Author Topic: New tank - effects of spring water?  (Read 4372 times) 15 replies

Offline Pamela

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
New tank - effects of spring water?
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All

I have an existing (and on the way out) tank with  single pectus catfish in it. I've now got a new 200l tank that I am in the process of setting up with the home of ultimately having a nice planted community tank :) Loving the community creator tool!

My question is really about the cycling / water - I've done all the reading and think I can seed the new tank with some filter media and some of the bogwood from the old tank, which I understand negates the need for a cycle - is that right? If that is the case am I then good to transfer the catfish fairly quickly?

the only other odd factor is that I am not on mains water supply (joys of living in the middle of nowhere) so my water (and the water in the tank) is spring water, with no chemicals added. Is that likely to have an impact?

Pamela

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (12) - Dwarf Gourami (5) - Pictus Catfish (1) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Angelfish (5) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New tank - effects of spring water?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
I'd still cycle the tank if I were you but it'll just take a lot less time. Lucky you with having access to spring water, no nasty chloramines ect.

Do you have any water testing kit?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
It doesn't negate the need to cycle as seeding will only introduce some Nitrifying bacteria.

What seeding should do is significantly speed up the process, however that will depend on many factors.

As Fiona said, you really should have a test kit, but also a source of Ammonia too.

I would do a full cycle, following the guide here, and expect that it should finish rather quicker than cycling from scratch.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:08:58 PM »
Hi Pamela  :wave:

Fiona and Simon replied while I was typing so apologies if I repeat some of what they say.

Using media and decor from another tank is the quick way to cycle a tank but it doesn't usually negate cycling. The simplest thing is to move some media and decor (not so much that the pictus is left without enough) and then follow the fishless cycle method. The slow bit with any type of cycling is getting the bacteria colonies started from the very few in the water supply so adding some bacteria on the old media and decor significantly shortens the duration of the cycle.
Sources of ammonia - Homebase (if there is one left near you!) in the household cleaning section, or on-line. Ebay and Amazon sell ammonia suitable for cycling. Some sellers sell ammonia specifically for cycling, or Jeyes Kleen Off Household Ammonia is fine - I've used that brand,

As for spring water, that will contain some minerals but not chlorine/chloramine. Because of this, you may find that even a cycle with no added bacteria (media, decor etc) would go faster than usual as there is nothing to poison the naturally occurring bacteria we want to grow. But you may still need to add a dechlorinator because of any metals that might naturally be in your spring water. I would suggest you use something like API Tap Water Conditioner which contains only a dechlorinator and something to remove metals - nothing to detoxify ammonia (needed by people with chloramine added to their tapwater) and nothing to 'promote the slime coat' (which isn't necessary). That dechlorinator is the one I use, the downside being that not many shops stock it so I have to get it on-line.

You do need a test kit if you don't already have one. On-line is cheaper than 'real' shops but slower as you have to wait for the post.
And it would also be worth finding the hardness of your water as you won't have a water supply company to check with their website. Do you ever have water quality tests done on your water? If you do, the hardness should be in there. If you don't, you can buy a test kit for hardness but it would be cheaper to get your water tested at a shop - hardness in tapwater doesn't change. Ask them to test GH and KH and to write down not only the numbers but the units as well. Shops are notorious for saying things like 'fine' or 'OK' which are meaningless with hardness which is why you need the actual numbers and there are half a dozen different hardness units so you need to know which one your numbers are in.
The GH level affects the types of fish suitable for your tank, more than pH. And the KH level can affect the cycle - the bacteria we want grow slower in low KH.

Offline Pamela

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 05:39:24 PM »
Thanks all - I have a test kit on order and will test once it gets here. I'm in no immediate hurry to transfer over so happy to wait till it cycles. I'll maybe see where it's at at the moment and then go from there in terms of what else I need. I'm not sure if the water is tested, I live in a farm cottage and it's the farmer that administers and deals with the water supply. I'll investigate!

thanks again :)

Neon Tetra (12) - Dwarf Gourami (5) - Pictus Catfish (1) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Angelfish (5) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -

Offline Pamela

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:23:43 PM »
Hi All

Just a wee update, tests are currently sitting at

Cl2 - 0
pH - 6.8
KH - 6 d
GH - >7d
NO2 - 0mg/l
No3 - 25mg/l

took advice and threw in a raw prawn as well as seeding from other tank - will keep monitoring levels. It still has a slight cast to the water though, I intially put it down to gravel (despite washing it) but it's been in a week now and still isn't clearing. Any suggestions? Dodgy phone photo attached.

thanks again for advice :)

Pamela

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »
It's a bacterial bloom, unfortunately not the bacteria you need to grow. They are common in new set-ups. Bloom bacteria feed on organic matter, live floating in the water and multiply extremely quickly. The cloudiness is the bacteria. Their food supply is any organic (ie carbon containing) chemicals in the tank from plasticiser in the new plastic things and silicone sealant, to the prawn. Once they've eaten all their food they'll die and the water will clear.

And on the subject of prawns, you would find it easier to put it in a mesh bag - easier to remove when they go mushy and start to smell. Are you adding ammonia to the tank? The prawn will decompose to make ammonia but it is hard to regulate the amount going in the tank so if that's the only source of ammonia you'll need to stock slowly as you won't know if you have enough bacteria to support a tank full of fish like you do when using ammonia from a bottle.

And I see you are using test strips as you give Cl2 but not ammonia. You need to know the ammonia level for cycling and strips have the reputation for being less accurate that liquid reagent testers. You need to get hold of an ammonia tester asap, and while you are tester shopping you might find it cost effective to pick up a master set of liquid regent testers which also contain nitrite, nitrate and pH.

If your readings are at all accurate, your KH is fine, it should be high enough but do keep a check on your pH just in case.
I'm curious by the GH of >7 deg. Does that mean 7 is the highest figure on the strip and the GH is somewhere above that or that it is between 7 and 8?

Offline Pamela

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »
Hi Sue

thanks for replying :)

prawn is in a bag - I saw that tip somewhere else :) it's the only ammonia I've added, I couldnt get hold of an ammonia test kit (new branch of MA just taken over locally and it's not fully stocked yet) but should get one tomorrow so will keep testing. Haven't stocked yet, was hoping to cycle first.

The GH bits on the strip are either <3 >4 >7 >14 or >21 . . . with the middle three being marked as ok.

P :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 11:35:29 AM »
So GH somewhere between 7 and 14. In other words slightly hard to hard.

Testers/people say shouldn't say hardness and pH are in the OK range because what is OK to Amazonian fish is definitely not OK for Rift Lake cichlids, and vice versa. There is no perfect hardness or pH, just what is good for a particular fish species. It is always better to get fish that suit your water rather than try to alter the water to suit fish.
Sorry, rant over!

The problem is that the strip gives quite a wide range for your GH. Soft water fish would be OK at the lower end of the range (7) but not at the higher end (14). Your pictus is fine though, that needs water in the range 1 to 15. That's an unusually wide range of hardness.
I think I would resort to buying a liquid hardness test kit - they usually come with both GH and KH. If you have an Ebay or Amazon account, you'll find them on there. I used to have an API one till it expired. Then you'd be able to research future fish purchases properly.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 12:22:21 PM »
I have both both test strips and liquid re-agent tests. Most people swear by the liquid re-agent tests. In my own experience, I think they are over-rated and the test-strips under-rated, but I seem to be on my own here with this view, so I don't know whether test strips have improved in recent years or not. I'd be *really* interested to know what your readings are with both. There are definitely advantages to having both, to cross-check with one another, so I would still definitely advocate buying the liquid ones too.

My own experience is that the liquid tests give an artificially high level for PH, regardless of brand, although the test strips possibly give an artificially low level for PH - the water company results tend to give something in between. There's also quite a bit of difference between what the test strip results are for KH and GH (usually somewhere on the soft side or in the middle) and what the liquid test results are (lower), with the liquid test ones probably being more in line with the water company results. The nitrate is the liquid test which I dislike the most - it tends to show up as 0 which oughtn't to be the case even although I follow instructions and shake the test tube for a long time and very vigorously as required. For that reason in particular, I find it useful using both test strips and liquid-based kits as I can cross-check with the test strip.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »
Once upon a time, my water company listed something called alkalinity in their area wide hardness table. They've since gone to a postcode search and they no longer list it. But while they did, both alkalinity (= KH) and GH on their website agreed closely with the API hardness testers.

The advantage with liquid hardness testers over Pamela's strips is that the results go up 1 deg at a time so they'd say if her hardness is 7 deg, 13 deg or somewhere between. Saying over 7 but less than 14 covers a wide range.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
Hello All,

I have used API liquid testers since I came back to the hobby 14 months ago. As well as the master test kit for all the usual parameters, I also have KH & GH, and phosphate. I am currently using my third nitrate kit. I check my tanks and tap water regularly. The reason for testing the tap water so often, is that despite living in a hard water (limestone) area, the supply for my post code is very soft (kh2 gh2-3). Most of the rest of the area is quite hard, so I am wary of the effect that a supply switch (e.g. during a drought, or maintenance period) might have on my soft water fish.

My tap water tests for PH, NO3, PO4, GH, have always agreed very closely with the water authority's figures.

Skittler

Offline Pamela

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
Me again (Sorry,  I'll post something more interesting eventually!)

Ok I've been testing daily and sitting pretty consistently at

Ammonia - 0
GH - 8
(both liquid tests)

Cl2 - 0
pH - 6.8
KH - 6 d
GH - >7
NO2 - 0mg/l
No3 - 25mg/l

so all looking ok I think . . . but I've still got the slightly white cast I mentioned before, coming up on 2 weeks now. I guess my question is is there anything I can do to speed up clearing it? or is it just a wait it out and see :)

TIA!

Pamela :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 08:01:08 AM »
As Sue says it'll die off once it's food source has been exhausted.

Did you take Sue's advice and start adding Ammonia from a bottle?

Are you adding ammonia to the tank? The prawn will decompose to make ammonia but it is hard to regulate the amount going in the tank so if that's the only source of ammonia you'll need to stock slowly as you won't know if you have enough bacteria to support a tank full of fish like you do when using ammonia from a bottle.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 09:37:42 AM »
As Simon says, it is better to add ammonia from a bottle. Using the prawn method is hit and miss - just how much ammonia are you actually adding to the tank? If it is 3ppm, that is enough to cycle a tank for a full load of fish. If the prawn is adding only 0.5ppm you will only be able to start with a few fish and gradually add more as for a fish-in cycle.

One recommended way of using prawns is in a bucket of water. You let them decompose and measure the ammonia level in the bucket. Then use that water as the source of ammonia, calculate from the reading how much you need add to get 3ppm in the tank water. The downside is that you would probably need to have several buckets of prawns in various stages of decomposition to keep a steady supply of ammonia.
You could try doing that to see how much ammonia is made by the prawns you are using. A bit of maths will be involved - the amount of ammonia needed to give a specific ppm in a 10 litre litre bucket would give a twentieth of that ppm in a 200 litre tank. In order to know that you are cycling to 3ppm ammonia with your prawn, the same prawn in a 10 litre bucket would need to decompose to 60ppm ammonia.
This is why using bottle ammonia is much easier.

Do you have a small local DIY shop? That's where I found my bottle of Jeyes Kleen Off Household Ammonia for a couple of £.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »
If it helps, this is the bottle I bought from Amazon and, at £4.25 plus free delivery, its even cheaper than what I paid for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kleen-Off-500ml-Ammonia/dp/B00755MEMA

Oh, you'll need a syringe too. Pack of two: 99p + free delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Syringe-5ml-Pack-of-2/dp/B004BF4HUY

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank - effects of spring water?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 10:52:15 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
by Loubaa
3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 10:24:34 AM
by Bluejon71
18 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 07:34:47 PM
by dbaggie
19 Replies
Last post March 06, 2015, 04:14:26 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 12:09:22 AM
by Fiona
27 Replies
Last post March 18, 2018, 03:21:28 PM
by ChrisP1969

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: