New Fish

Author Topic: New fish  (Read 3926 times) 12 replies

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
New fish
« on: April 09, 2016, 04:56:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So after operation Big Clean, water has settled, and so we went out today and bought two new pepper corys (planned), a plant (planned) and I impulse bought three cherry shrimp because they're cute. I know this is not the best criteria on which to choose fish, but I did it.   :D

Put them in the tank, and I already can't find one cherry shrimp - but they're small, so she may well be hiding.  And as a bonus, we asked for two, but the man caught an extra male by mistake, and said, "Oh, you can have that one as well - you might even get babies". So that would be very exciting.

However, I don't really know what I should feed my poor shrimps. :(

I feed flake food, sinking pellets for the corys, algae wafers, frozen live food, and occasional treat things that you stick on the glass, that none of them really seem to bother with.  Plus there's a plant in there.

Will this be OK for them, or should I give them something else as well, and if so what, because they're sooooooo tiny!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New fish
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »
Shrimps will eat virtually all fish food, though if you scrunch a few flakes up to just about dust they will find the bits easier to eat.

Shrimps will hide if they don't feel safe (and being new to the tank they'll be timid at first) and when they are shedding their skins as they are vulnerable to being eaten till the new skin hardens - even if the fish in the tank don't eat shrimps their instincts still make the shrimps hide. The shipwreck decor should provide some hiding places, and if you don't want to risk more live plants, silk ones will also provide hiding places and look more natural than plastic ones.
On the subject of shedding skins, shrimps need to do this to grow. If you find what look like hollow white shrimps on the bottom of the tank, don't panic, they are the shed skins. Shrimps are supposed to eat these but mine don't seem to bother. Leave them there till next water change and if they haven't been eaten by then, hoover them out.

If you have male and female shrimps you should get babies. The females will first develop a saddle shaped patch on the back. This is the ovaries filling with eggs showing through the skin. When they are ready the eggs will move down to between the swimmerets under the female's abdomen and hang there like berries - it is called being berried! As the eggs move down the female will secrete a pheromone to 'notify' the males, which will then start swimming all over the tank to find her and fertilise the eggs. After a few weeks the eggs will hatch. The babies are very tiny. I always suck some up during a water change and have to search for them in the old water so I don't throw any away. You won't be able to see them in the bucket; I use a jug to empty the bucket bit by bit and suck the babies out of the jug with a pipette.

Some of us, me included, had problems with shrimps dying shortly after purchase. I was advised by an expert member on here that the most likely cause was a shrimp-specific bacterium in my tank and the best way to deal with it as to get some beta glucans powder to help boost their immune systems. I found that worked to the extent that I have no idea how many shrimps I have now. Should you find the same thing happening, you can find Genchem Beta G on various websites.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
Beta G is great stuff. I did lose a male cherry shrimp today but as he was adult when I got him it could well have been old age. When I first started keeping shrimp I had awful problems with them dying but thankfully it's not the case now. Good luck with them, they are great fun to watch.  :)

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I did think that the male had already died.  I saw him just float down from the top, upside down, and land on the bottom.  I called my hubby over, just in time for him to turn himself over, and swim off as happy as Larry!  Bit strange.

I'll watch out for them to make sure they're OK over the next few days, and I'll definitely look out for that beta G if I need it.

Am I right in thinking that they don't add massively to the bio load in the tank?  Very conscious of my tiny tank, and that there are already a few fish in there.

Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:07:13 PM »
They do add a bit of bioload but not much. Not as much as a fish of the same dimensions.

Wait till you see a shrimp walking upside down under the water surface to collect floating food  ;D

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
They do add a bit of bioload but not much. Not as much as a fish of the same dimensions.

Wait till you see a shrimp walking upside down under the water surface to collect floating food  ;D

Thank you!  I think they're going to drive me insane!  I worry about my fish, so I like to do regular counts.  Shrimp seem to be very good at hiding and very hard to count!!  And when they're asleep, they look dead!

Also, shrimp don't like being poked by over enthusiastic owners when they're asleep, to check they're they're NOT dead.  Just so you know.   :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »
I have to say that the more I read, the more I'm thinking that shrimp in general are quite awesome little characters:- giving the males grief, stealing food from fish, walking on the underside of the water surface to collect food and reacting badly to owners waking them. Brilliant.  8)

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »
You could always set up another tank for shrimps  ;D It wouldn't need to be large......

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 06:53:51 PM »
You could always set up another tank for shrimps  ;D It wouldn't need to be large......

Sue!! You temptress  :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 06:57:40 PM »
 :rotfl:
Good lord! Anyone would think that I have no self control.
 :-[
Well, I've moved my mature axolotls to a 200L tank today.
The tiger barbs are going to be moved to the 125L tank eventually.
So technically I do have a "spare" 70L tank.
 ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:21:31 PM »
A 70 litre. Hmmm, cherry shrimps, one of the dwarf cories, a shoal of micro-fish. That sounds familiar - ahh it's my 50 litre tank  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »
See, you are a bad influence.
 ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
A 70 litre. Hmmm, cherry shrimps, one of the dwarf cories, a shoal of micro-fish. That sounds familiar - ahh it's my 50 litre tank  ;D

Sounds like the plans for my shrimpery too  :)  MTS can be a joyful affliction.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post September 14, 2021, 03:21:50 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: