New Aquarium Which Fish Are To Be Next

Author Topic: New Aquarium which fish are to be next  (Read 3015 times) 6 replies

Offline SmileyMick

• Tropical Fish FTW!
New Aquarium which fish are to be next
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have just purchased a 180 litre aquarium (4 weeks ago) and have put 4 Clown Loach in it (2 weeks ago) they see to be enjoying things but I am now wondering what would be a good mix of fish with the Clown loach.... I'd appreciate any help

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (4) - Red Rainbowfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (14) - Ruby Barb (6) - Melon Barb (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Rosy Barb (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Bristlenose Plec (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New Aquarium which fish are to be next
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Hi Mick  :wave:

Did you cycle the tank with ammonia before getting fish or are you doing a fish-in cycle? If it's the latter, you can't get any more fish until you are sure both ammonia and nitrite stay at zero.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but clown loaches are not suitable for a 180 litre tank. They need a tank with a base at least 180 x 60cm, and a tank with those measurements is going to be at least 500 litres. They grow to over 30cm long. Yoyo or zebra loaches are more suited to a 180 litre tank.

Having said that, tank mates for clown loaches just need to avoid slow swimming fish and those with trailing fins as clown loaches are apt to nip them. Any shoaling fish that grows big enough to avoid being eaten by a 30cm long fish would be fine.

Offline SmileyMick

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
Many thanks Sue.....I didn't even know about cycling the tank with Ammonia!!!! Eek something else I've done wrong.

However; strangely I did get the water tested by the shop before I bought the fish and was intending to get it retested before I added and more fish but was curious as to what would be good companions

So much to learn so little time. How long can I expect my fish to live for???

Sorry to be such a complete novice

Mick  :(

Clown Loach (4) - Red Rainbowfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (14) - Ruby Barb (6) - Melon Barb (4) - Golden Barb (4) - Rosy Barb (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Bristlenose Plec (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »
Clown loaches live a very long time. The most famous clown loach, Marge, died aged 20 years.

Don't worry, everyone was a new starter once, even me  ;D And a lot of shops/tank manufacturers give some terrible advice.

Getting the water tested before you got fish would have given you results for plain tapwater. With no fish to create ammonia, it should have been perfect. Once you put fish in the tank they would have been excreting ammonia. With no bacteria in the filter this would have built up. But with four juvenile clown loaches in 180 litres, it would take quite a while to build up to dangerous levels.
Have a read of this. It explains what happens when fish are added to an uncycled tank, and what you need to do. The good news is that with just the four fish, your levels will take quite a while to become dangerous. But you do need a test kit to monitor ammonia and nitrite so you know when they do become dangerous. Liquid reagent test kits (the ones with bottles and test tubes) are more accurate than the strips which you dip in water. They are cheaper on-line.
In your case you have an added reason to keep an eye on your tank water - clown loaches are very prone to developing a disease called whitespot (aka ich) when the water is the least bit iffy. Watch them for small white spots that look as though the fish has been sprinkled with salt.

Once your ammonia and nitrite stay at zero you can think about getting more fish. But not many. You will only have grown enough bacetria to take care of the waste from 4 clown loaches. If you add too many new fish at one go, the bacteria will be overwhelmed and you'll have ammonia and/or nitrite showing up.

Offline SmileyMick

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
Again many thanks for the advice Sue.....I am feeling pretty embarrassed at my lack of knowledge and angry as I asked the pet shop as to how to prep the tank....the advice as you can guess was sparse and incorrect )thats me being polite grrrrrr).

Thanks for the article ...now for the hard work but I am prepared for that.

Ever hopeful Mick  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »
No need to feel embarrassed. You would expect a fish shop to know what they were talking about. Unfortunately, many of them don't have a clue. They are only there to sell things not give good advice  >:(

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 01:43:52 AM »
Hi Mick :) Obviously you're not going to be able to keep the clown loaches for very long, but if you like the way they look I would recommend you consider setting up a semi-aggressive community tank. In it I would have one or maybe two species of barb (you need to keep at about ten of each species to stop them picking on other tank mates), a group of zebra loaches and one or two bristlenose plecos. I've just had a fiddle with the community creator on this site and I put in 10 tiger barbs, 10 cherry barbs, 5 zebra loaches and two bristlenose plecos. It said this was fine, although I'd imagine that if tiger barbs will work in this set up you could swap them with almost any other type of barb that stays quite small if you prefer. Only a suggestion, hope it helps :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Aquarium which fish are to be next"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2012, 07:17:42 PM
by Natalia
12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post March 07, 2013, 04:24:18 PM
by jesnon
5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 12:58:43 AM
by Resa
6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 09:23:52 AM
by rascal_russ83
37 Replies
Last post November 26, 2019, 05:57:14 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 07:15:34 PM
by Digs1923

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: