New Mollies

Author Topic: New mollies  (Read 5504 times) 11 replies

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
New mollies
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello
I have just bought my first fish 2x black/white mollies  :)
They are in the bag floating at the moment I was wondering what "normal" behavior would be at this point? One fish is calm swiming quietly around the bag, the other is more feisty! he keeps darting back and forth like hes trying to figure out how to get out of the bag.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
Re: New mollies
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
Hi Joker Fish and welcome to the forum,

I dont think there is "normal" behaviour for a fish in the bag - not with any species. They have gone through quite a bad day at this point and some take it more in their stride than others do. Mollies are livebearers (give birth to live young, not lay eggs) and it has been known for a female to give birth in the bag from the stress. One of my mollies gave birth 36 hours after purchase. So dont be surprised if you suddenly see wee fry in your tank! Unless you have two males of course. Which, by the way, were you told that mollies are best kept in a ratio of at least two (preferably more) females per male? This is because males spend most of their time chasing females. If there is only one female in the tank then it is quite possible she could be hounded to death whereas if the male has a choice, it gives one female a break whilst he chases the other. Hence why I prefer to say at least 3 females per male.

May I ask, do you know about cycling the filter? Because if you dont, then you are now technically doing whats known as a "fish-in" cycle. Sue has done a very helpful post on how to do this and she will also answer any questions you may have if you get in a pickle or dont understand whats happening.

Feel free to ask any questions - there are plenty of people on here to help you out  ;)

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:18 AM »
Hi Chucklett
I know about cycling I have a book "The Perfect Aquarium" by Jeremy Gay that i have read and re-read and over and over!
I have just tested using the strips and results were all in the "ok"
is it worth me taking a water sample to lfs for testing or should the strips alone be enough?
I also noticed when i opened lid to test that the tank already has that "fish water" smell, I know tanks have a "smell' how much should a healthy tank smell?  ;D

I have attached pictures of my boys!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »
Fish tanks should smell of freshly dug earth. Anything else is a bit suspect.

I know Anna will disagree, but most people consider liquid reagent tests to be more accurate. Do your strips test for ammonia? That is one of the most important, so if they don't you'll need a separate tester for that.
Also, what do they define as 'safe'? Any reading for ammonia and nitrite other than zero is not safe. Even the 0.25 for ammonia and nitrite recommended as the max for fish-in cycling is not safe; it is just less damaging than higher levels.

You could ask the shop to test your water, but make sure they give you the numbers not just a word like 'OK'

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
The test strips are made by Tetra and are called Test 6 in 1, they test for; CL2 (chlorine), NO2 and NO3 (nitrite and nitrate), ph, also GH and KH (like a plum i binned the instructions and now dont know what these are  ::)
when i have tested the results on these falls within a range on the results guide as "ok" unfortunatly it isnt clear what action would be required if the result was not "ok" grrr!

I have been out and bought the API freshwater test kit today and will be testing tonight hopefully

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
I have the API liquid test kit. Just a heads up with the ammonia test - the liquid in the tube can look a bit greener than it really is under energy saving bulbs. If you still have any old fashioned bulbs left, look at it under that.
And the nitrate tester - you really do have to shake bottle 2 like it says. With it being new, give it a good bang on something hard before you start (not so hard you split the bottle  ;D ). One of the reagents settles on the bottom. The shaking is to mix it back in, and the banging is to break up any lumps that form when it's stood a while.

Let us know what the readings are, especially ammonia and nitrite. If they are above zero, you'll need to do a water change to get it/them down.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »
The test strips are made by Tetra and are called Test 6 in 1, they test for; CL2 (chlorine), NO2 and NO3 (nitrite and nitrate), ph, also GH and KH (like a plum i binned the instructions and now dont know what these are  ::)
when i have tested the results on these falls within a range on the results guide as "ok" unfortunatly it isnt clear what action would be required if the result was not "ok" grrr!

GH is General Hardness, the sort that furs-up your kettle and shower. It seems that the German Scale of degrees hardness is used in fishkeeping, and your local water company will have the latest report and show  a 'Total hardness' in ppm. (Mine's 286ppm. Divide by 17.9 to get degrees. i.e. Mine's 16o)
Different web-sites say different things about hardness, but this is what I use....
  • 0-4 very soft
  • 4-8 soft
  • 8-12 moderately hard
  • 12-16 hard
  • 16+ very hard

KH is Carbonate Hardness and shows how good your water is to resisting pH swings, it's a 'buffer capacity'. Hard water tends to be high ph (7.5+, mines 7.6) and well buffered - i.e. stable - which is very good for the fishes health. A stable water chemistry is far more important than a specific set of numbers for most fish.

This is a really good article:
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/testing-for-ph-and-hardness-in-an-aquarium.html

Hope this helps.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
Hard water tends to be high ph (7.5+, mines 7.6) and well buffered - i.e. stable

If hard water tends to be high pH, does that mean a high pH should be hard water?

My notoriously "soft" (cornwall) tap water is over 8. It is not well buffered because it drops to 6.8 - 7.0 in less than 24 hours, leaving me to believe its softer than a baby's bum. I have to leave buckets of water stand overnight before I can use it in my tanks (which are about 7.0).

Are we Cornish weirder than Worzel?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:38 AM »
If hard water tends to be high pH, does that mean a high pH should be hard water?

Nope.

My notoriously "soft" (cornwall) tap water is over 8. It is not well buffered because it drops to 6.8 - 7.0 in less than 24 hours, leaving me to believe its softer than a baby's bum. I have to leave buckets of water stand overnight before I can use it in my tanks (which are about 7.0).

Mines rises slightly from 7.2 to 7.6 overnight, and I have no idea about babies and their bottoms.  :P

Yep.  :)

Here's what SouthWest water say about your water hardness:-

http://www.southwestwater.co.uk/media/pdf/0/2/Water_hardness.pdf

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:06 AM »
Hard water tends to be high ph (7.5+, mines 7.6) and well buffered - i.e. stable

The high pH = high hardness thing is just a general guideline, and there are definitely exceptions to it.

pH is an upside down measure of how many hydrogen ions [H+] there are in the water (upside down meaning the lower the number the more H+ and vice versa)
GH is a measure of how much calcium and magnesium there are in the water
KH is a measure of how much the water resists changes in pH

Having a lot of calcium and magnesium in the water tends to lower the amount of H+. So high GH = lots of calcium, resulting in less H+ and high pH.

With your soft water, it just means you don't have much calcium and magnesium in your water. But those are not the only things in there, they are just what makes water 'hard'. There will be other things in there too that aren't measured and these other things can also reduce the H+ in the water.

Water that is soft and alkaline like yours has very little calcium and magnesium(ie low GH) but it does have something else in the water that makes the pH high.

My water has
pH 7.4 fresh, 7.6 standing
GH 9 with the API test kit, 6 on my water supplier's website
KH 3 with API test kit

Hmmmm, must go test my GH. I just looked at the water company's site after typing that and they now say 4.76o german hardness, the unit the API tester uses. And they say that is at the higher end of moderately soft.

Edit.
6 drops for the colour change with the GH tester - GH = 6
3 drops for the colour change with the KH tester - KH = 3

Offline Joker Fish

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
My larger mollie has started to "roll" his body against items in the tank ie plants (plastic/silk) and in the substrate (sand) what is he doing? smaller male isnt doing it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »
It could be the effect of ammonia - it irritates the fish's skin. The big one might be more susceptible. Cure - keep the ammonia level as low as possible.
It could be the early stages of a disease called ich or whitespot. Keep an eye on it, check to see if it looks as though it's been sprinkled with salt. If these spots do appear, this is an easily curable disease, come back and ask.
Or it could be something called the shimmies, though that is usually the fish sort of swimming on the spot. This is an affliction of mollies kept in soft water. other than increasing the hardness, I don't know if it is curable.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New mollies"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2014, 12:00:21 PM
by Sue
New Mollies

Started by LT « 1 2 » Fish Health

37 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 10:43:12 AM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2016, 07:32:01 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 02:45:18 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: