New Tank Setup

Author Topic: new tank setup  (Read 3457 times) 7 replies

Offline tracymeg

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
new tank setup
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:30:23 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys, looking for your opinion on the future inhabitants of my 180l planted tank. Sand and gravel based.
I'm thinking lemon tetra, white tetra. 6/8 of each.
Either a dwarf or pearl gourami.
And lots of corys. Definitely pandas and possibly julii of agassazis. 6 of each ??
What do u think ???
It will have assassin snails and possibly shrimp too.
I've got the glowlight danios already. I know now that my water isn't perfect for them but they are doing great so would like to add them too.
I think I will be nowhere near heavily stocked based on what I've read.
Tank running at 7.8 ph and other water parameters look great for all but the danios.
Any input greatly appreciated. Tracy x

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: new tank setup
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »
Dwarf gouramis are often infected by the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus by the time they get to the shop so I would go for the pearls. If you want a smaller gourami, look at honey gouramis in their various colour forms (natural, yellow, red).

Lemon tetras don't flag up any problems with gouramis - some tetras are too nippy to keep with them. Glowlight danios appear to be fine as well.

Personally, I would get just one species of cory and maybe get 9 or 10 of them. They seem to be happier in bigger shoals of the same species.

What do you mean by white tetra? If you mean the white form of the black widow (aka black skirt) tetra you would need a biggish shoal (at least 8, preferably more) as they have a tendency to nippiness.
Alternatively, leave out the white tetras and get bigger shoals of lemon tetras and danios.

Shrimps could turn out to be expensive fish food  :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 11:38:24 AM »
Hi Traceymeg,

I had started to reply but see that Sue has done while I've been typing, so I'll amend it slightly.

Re the tetras, I'd go for 8+ of each/any you go for - the behaviour of shoaling fish like these gets more impressive, the bigger the shoal, as well as being more natural. Just be careful to check on Thinkfish's fish profiles/Seriouslyfish that they aren't fin-nippers - some are and might make a beeline for gouramis.

Your suggestions for cories sounds good - on the basis of experience with pygmy cories, I came to the conclusion (which I see the LFS chain of stores now recommends on its website) that they might feel less intimidated/happier if of equal or larger size than their tankmates and kept in good-sized numbers, so, again, I'd err on the 8+ of each. Cories usually are better with sand than gravel, to avoid damage to their barbels, but I see that Seriouslyfish mentions the type of gravel that might be suitable, at least for julii and agassazis.

Hope that helps.

Offline tracymeg

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
Ok on further investigation if I do decide on gourami I will not get the white skirt tetra but more lemon tetras.
I think all the white/pale fish will look fav in the tank with a flash of orange from the glowlights.
Will consider one type of Cory but I might just get lots instead as they are so cute.
Thank you for your comments

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »
If you look at my signature you will see I have shoals of pencilfish (12) and cherry barbs (13). My centrepiece fish are a trio of apistogrammas, and the bottom dwellers are 3 dwarf chain loaches (I did buy more but have lost some in the 8 years since I got them), and 3 or 4 otocinclus (bought 4 but I can only see 3 at any one time). This is a similar arrangement to what you suggest.

I should add that the other fish are the last remnants of old shoals - 1 green neon tetra, 2 ember tetras and 5 Microdevario.

Ooooh nearly forgot! There are 2 stiphodons in there too. I don't know which species though  :-[

[Eagle eyed members might notice that there are now no emperor tetras. They dove me nuts. They were like locusts, eating everything in sight, and they had the other fish cowering in the corners. I took them to the shop where I bought them and they gave me credit towards the pencilfish]

Offline tracymeg

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »
Sounds good sue but my water parameters rule most of those fish out for me.
I'm happy with my choice 😊
Tank looks so good at the moment wish this fishless cycling would hurry up !!! Lol

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
Sorry, I should have been clearer  :-[

What I meant was 2 shoals, a centre piece species and bottom dwellers - what you were suggesting with the lemon tetras, glowlight danios, pearl gouramis and cories - is the same style of stocking as I have.
I like having a dozen each of 2 species rather than half a dozen each of 4. But other people prefer half dozen each of 4 species.

Offline tracymeg

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
I understood what you meant. That's why I've chosen what I have x
Would love a bit more choice but like I say I'm happy. Who knows.one day I might have a cichlid tank 😉
Still very early in the hobby. So only time will tell. Run out of plug space and actual space so not whilst I'm in this house. Gonna have to stick with the three tanks... Lol. My other half thinks I'm mad. Could always get another dog or more cats !!!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "new tank setup"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2013, 02:09:56 AM
by Stuart
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2014, 10:31:00 PM
by Rich_D
4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 11:11:12 AM
by Cod_only_knows
6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 09:07:28 AM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post June 11, 2017, 06:55:46 PM
by FoundNemo
1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2019, 10:42:14 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: