New Filter

Author Topic: New filter  (Read 3896 times) 8 replies

Offline evo676

• Tropical Fish FTW!
New filter
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am very new to tropical fish keeping, and this is my first post on this forum, so Hi Guys.
My old filter in an established tank is making a terrible noise, I think it is about to pack in.  I have just purchased a Fluvial U4 filter to replace it in my 200l tank.  Is it just a matter of taking the sponges and media from my old filter and putting them into my new unused filter and everything will be fine when I up it into my tank ? or is there anything else I need to be aware of  ?

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
Re: New filter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
Hi Evo, and welcome

If possible, try and run the filters together until your existing one packs up.

If you can put some of the media from the existing one in to the U4 easily, then do so.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
I have checked the U4 instruction manual and see that it has a biomax cartridge in the centre, 2 boxes which hold sponges and two poly carbon pads.

I would put the new biomax in the centre box but squeeze as much of the old media as possible in place of the sponges and poly carbon pads. That is, unless the old filter uses biomax, in which case out the old biomax into the new filter. Any media that won't fit into the new filter, leave in the old filter until it does give out.

When the old filter dies, if there is any of the old media inside you will lose the bacteria on that but the bacteria in the media you put into the U4 and all the bacteria in the other surfaces inside the tank will soon multiply to make up the loss. keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite for a few days to be on the safe side, and do a water change if you see either of them above 0.25.

If you would rather end up with all new media in the U4, wait until the tank has been running a month with just this filter then change one bit of media every month till you have all new.

But I wouldn't bother with the poly carbon pads. You don't need to use carbon full time. The poly part will catch small particles that go through a sponge so maybe use just a layer of filter wool instead of the pads.

Offline evo676

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:50:59 PM »
Brilliant, do I replace the new sponges and Poly pads with my sponges from my mature filter ?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »
Yes. If they are the wrong shape just cut them to the right shape - you can use the ones that come with the U4 as a template. It doesn't matter if you end up with several odd shaped bits as long as they fill the U4 without leaving gaps for the water to sneak through and avoid the sponges.

When ever you mess with a filter it is worth keeping an eye on ammonia and nitrite for several days and also if you remove media. And feed the fish lightly for a couple of days before and after to reduce the amount of ammonia they make.

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
evo,
f the old filter media isn't quite big enough to replace one of the new filter pads, don't cut the new pads down. Go to a "pound" shop and buy a cheap dishwashing sponge and cut that down to fit.

Also, have a look on Chinabay for replacement U4 pads for future use.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »
buy a cheap dishwashing sponge and cut that down to fit.

But be careful it is not impregnated with detergent or anti-bac or some such.

Offline evo676

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:56:45 AM »
Many thanks guys for the advice, I will try what you have suggested .  Fingers crossed all goes swimmingly  :fishy1:

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »
You have to be careful with sponge. There are two basic types; Reticulated foam; Where the bubbles in the foam are open and will allow water to pass freely through the sponge. The second, called unreticulated (well, i never), the bubbles in the foam are closed and will interfere with water flow. The first type is what you require.

You can buy the proper foam pads in bulk from eBay. They cost pennies and you know you have the right type.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New filter"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
by suep
2 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
by biffster
9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 08:27:14 AM
by sjames
5 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 05:00:40 PM
by rosaleen
2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
by fcmf
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:05:43 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: