New Fishkeeper, Stocking Help

Author Topic: New Fishkeeper, stocking help  (Read 7521 times) 38 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New Fishkeeper, stocking help
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The link Colin gave is by Neale Monks, one of the leading fish keeping experts. You can trust anything he writes.

Some of the best, most colourful fish for hard water are the common livebearers - endlers, guppies, platies, swordtails and mollies. The downside is that a group of both sexes will give you a lot of fry. Every female will drop a batch of fry every month. The answer is to get just one sex. Females will still drop fry for a few months as they can store sperm, but should eventually stop. Males, particularly swordtail males, could fight though.

Do you have a particular rainbow species in mind? It might be easiest if you take a look at your local shops and see which rainbows they stock, then take it from there.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 02:33:44 PM »
But don't get too hung up on "hard water fish". There are plenty of the more popular fish that will do perfectly well in a wide range of water conditions. That's one reason why they are popular!

If you have hard water it means that you should NOT have specifically soft water demanding fish, which is different from saying that you can ONLY have hard water specific fish. Look at the profiles on this site for any fish you fancy.

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
And for any fish you see in shops which are not on this site, look at Seriously Fish

Offline gerd1986

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
So much great advise on here, I really appreciate it!

So the tank is setup now and filled it up last night so I'm starting the fishless cycle. I will post up pictures tonight as I know you lot like pictures. I must say that the Python I bough for filling the tank is amazing! What a great piece of kit!

On the Plant front, I am choosing for synthetic plants. I'm really not a fan of the real ones and I don't want something else to look after.

On the fish front I have decided I'm getting way too ahead of myself, I'm now considering just starting with Rainbow fish, baby Angel fish and Tetras. The reason for the baby angel fish is I'm hoping they grow up with the tetras and don't try and eat them. Finally a L200 or queen arabesques Plec to help out with cleaning.

I know Angelfish are suited to Soft Water but I have ready many articles with people happily keeping Angels in Hard water so I'm going to give it a try.

I'm planning on mixing Angelfish and Rainbow fish specifies to get a lot of colours in the tank!

@Colin - Great article, brilliant read...thank you!

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
A couple of tips for you -
Silk plants look more realistic than plastic ones
Deep bodied tetras are less likely to be eaten than torpedo shaped tetras

Since you want imitation plants, don't put them in till the cycle has finished. I know they would make the tank look nicer but they will get covered in brown algae (diatoms) which you'll have to clean off. And leave the light off to reduce the amount of algae. It's only when you use live plants that you need the light on, and with no fish in the tank you don't need lights during cycling.

Offline gerd1986

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »
Thanks sue, I have left the lights off for now.

I haven't bought the plats yet and I'm glad I haven't, thank you for the advise about getting silk ones.

Do you have an example of Deep bodied tetras? Like the diamond ones?

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »
Yes, that sort of shape. Black widow is another example. There are a few around, but avoid serpae's as they will likely nip the fins of angels.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 07:21:38 PM »
As for the silk plants, mine are all silk too, mainly from Aqua One, AquaManta, Hugo Kamishi, and BiOrb. The ones with the ball-shaped, weighted base are particularly good as they don't topple over whereas sometimes the other ones can topple over if the substrate isn't carefully built up around the base to cover them.

If buying online, read the description and look at the picture carefully - there are a few plants advertised as silk but actually only the leaves are silk whereas the stems (which can sometimes be the bulk of the plant) are plastic. If the description says "silk leaves" rather than just "silk", then that's usually a sign that the remainder of the plant isn't silk.

Offline gerd1986

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »
Thanks FCMF, I will have a look at the fully silk Plants.

So I'm into day 2 of the fish-less cycle and I'm hoping someone could tell me if I'm on the right track?

Tap Water:

Acidity PH: 7
General Hardness GH: 302.6ppm
Alkalinity KH: 178ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm

1 Day after adding Fluval Cycle (I got this park of a package so thought I would try it):

Acidity PH: 8
General Hardness GH: 302.6ppm
Alkalinity KH: 178ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm

12hr after adding Ammonia (I though I should do it properly so switched to Ammonia):

Ammonia: 10ppm

24hr after adding Ammonia

Ammonia: 10ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

So I there is obviously way too much ammonia in the tank, do I just leave this now and let it come down naturally as the bacteria builds up?

Cheers,

Gary

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »
In my opinion you need to do a water change to get the ammonia down to 3 ppm. 10 ppm is just too much.

1 ppm ammonia makes 2.7 ppm nitrite, so that 10 ppm will make 27 ppm nitrite. At 15 ppm, nitrite inhibits the growth of the nitrite eating bacteria so the cycle stalls. Since no test kits can measure as high as 15 ppm (they just show the highest colour on the chart) you won't know if your nitrite has passed the critical level.
The method written up on here was designed so that nitrite could never get to that figure if followed strictly.

You need to do a 70% water change.

Look on it as good practice for when you have fish  :)

Oh, and Nutrafin (or Fluval or whatever it's called now) Cycle isn't very highly regarded. Even if it worked it would still need a source of ammonia. It might help with growing the ammonia eaters but it is one of those that is reckoned not to do anything for the nitrite eaters.

This product used to be called Nutrafin Cycle, but Nutrafin and Fluval are both made by Hagen so it's probably the same stuff.

Offline gerd1986

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks again for the advice Sue!

So I have done a 70% water change, I bough a python which has made life a lot easier for the water changes.

What I have just realized when writing this is that I didn't treat the water I just put in.  :vcross: so when I get home tonight I need to do that first thing or have I just killed off any (if any) work that has already been done?

After the water change the Ammonia went down to 2-3ppm but the test kit I have doesn't have a specific colour for 3 so I'm eyeing it a bit. I'm using this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L5I8N64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The geek in me has created a spreadsheet to track the progress of the cycle, and I'm hoping this makes it easier to find any issues:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wGCqRdzZYwe3DQF_xZJUIA4iCt-dn8qbhziGJBfYTQM/edit?usp=sharing

Lastly I have made a contribution to the site as this is such an amazing source of information, help and a friendly community. Thank you all so much for the help so far.

And for those who are interested I have added a picture of my tank, I know I'm going to get heat about the ornaments in the Acquarium but each to their own  :) We love it. Silk plants going in once the cycle is complete.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »
I still maintain the spreadsheets I started on all 3 tanks. They are an invaluable source of data, particularly if you have a problem ..... or, e.g. "how long have I had that fish". Although, I have to say mine have really now become diaries rather than spreadsheets. I find that if I don't record, e.g., when I did a w/c, it's easy to miss one if you're busy. There is no substitute for the facts!

Skittler

Offline ColinB

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
Nice tank Gerd. You won't get heat for the decor, there's plenty there for the fish to nose around and hide away in. Broken lines of sight are needed in a tank so a fish can escape if it's being hassled for any reason.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »
What I have just realized when writing this is that I didn't treat the water I just put in.  :vcross: so when I get home tonight I need to do that first thing or have I just killed off any (if any) work that has already been done?

If you mean you forgot to add dechlorinator, no problem. The few bacteria in your tap water will still be there and multiplying then once the dechlorinator is added the newly formed bacteria won't be killed off before they can divide in turn to make more. The danger time is with newly forming bacteria colonies. Yours won't have got started properly yet.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »
Nice tank. Please keep posting pictures as you add to it, we enjoy watching the progress.
Nothing wrong with keeping a spreadsheet. I've moved my tanks around, planted them, and occasionally moved fish to different tanks, I'd have no idea what was going on if I didn't keep a record.  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 05:46:35 PM »
Are your input and output pipes next to each other? I think they need to be at opposite ends of the tank, I could be wrong though  :-\

edited to add: I think the tank looks lovely however your corals may well get covered with brown algae as you've just started cycling the tank and they'd be impossible to get clean unless they're resin

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 05:57:50 PM »
Very smart looking tank, it'll look even better with foliage  8)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 07:29:24 PM »
Lovely tank.

[I'm assuming that's a timer beside the plug. If so, that's absolutely fine, but if it happened to be one of the plug-in perfumes (which i don't think it is but just double-checking), then best to remove it as it can cause all sorts of problems if near a fishtank.]

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
Or it could be a JETech wirefree door chime  ;)  It's the musical notes on the front that gave it away  ;D

The door chime in question

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Fishkeeper, stocking help"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 04:06:12 PM
by engineer_tom
4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 06:45:59 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 08:04:46 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 12:28:08 PM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 03:24:51 AM
by Andrea
2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 07:36:13 AM
by Richard W
45 Replies
Last post December 04, 2017, 08:53:51 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: