New Tank

Author Topic: New tank  (Read 8018 times) 28 replies

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
New tank
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I've had my new tank for 2 weeks now and realised I'd not updated u guys with a pic of how it looks, I was given some filter media by a friend so it has seeded straight away and I've added 6 banded rainbows on Sunday here's a pic of the tank

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: New tank
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:34:20 AM »
And here's my rainbows

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
nice looking tank :)

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
Thanks Chris :cheers:

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
Certainly looks good.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 03:18:54 PM »
Rainbows are looking good. Notice you have a Boyu tank - I was considering one of these before I settled on my Juwel. How are you finding the tank?

Offline gummy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:21:48 PM »
great looking set up

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
Oooo nice set up, I was wondering about possibly using just a soft substrate in our next tank but curious as to how you would keep it clean. What do you do?

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »
Rainbows are looking good. Notice you have a Boyu tank - I was considering one of these before I settled on my Juwel. How are you finding the tank?

I bought it about a week before they took £50 off the price  :vcross: from all pond solutions! The tank is great and comes with everything I use an external filter as I wasn't keen on the hood filter it comes with. The stand is very stable and easy to put together (I did it by myself in around 2 hours) I would definitely recommend it especially as it's half the price as anything else for the same volume. It is very deep though which is perfect for me as I plan on keeping Angels.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:29:41 AM »
Oooo nice set up, I was wondering about possibly using just a soft substrate in our next tank but curious as to how you would keep it clean. What do you do?

Thanks for the nice comment! I've always used sand in my tanks and find if I wave the siphon just above the sand it picks up a lot of the waste and not much substrate. My plants also seem to do better in sand than gravel.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:39:39 AM »
 :cheers: thanks for the kind comments guys! Hoping to add some pencil fish this weekend as long as my testings come back ok and I can find a shop that sells them!

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
The tank is great and comes with everything I use an external filter as I wasn't keen on the hood filter it comes with. The stand is very stable and easy to put together (I did it by myself in around 2 hours) I would definitely recommend it especially as it's half the price as anything else for the same volume. It is very deep though which is perfect for me as I plan on keeping Angels.

I do like the look of the Boyu tanks but couldn't find much info on them which is why I decided to go with a Juwel (although I'm very happy with my Juwel!). I'll keep one in mind for my second tank, once I've got permission from the OH of course  ;)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »
I prefer using a wine siphon tube on sand instead of a fish one. Narrower tube so more control over just what gets sucked up, and a rigid tube that slots onto one end making it easy to control. I leave the tap off one end and the cup off the other. This one has a short tube but you can get them longer or join two with a bit cut off the rigid piece. The only downside is that I have to fill it with water at the tap and carefully carry it to the tank before putting one end in the water and the other in a bucket.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »
The only downside is that I have to fill it with water at the tap and carefully carry it to the tank before putting one end in the water and the other in a bucket.

You mean you don't suck-start your syphon? I thought everybody did that! ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
It's a pity we don't have a 'being sick' smiley on the forum  ;D I've seen some lovely green ones with that expression on other forums.
I know that people who do suck say a mouthful of tank water does them no harm, but I do draw the line at that *imagine green face about to throw up*

This is what I mean  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »
It's a pity we don't have a 'being sick' smiley on the forum  ;D I've seen some lovely green ones with that expression on other forums.
I know that people who do suck say a mouthful of tank water does them no harm, but I do draw the line at that *imagine green face about to throw up*

This is what I mean  ;D

I always have to do that... I definitely see where you're coming from it's pretty grim! Mine has never automatically started just by the movement though.  I bought a new siphon online which I keep forgetting to pick up from thedepot which has an almost pump on it that starts it up. .. hopefully no more tank water mouthfuls for me!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 10:46:14 AM »
I normally use the shake it up and down a few times method on my 40cm deep tank and it works fine for emptying, but have to take a mouthful of dechlorinated water to fill it, as the bucket I use isn't as deep as the tank.
The other day I couldn't get the siphon to work so used suck up a mouthful method.
Had a bad tummy that evening. Coincidence??

Sorry, thread hijack!
Very nice looking tank!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Just me then! :-\  I reckon that if I can't survive a mouthful of it then I shouldn't expect them to live in it.

OK, does anyone else use the cheese knife and board for chopping up frozen bloodworm blocks? (Thought not :) )

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
How about an old tile left over from the bathroom and a cheap paring knife?

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
If you put one end of the hose into a (clean) bottle, then suck on a bottle, any water that comes out will flow into the bottle. You then move the hose from the bottle into the bucket and Bob's your uncle! ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 11:18:41 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: