New Tank

Author Topic: New tank  (Read 8035 times) 28 replies

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: New tank
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I do use a normal chopping board and knife for bloodworm. It's certainly no worse than chopping chicken.
I don't use my cheeseboard though, it being wooden and not so easy to wash. But wood does have it's own antibacterial properties.
I'm trying to work out what you mean Pawel, think I see, might try it.

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:57 PM »
Oops Colin I actually meant that I use your method not Sue's but understood why she didn't like it!! I have a special knife for my frozen food though hehe

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 05:19:03 PM »
Here are two simple ways of starting a syphon without getting tank water in your mouth.

Method 1
  • Take the end of the tube you are using and mark off a point about 1 1/2 to 2 times the depth of your tank from the end.
  • Make sure the tube is open and free from instruction.
  • Feed the tank end of the tube into the tank making sure that it doesn't curl round and poke above the surface.
  • Keep feeding the tube into your tank until you reach the mark you made earlier.
  • When the marked length is below water level, seal the bucket end with your finger or a cork or a clamp or something.
  • Place the bucket end in the bucket.  ::)
  • Withdraw the tube from your tank until the marked bit is below the open end in your tank.
  • Remove the Finger/Clamp and the siphon will start
It doesn't matter whether the tube is 2m long or 200m.

Method 2
I use this one all the time for emptying my tank by (20m) hose pipe.
  • Lay-out the hose as it will be when the siphon is active. Tank end should be secured in some way, especially if it's out of sight of the other end, in my case in the bathroom.
  • Make sure that the hose immediately upon exiting from the tank, runs down below the level of the tank.
  • When ready, suck on the open end. You need to suck enough to fill the tank end from the start of the hose to the point where the hose runs below tank-level.
  • When you have sucked enough, the siphon will start and fill the rest of the hose for you. I find two mouthfuls is plenty.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
I know that people who do suck say a mouthful of tank water does them no harm, but I do draw the line at that *imagine green face about to throw up*

If it's good enough for your fish then it's good enough for you!!  :rotfl:

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
OK, does anyone else use the cheese knife and board for chopping up frozen bloodworm blocks? (Thought not :) )

Yes actually, although I use the veg knife  ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »
I run the siphon tubing under a tap until it comes all the way through and then just clamp my finger over one end to stop it pouring out and hey presto..completely full siphon tubing, then I fill gravel cleaner in the tank and attach the tubing to it in the tank, keeping my finger over the other end.

Offline Digs1923

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
I ALWAYS start mine off by sucking it through and spitting the mouthful I get into the bucket I'm syphoning into.  The water looks so clean, I kid myself it's safe, lol.  AND I use my veg knife to chop up the frozen bloodworms on my regular chopping board.   :o  I'm of the belief that the more "dirt" you eat, the more healthy you are..... it's worked so far  :rotfl:

Black Widow Tetra (4) - Glowlight Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (7) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 07:36:40 PM »
You aren't married to my husband  :-\
I foolishly used the word bacteria several years ago and since then he insists that the tank is teeming with germs which will make me seriously ill if they don't kill me first. If I don't sterilise everything that goes anywhere near a tank to within an inch of its life, he nags me for days.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 01:10:20 AM »
I'm a nurse and have built up quite a good resistance to buglies over the years but no way would I suck a fish tank water into my mouth..lmao! Have you seen the poop that comes out of a good gravel cleaning session?   

I seriously hope you brush your teeth and gargle with a flippin good anti-septic mouth wash before you kiss the missus  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:02:12 PM
by Resa
13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 11:18:41 AM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: