New Lampeyes Keep Dieing!

Author Topic: New lampeyes keep dieing!  (Read 4318 times) 5 replies

Offline AnnekaM

New lampeyes keep dieing!
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

I was given a 55 litre fish tank for my bday in July and I have recently added some lampeyes after leaving it to cycle for about 8weeks. They are gradually dieing and I have no idea why. My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are fine. I have hard water if that makes a difference. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am losing my fish?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Salt and Pepper Catfish (4) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New lampeyes keep dieing!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
Firstly.... welcome to the forum.

The only 'fine' levels of Ammonia and Nitrite is 0ppm. What is your Nitrate level?

When you say you 'left' the tank to cycle did you add Ammonia to cause it to cycle? It won't cycle all by itself and needs intervention and careful monitoring for a cycle to occur.

If I could cut'n'paste this extract from this site's text about lampeyes (here).... These little fish are very sensitive to adverse water conditions, especially ammonia and nitrites, so are not recommended for new aquariums or novice fish keepers. ....so they may not be such a good choice for your first fish.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline AnnekaM

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »
Hi,
Thank you for replying,

My ammonia and nitrite levels are 0ppm and nitrates are between 20-40ppm and the tank gets twice weekly quarter tank water changes. To cycle the tank I did use ammonia and the ammonia and nitrites were at 0ppm before I added the lampeyes. I have been monitoring my water closely and I don't understand why I am steadily loosing my fish

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
What symptoms do they show - as much info as possible please.

When I first set up my tank I lost quite a few fish (guppies and platies) for no apparant reason. After the tank had 'matured' (about 6 months) then this stopped.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline AnnekaM

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
Hi,

Some are hanging near the surface (around 4/5) some swimming around the tank. Tank has an air tube on the pump to oxygenate the water and temp is currently 26 degrees. I suspect the ones that die are the ones hanging at the surface. I have a fair number of plants in the tank too if it helps.

Thank you

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:53:31 AM »
A couple of things you could try....

An air tube on the pump? Is this a venturi that creates lots of bubbles? You really need a disturbed water surface for gas exchange to take place.

Take your tank temp down one degree a day to 24o. You're at the top end of their temp range at 26o and warmer water also holds less oxygen.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New lampeyes keep dieing!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 02:01:23 PM
by echod

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: