Author Topic: New Tank - Dying Ottos  (Read 4434 times) 8 replies

Offline CollyH

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
New Tank - Dying Ottos
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:34:57 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,

I have a new tank (Fluval Roma 125 with Internal U3 Filter), setup in January with a fishless cycle done for about two weeks but also used a biological enhancer to speed up the process. One of my pals had 5 Serpae Tetras that he had in a seperate tank as they were nipping his Corys. So he gave me those to put in the tank as my first fish. After another 2 weeks i put in 6 Leopard Danios, 2 Pepper Corys and 2 Japonica Shrimp to see how the Tetras would deal with tankmates. Everything went fine. At this stage i was doing 50% water changes every weekend and everything was going well.

After another 2 weeks i added 4 otocinclus to aid in algae control from my plants. There wasnt an awful lot anyway but i read that they were a nice addition to a community planted tank. That weekend i done another water change and by the time i had finished an Otto was dead. I put it down to stress etc. A week later another had passed.

This time i let 3 weeks pass before adding more fish, 4 black mollys and 6 glass bloodfins. Again everyone was doing fine and my water tests were all normal. I decided to cross reference suggested temperature ranges, ph ranges etc to check that all my fish were compatible. It seemed they were but i decided to lower the temp from 26 degrees to 23/24 degrees. Again everything was going ok. In these 3 weeks i was doing a 25% water change every weekend.

Then yesterday i woke up to another dead Otto. Only 1 left from the 4 i put in and all the other fish doing fine. I'm just wondering if there is anything i have done wrong or should be doing to care for the ottos.

My water test readings from yesterday are: General Hardness: 60 ppm mg/L, Carbonate Hardness: 60 ppm mg/L, pH - 7.0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - 20, Temp: 23/24 degrees.

I have been feeding the fish twice a day, flakes in the morning and then pelles for mid water and bottom feeders in the evening.

Any help or advice would be warmly received.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Salt and Pepper Catfish (4) - Japonica Shrimp (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New Tank - Dying Ottos
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
There's a couple of problems with ottos, firstly its the way they're caught in the wild and the transportation. Ottos have this weird digestive problem that if they don't eat for a while, they're unable to digest food. So when you buy ottos always make sure they have nicely rounded bellies and have been in the shop for a couple of weeks. This allows time for the weakened fish to die.

Secondly ottos need to be kept in a mature tank, that is one where the biofilm and algae has had time to grow. It is possible to keep them in a new tank but you'd have to feed them with blanched courgette.

Hope that helps

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:59:48 AM »
AS Fiona said, otos are not really suitable for a new tank. If you have a lot of algae, you need to find the cause, but bear in mind that almost all tanks have some algae.
Excessive algae is caused by an imbalance of plant food (ammonia, nitrate and phosphate) lighting and carbon dioxide. How long are the lights on for as a first step?

I notice that you don't give a reading for ammonia - are you using strips to test with? You really need to know the ammonia level in the tank, so can I suggest you buy an ammonia tester and check that level.

Keep an eye on those serpaes, they can be very nippy if there aren't enough of them as your friend found. Leave enough space in your tank to get more if they do start nipping. They should be OK with at least 10.

You may find that you have problems with the mollies as time goes on. Your tests show that you have soft water and mollies tend not to well in soft water. You can confirm your test reading by looking for your hardness on your water companies website. If that confirms soft water, stick to fish that are OK in soft water - all the other fish you have are fine.

Offline CollyH

• Fish Fry
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks for your replies Sue and Fiona. Greatly appreciated.

I will get an ammonia testing kit asap. I always use dechlorinator when doing a water change but i understand the ammonia can develop naturally with decaying food etc.

The tetras were a bit iffy at first when i added the Danios but they all seem content enough now in each others company. Will keep an eye on the Mollies.

I don't think i have excessive algae, there was some brown stuff in the first few weeks that was easily cleaned. It now seems to be a harder to clean green algae which i think is normal going by other tanks.

My queation now is, at what syage does a tank become mature enough to keep Ottos? Without having to feed them blanched courgette etc. And is there a similar style algae eater that i can put in my new tank now? Even a single catfish or loach of some sort that won't grow too big. Tank is only 80cm wide.

Many thanks again,

Colly

Salt and Pepper Catfish (4) - Japonica Shrimp (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline CollyH

• Fish Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 02:06:20 PM »
Just checked on my water companies website Sue, and it states my water is Slightly Hard. Hopefully will be ok for the Mollies. My friend that i got the Serpaes from has kept Mollies for a good while and hasnt had any problems and we live in the same town. Hope that bodes well for them - they're my faves!

Colly

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
It's not just food that makes ammonia, the fish do too. It's the first thing to increase if there are not enough bacteria.
Adding a biological enhancer doesn't make a tank cycled instantly. If you have come across paddy c's cycling thread you'll see that he used a bottled bacteria product and mature media to kick start his fishless cycle, and he's still not finished. Even once a tank is cycled, it is good practice to test for ammonia and nitrite whenever adding more fish, just to make sure the bacteria are coping OK.

The brown algae would have been diatoms. These are pretty common in new tanks, and they grow particularly well if there is ammonia in the water. It usually goes away as the tank cycles.

Cycling, both fishless and fish-in, grows the bacteria we need to remove ammonia and the nitrite made from the ammonia. They live in the biofilm which grows on all the surfaces in the tank but especially on the filter media which is designed to have a huge surface area (think of all those bubbles in a sponge) and lots of water flow. But it takes a few months for the biofilm to fully develop and all the micro-organisms that live in the biofilm to grow. This is called tank maturing. As a rule of thumb, a tank is mature 6 months after it has finished cycling.

I would wait for 6 months before getting any more otos.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 03:35:13 PM »
If you have come across paddy c's cycling thread you'll see that he used a bottled bacteria product and mature media to kick start his fishless cycle, and he's still not finished.

Today is day 14 since adding Tetra Safestart and first full ammonia dose :)

Offline CollyH

• Fish Fry
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
That's great info Sue. I'll check out Paddyc's post. Your last post brings me on to another question though - when should i clean my filter for the first time? And any suggestions for alternatives to Ottos?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »
The U3 is quite easy to tell - just have a look at the media. If they are horribly clogged with brown goo, yes it does need a clean. If they are brown but not horribly clogged, put them back and check again next week. You'll soon get to know how often to clean them. With the U3, the pads on the outside will get messy first.

Newly cycling filters are quite delicate - well the bacteria colonies are. It is better not to disturb them unduly. If the media are horribly clogged, squeeze the sponges and pads very gently in water you take during a water change; and just swoosh the container with the ceramic medium gently in the same water.

One of the best algae eaters is nerite snails, though the amanos you mentioned will also eat some algae. But make sure you have no trace of ammonia before getting any as snails are very sensitive to it. And nitrite.

I've just realised you have just 2 cories. They will do a lot better if you get 4 more of the same species  :)

Tags: Otocinclus 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Tank - Dying Ottos"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 07:34:05 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 09:19:10 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2014, 10:41:37 PM
by Fiona
39 Replies
Last post July 10, 2016, 06:14:58 PM
by Paddyc
13 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 12:18:40 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 06:45:10 AM
by mizuti
6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2021, 10:00:51 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: