New Tank - Cycle Or Use Water Additives?

Author Topic: New Tank - cycle or use water additives?  (Read 6052 times) 27 replies

Offline ChrisP1969

• Tropical Fish Forum User
New Tank - cycle or use water additives?
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:53:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :wave:

Hi everyone, I'm a newcomer to the hobby - I've done plenty of research of recent months, in terms of reference books, PFK magazine and of course; online research but have yet to acquire my first tank.

Over time, my 'planning' has evolved (on the premise that everything I've read seems to advise that bigger really is better, coupled with the fact that I live in a bungalow with only one location suitable to site a tank) from a Tetra 54l Starter set-up, to a Juwel Primo 60 through a 70 then a 110, to a Juwel Rio 125 to the point where I'm now saving towards a Juwel Vision 180.  Although I'm trying not to set my sights too high, I'm hoping to finish up with a live plant/rock/wood and of course; fish set-up.

As well as reading up, I've also visited and spoken to staff at a number of retailers in my area and almost without exception have been advised (sometimes quite disparagingly) that "cycling a new tank isn't actually necessary, we stock a full range of water conditioners that will let you add fish the same day, or certainly within 24hrs".

Am I just being recognised as a noob and targeted for easy sales.  How good are these products, should I go down that route or stick to my plan to be patient and cycle the tank the way I've read up about it.

Can anyone offer relevant advice, opinion or anecdote. please.  As I've mentioned, the space I have available is limited, so I'm intending going for the biggest start-up I can afford, but obviously I don't want to mess it up and waste money/make mistakes that will dim my enthusiasm for the hobby.

:fishy1:

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: New Tank - cycle or use water additives?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
Welcome :wave: and well done for doing the research in advance (the way it ought to be done) rather than after the event (the way many people do it, unfortunately).

I completely agree that bigger is better due to the inevitability of discovering there are more fish you'd like to keep, if only the tank were big enough - a 54-litre tank really only houses two minimum-number shoals of fish, for example, but there are soooooo many more species I'd love to keep if only I had a larger tank.

Your experience of retailers' advice is very common and your cynicism re this potentially being a sales tactic is correct. The evidence of effectiveness for these products is not clear at all - there are one or two products which show a bit more promise than others, but often this depends on it having been kept in line with its required conditions from manufacture through to arrival at the store, so the safest, most ethical and best way is to do the proper fishless cycle.

Hope that helps. :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I'm thrilled to hear that you have decided to go for a larger tank. You won't regret it.n ;D

It's great that you have researched fishless cycling, and are planning to go forward with it. I thought this might be helpful for you...
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/2017/7/20/promises-in-a-bottle?rq=cycling
Generally it is thought that some additives may speed up cycling, but it's not an overnight thing.
A good way to give a fishless cycle a kick start is to use some media from a mature tank to seed your filter. There are several people on this forum who are willing to send mature media. Even with this it can still take a couple of weeks to complete the cycle, but that's better than without.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:25:07 PM »
There are no products that cycle a tank within 24 hours. The two that actually do something if they have been stored correctly since manufacture are Dr Tims One & Only and Tetra Safe Start. Dr Tims isn't widely stocked in the UK, and most is imported - with the problems involved with freight being kept in cold conditions which won't do it any good. Try Tetra Safe Start but use it to do a fishless cycle rather than adding fish straight away.
I remember being in a shop a few years ago where the chap was telling a customer that all he had to do was buy this product and he must fully stock the tank at the same time or it wouldn't work. When I got home, I looked up the product and the manufacturer's website said that fish must be added very slowly, a few at a time, over several weeks.
I never believe anything a shop says.

Here's how to do a fishless cycle https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ Ammonia can be bought from Homebase in the cleaning section, Amazon, Ebay, and local diy shops (the one in my town stocks Jeyes KleenOff Household Ammonia)
If you use Tetra Safe Start the cycle should go quicker.

There is another alternative - do you plan on having live plants in the tank?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
I'm hoping to finish up with a live plant/rock/wood and of course; fish set-up.

If you can get to a point where the plants are growing happily in your tank (which you should be able to quicker than you can cycle a tank), you can add say three fish straight away and build up the stocking slowly adding up to a third more fish each week :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
Thanks Matt, I missed that  :-[  ;D

Provided you have more than just 2 or 3 plants, you can get away without cycling. Plants use ammonia as fertiliser and they usually extract it from the water faster than the filter bacteria. So provided the fish:plant ratio doesn't make more ammonia than the plants can extract, they'll take care of the ammonia for you.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:59 PM »
There are no products that cycle a tank within 24 hours. The two that actually do something if they have been stored correctly since manufacture are Dr Tims One & Only and Tetra Safe Start...

Don't forget Biomature, which has been cycling tanks successfully since the 1960s - the only one to be at all reliable until Dr Tim's.
Tetra Safe Start works now because it's make up has changed, and it now uses Dr Tim's 'recipe'. I'll be using it soon when I set up my big tank again, but I'll also be using PolyFilter, just in case.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 09:17:09 PM »
Wow, I wonder how they managed to get hold of the recipe. I'll bet they were cuffed to bits though.  :)

In the past I've used a combination of mature media from other tanks and some Safe Start to "boost" the bacteria (don't ask me to explain my logic, I have none), and the tanks have fully cycled in under a week, which I was happy with.

@hampalong what are you doing with your big tank?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
Hi

I keep seeing something called Aqua plus which is suppose to help cycling but no idea if it does or not. Maybe others might know more about it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 10:09:22 PM »
The Evolution Aqua "Pure Aquarium" product?
Hope this is helpful.
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/evolution-aqua-pure-aquarium-review

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »
I keep seeing something called Aqua plus which is suppose to help cycling but no idea if it does or not. Maybe others might know more about it.
There seem to be a number of non-fishkeeping products by that name but I assume the one you're referring to is Fluval Aqua Plus.  :)

I did read the Practical Fishkeeping mag staff making positive comments about their early experiences with Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II - but accepted that it was too premature to say anymore at present; I wonder if Microbe-Lift has got hold of the coveted recipe! The staff at my LFS tell me that Microbe-Lift Extreme is the same recipe as Seachem Prime.

I don't think any of these products are instantaneous, though.

In my naive days, and failing in a fishless cycle using fish food and without bicarbonate of soda (which I ought to have used due to such low KH of 1-2), I used Tetra SafeStart to get the process moving. However, knowing what I know now, I'd do a fishless cycle.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »

@hampalong what are you doing with your big tank?

I don't know. I have a very long shortlist, but I don't know how to decide. I always have this problem...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »
Me too.
So many fish, not enough tanks.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »
Wow, I wonder how they managed to get hold of the recipe.

Because Dr Tim identified the correct species of nitrite eater while employed by Marineland. He and Marineland jointly held the copyright. Dr Tim left to set up his own company, and could use the recipe because he was a copyright holder. Marineland was taken over by Tetra who could make Safe Start because they too now hold the copyright.

Once upon a time there were two other products, Biospira and Bactinettes, that also contained the right bacteria. One was American, one British but I can't remember which way round. You still see them mentioned occasionally in google searches.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 11:20:58 AM »
Ahhh, that makes sense.  :)

Offline ChrisP1969

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 06:31:58 PM »
 :wave:

Hello again and Thank You all for the replies and info. (esp. Littlefish and Sue for the helpful links).

Although this was/is my first post on here, I've been visiting the site for quite some time, mainly to read the Articles, Fish Profiles and of course; play around and daydream with the Community Creator (alas, so many fishy ideas and so little money/space  :( ).

I neglected to mention before; the water parameters for my area (as per my local water companies website) are:-

Slightly Hard @ 50mg/ltr Calcium and 125mg/ltr Calcium Carbonate (Clarke 8.75*, German 7.0*, French 12.5*)
and the most recent water report shows PH values of 7.3 Low / 7.7 High = 7.425 Mean Average.

Which suggest to me that either Cichlids or Rainbowfish would be the most appropriate families to consider
(at present I'm leaning towards the Rainbowfish, starting with a shoal of Dwarf Rainbowfish and then adding some, not all, of paired Boesman's / Lk.Tebera / Lk.Kutuba / Banded Rainbowfish as 'feature' fish) or am I being too ambitious, considering my level of inexperience.

The tank I'm aiming for (the Juwel Vision 180) has a 92 x 31/41cm footprint and ideally I'd like to have a combination of live plants with rock/wood hardscape.

So once again, any advice/suggestions regarding my ideas?

:fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 06:35:18 PM »
The community creator can be very addictive  :cheers:

Rainbowfish sound good to me.. careful if you do start looking at cichlids, for hard water you want the African ones not the South American ones for hard water. These are quite unique in terms of stocking as you need to overstock them and have a lot of rocks in the tank etc etc - they arnt really a beginner species.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
with those water parameters you could have almost any fish as the figures aren't high.
I would go for the African cichlids if I was going to set up a tank, but my water is 17dh german.
At 7dh german you have a lot more scope.
I am quite partial to rainbowfish though, they've got some lovely colours.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 07:12:32 PM »
Actually your water isn't hard at all. For fishkeeping, hard water starts at 10 german deg and yours is only 7. This is why it is better to go with numbers rather than words.
The two units used in fish profiles are ppm (which is the same as mg/l CaCO3) and dH aka German degrees. The values you need to compare to a species' hardness range are 125 ppm and 7.0 dH.

So to take your rainbowfish, Boeseman's and Lk Kubutu need hardness 10 - 20 dH; Lk Teberas 10 - 15 dH; and banded 8 - 20 dH. The word 'hard' in your water company's website is misleading.
And those 4 species also need to be in shoals of at least 6 of the same species and a tank at least 120 cm long.
Info from here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
Dwarf rainbows are the exception; they need hardness 5 - 15 dH and a tank over 60 cm long, so they'd be fine.

Provided you ignore fish that must have very soft water, the majority of soft water fish will be fine in your water. I'm afraid African cichlids - or at least the ones from the Rift Lakes like L Malawi and L Tanganyika - are not an option as your water is much too soft for them. But kribs (African river cichlids, Pelvicachromis pulcher) need hardness 0 - 12 dH so they'd be fine, as would the south American cichlids Apistogramma cacatuoides (0 - 268 ppm) and A. agassizii (0 - 179 ppm).

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »
When you've had a look at fish requirements on Seriously Fish, it's also worth having a look at this site
http://aqadvisor.com/
It's like a bigger version of the community creator here. Although the stocking levels are stricter, it also gives information on possible compatibility issues with any fish you've chosen, along with a temperature range where the requirements of all chosen fish overlap (or not, as the case may be).
 :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Tank - cycle or use water additives?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2012, 11:22:34 AM
by Mervyn
1 Replies
Last post January 23, 2014, 05:01:48 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 09:12:03 PM
by evan47
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2014, 10:10:07 AM
by aespp
5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 10:07:34 PM
by fdm
107 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 09:59:35 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: