Ammonia

Author Topic: ammonia  (Read 3930 times) 16 replies

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
ammonia
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:20:56 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ammonia levels have risen to     0.5ppm in my 23ltr tank  .
Tank was recently fishless cycled and stocked to approx 62% .
Did a 25%water change early this morning ,still reading 0.5 ppm.
Thinking of doing another water change now at 14.15 hrs,
Any advise on this please ,% etc considering tank size

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: ammonia
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 02:32:17 PM »
If the level had been stable at zero, it would seem you have done something to upset the bacteria colonies. Or perhaps it wasn't totally cycled after all  ???

Have you done anything along the lines of cleaned the filter media, done a water change and forgotten the dechlorinator etc?

Before panicking, I suggest you enter your readings in here. You need your ammonia reading, pH and water temp. Set salinity to zero. You need the bottom figure in the right hand box, NH3 concentration. If this is below 0.05 you are OK for a day or two; if it is below 0.02 you are OK for a few weeks.
Above 0.05 now - do a water change.
Between 0.02 and 0.05, monitor the levels, use the calculator and do a water change when it goes above 0.05.
Below 0.02 keep an eye on things in case it goes up.

And keep an eye on nitrite too. If you have an ammonia spike it gets turned into nitrite.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:43:28 PM »
Have already checked on this calculator as from your direction before, NH3 is at .0452 currently. As you say i think the tank was not fully cycled as i get a definite yellow zero on my test kit for dechlorinated water that has stood 24hrs ,but was still a green .25 ppm  ish  on the tank. Any way NH3 at .0452 what percentage water change do you recomend

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
Ammonia testers have a reputation for showing a tiny reading, usually 0.25, even when it is zero. This is particularly the case when the colour is compared to the chart under fluorescent lighting, including compact fluorescent bulbs.

With a reading of 0.0452, a 75% change will get it down below the critical 0.02 and give time for it to go up to that level rather than going to exactly .02 and having it go above that within hours.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »
ok thanks will do a75 %.
Was aware of the test kit descrepencies, but was gettin zero yellow from tap water under same lighting at same time

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
just a thought on the 75% change new water is going to be alot colder ,is this ok

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »
You have 2 choices depending on your hot water system.

If you have a combi boiler, use water from the hot tap to warm the new water.

If you have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard and a cold water header tank in the attic, boil a kettle and use that to warm the new water.

Whichever method you use, comparing the temps of the tank water and the new water with your hand will get it close enough.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »
did 75% water change on sunday,tested water next day all looked good so fed fish,tested today and tests show ammonia at .5 ppm and nitrite at .25 ppm  ???  Did a 50% water change. Not quite sure what's happening here.Am i feeding to much . Giving beta a pinch of beta flake and cp danios approx 3mini pellets for each

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
It would appear that the tank wasn't cycled properly or something has harmed the bacteria colonies. Do you make sure to add dechlorinator at every water change, at the correct dose for the volume of new water? What brand is it? Have you washed the filter media at all, and if so how?

All you can do is keep up with the water changes till the levels stay at zero. Unfortunately there is no safe level of nitrite like with ammonia; it must be kept below 0.25. Using salt can help but I don't know if cpd's can tolerate any salt  :-\

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 05:48:04 PM »
i use fluval aqua + water conditioner and am about 90% sure i have treated all the new water. I recently cleaned the gravel for first time in case to much waste is causing ammonia reading ,also cleaned half the filter sponge which i have cut in two.I cleaned this in tank water.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 06:43:18 PM »
Have done a water test after four hours since 50% water change ,ammonia 0  nitrite 0 .
This time got a definate yellow rather than a yellowish green. First time i have got a definate yellow on this tank and from  my 120ltr which i am currently cycling. Usually i just wash the test tubes after use .This time i cleaned them out with kitchen role before the test.Now im thinking the previous nitrite reading could have been false, Ill just have to keep an eye on this and clean the tubes with kitchen role

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
It sounds as you are using dechlorinator and cleaning the tank fine. At the beginning, the biofilm has not fully formed and the bacteria colonies can be delicate. When the tank is fully mature - 6 months after the cycle has finished - the colonies are much more robust. You can even do a small water change without dechlorinator. And the media should be treated carefully for the first 6 months.

The nitrite test in particular will stain the tube if it is not washed immediately. I always wash them straight away in cold tap water then dry them with a paper hanky. If there is any discolouration on the hanky, I wash the tube again. You could always get a small bottle brush  ;D

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 07:17:09 PM »
ok thanks . I will clean tubes thoroughly now and be a bit more carefull with filter cleaning. I have two bags of bio max in filter and one bag under ornament in tank which i have not cleaned so as to keep bacteria going.Thought this would be enough

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
There is a tendency when just starting to try to get the media into its pre-use pristine condition. It will never look like that again  :) Sponges need to squeezed gently rather than vigorously scrubbed, and ceramic media should be swooshed in old tank water rather than being scrunched together.
And with a new tank I suggest washing one lot of media at a time. Again, once the tank is mature you can wash more than one lot at a time. It's just those first few months until the biofilm is fully established that you need to be careful. So one biomax bag this week, the other bag next week and the one under the ornament the week after. That sort of timetable.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 07:47:16 PM »
Maybe i overdid the filter cleaning  and didnt clean the tubes.How much do you feed in your small tank to give me an idea of if im doing it correctly

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
My small tank has just a betta and a small nerite snail which lives on the algae this tank grows. The betta gets 5 Hikari Betta Gold pellets at lunchtime and 5 at dinner time. I give him them one at a time so that I know they've all been eaten.
If I had cpds I would use flake, and give them crushed flakes, enough to cover about half a 5p coin split between 2 meals. I would crush the flakes as they are small fish with small mouths so tiny bits of flake are easier for them to eat. That's how I fed the microrasboras (Boraras species) when they were in the now sold 50 litre tank with shrimps.

Offline Paddy60

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 08:03:28 PM »
well i dont think im overdoing it then.Thanks for all your help  :) ill see how things go

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "ammonia "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Ammonia

Started by Charlotte « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

22 Replies
Last post March 14, 2016, 06:41:43 PM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 09:16:01 PM
by Paddy60
2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 07:40:27 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 03:07:02 PM
by barneyadi
29 Replies
Last post June 17, 2018, 07:15:40 PM
by Andy The Minion
13 Replies
Last post December 11, 2019, 07:36:20 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2020, 09:17:20 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: