New Aquarium Cycle/PH Problems

Author Topic: New aquarium cycle/PH problems  (Read 5973 times) 29 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: New aquarium cycle/PH problems
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'll start the ball rolling on the fish wish list.

3 angels is a bad number. You need one, a mated pair or at least 6 with a view to rehoming some if a pair form. And keeping just one isn't really fair on this species.
Angels are incredibly hard to sex until they breed. Buying two, you could end up with a pair that like each other, a pair that hate each other, two males or two females. Angels, like a lot of American cichlids, need to choose their own mates, hence buying six and rehoming four if two pair up.
And if you end up with a mated pair, you could find that the angels will spawn and take over 80% of the tank, leaving the rest of the fish huddled in the remaining 20%

Gouramis and angelfish don't usually make a good combination, especially if the blue is one of the three spot colour variants as these can be nasty fish. Blue dwarf gouramis aren't quite as bad, but still quite nasty for such small fish.
It's either angels or gouramis, not both.

Offline Triggzy

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
My tests as of 1 hour ago.
Tank: 8
Tap water : 8
RO water: 7
50/50 RO/water : 7.5

so my tank water is the same as my tap water right now, no idea how the ph is 8 in the tap when 2 days ago it was 9.5. Also no idea how a 50/50 mix is 7.5 and my tank is like 95%5% and at 8.

The tap water that read 9.5 was left out 2 days before testing. the tap iv just tested at 8 is fresh.

Iv taken both pieces of driftwood out and the stone that was in there placed them all in separate buckets filled with 100% RO water also put some fresh dry sand (bought 2 bags ended up using 1.5) in a cup, all were rinced out with RO water to begin with and all reading 7 before and after everything was put in, going to wait a day see if anything changes.  :yikes:  :yikes:  :yikes:

Offline Triggzy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
the 3 angelfish was in hopes to pair 2 and send the other back or re home it i didnt want to get to many right off the bat for ammonia spike purposes.

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »
If you do a fishless cycle as per the method on here, you can stock almost all your fish in one go once the cycle has finished. The exceptions are some sensitive species which should wait till the tank has been running a few months eg some corydoras species, neon tetras and a few more.

With three angelfish, there is the danger of 2 male 1 female. Once mature, the males will fight over the female and she might not like either of them. Even 1 male 2 females is not good if he doesn't like either female. You might also end up with 3 males or 3 females.
Three is a bad number with aggressive fish. One gets lonely; with two, one can pick on the other; with three, two can pick on one; four is better, if there is one dominant fish, the aggression is spread out among the other three. Five is better still, and six even better.

Offline Triggzy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
Ill try 6 then you have any recommendations about angelfish tank mates? I only chose the gourami because many people say they have them with angels. Also the rainbow fish as angels cant eat them hehe.

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 04:01:57 PM »
The best tankmates are tetras from south America which are deep bodied (that is, the same shape as rainbowfish). It's the torpedo shaped tetras that are most likely to be eaten. But research any tetras before buying as some are fin nippers, with angels being tempting targets because of their fins. Seriously Fish is a good research site.

And cories for the bottom of the tank.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
A large shoal of Rosy Tetras would look spectacular.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Triggzy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
:( so the sand in the glass is reading 8.5 aswell as the tank now. Im losing the will to live lol, gonna empty the tank take out sand and try find some sand that wont change the ph. Anyone know of a brand?

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 07:21:51 PM »
I use this sand in my 180 and 40 litre tanks, and Unipac silica sand in my betta's tank. Neither of these affect the pH. Lots of people swear by play sand, the most popular being Argos and B & Q.

When you said the sand in the glass of water, was the water the remineralised RO or tap water? And did you leave a glass of just water alongside to compare the glass with sand to? To be sure it is the sand, you need two containers, one with just water and one with water and sand, then you can compare the sand water to non-sand water. That will tell you if the water changes by itself, or if the sand is to blame.
Of course, you may have already done that  :)

Offline Triggzy

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »
The water i tested it in was RO water i also checked the water before the sand went in and right after it went in both read 7. The sand that's in there in unipac silver sand also have some stones and driftwood in buckets filled with RO water, they are both reading 7 and the sand 8.5 so im pretty sure its the sand affecting the PH. Strange how we both have same brand name sand, also strange how its "aquarium" sand yet it raises PH by 1.5 m The bag says nothing on it related to the type of sand or any mention of PH. Not sure if i should complain really raising PH by 1.5 is a joke.  :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New aquarium cycle/PH problems"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 07:31:19 PM
by pmalipha
26 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 12:29:00 PM
by jesnon
34 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 07:00:19 PM
by fruitbat
2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
by fishcake76
5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
by Cod_only_knows
25 Replies
Last post September 10, 2016, 11:48:33 AM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:15:23 AM
by ColinB

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: