or 1 large, 2 small. Zebra nerites are the biggest, followed by the red ones with black markings. The grey/brown ones with horns and the black and yellow striped ones are small.

Re the fishless cycle, if you steal a bit of media from the 30 litre tank, the cycle will go much faster. It doesn't matter what you take, just cram it in the 65 litre's filter somehow.

Offline GersBantamJR

• Fishy Member
  • Aiden
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 10:01:16 PM »
Method 2 Seems like the best option, so I am going to do that.

I might keep some cherry shrimp in the 17 litre once I sell the Fry and use the 30 litre as a quarantine tank.

:fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank suggestions."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 04:58:20 PM
by WinterDusk
7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 06:53:47 PM
by Cod_only_knows
5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 09:26:58 PM
by GersBantamJR
19 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 09:18:02 AM
by Bubblychaz
13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 12:18:41 PM
by Fiona
15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 07:35:49 AM
by Fishbeard
8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 07:32:25 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: