New Aquarium And Substrate

Author Topic: New aquarium and substrate  (Read 3411 times) 11 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
New aquarium and substrate
« on: January 14, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hiya, I’m setting up a new tank and want live plants and I’d prefer a sand substrate. The guy in the shop gave me jbl aquabasis plus along with sand as a substrate, but now that I’m reading up on different substrates I’m not sure that the best way to go. Would I be better just going with sand? And if so what should I look out for?
Last time I had an aquarium was 30 years ago so really I’m a complete novice and really keen to get it right! 🐠

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: New aquarium and substrate
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I use jbl aquabasis plus with sand substrate in my tanks. I also use the jbl root balls (which I sometimes cut in half), dotted around when I think plants need a bit of a top up. I use TNC liquid fertiliser and liquid carbon on a regular basis to.

There are a lot of pros and cons to various planting substrates, inert substrates (sand), fertilisers, etc. and quite often it comes down to personal preference for the fish planned for the tank, and the owner.

It is fine to use just sand for live plants, but I would say that you would need root tabs as well, unless you plan to concentrate on things like anubias, java fern, bucephalandra - plants that are attached to decor rather than planted.

When choosing sand make sure it is soft/smooth enough, especially is you are planning on fish that feed in the substrate (such as corydoras sp.). I can't remember which brand it is, but I've bought black sand previously and it was actually quite sharp, to the point that I couldn't use it. Play sand is also a popular substrate.

We love discussing new tanks here, and it's great to hear that you are so keen to get things right.  :)

What are your plans at the moment? What size tank? What are your water parameters (check on your water suppliers website)? What fish are you considering?

If you post as much information as possible we can provide you with more specific advice.

Looking forward to hearing more about the plans for your new tank. How exciting.  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »
What are your water parameters (check on your water suppliers website)?

Particularly your tap water hardness. Tell us the number and the unit on your water company's website as they could use any one of half a dozen different units and you'll probably need to convert it into the two units used in fish profiles.

The good news is that with a planted tank, provided there are more than just one or two plants, you won't need to cycle the tank. Once you are sure the plants aren't dying, it is safe to add fish a few at a time - monitoring the ammonia and nitrite levels to be sure they stay at zero before getting more fish.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:36:44 PM »
Hi thanks Littlefish and Sue, I wasn’t expecting such a comprehensive answer... it’s really appreciated.
If you can cope with a long post, here goes.
Ive got a Fluval Roma 240 aquarium set which come with heater, light and filter from Webbs Garden centre, just waiting for it to be delivered tomorrow, eck!!
The sand I’ve got is, Aqua-Substrate, from Maidenhead Aquatics, and it’s very fine, so does that means it would be Ok for the catfish?
I was planning on having both types of plants some planted and some attached to the wood root things I’ve got (can’t remember the name the fish shop guy said it was) and rocks.
As for the water, I’ve checked the water company website and they’ve got a locator tool using my postcode it tells me where my water some from and also that it’s soft then all this stuff, which means nothing to me.
Calcium mgCal/l 10.05
Magnesium mgMg/l 1.36
Hardness as mg/l CaCo3 30.68
Clark degrees 2.15
French degrees 3.07
German degrees 1.72
Hardness level Soft.
So I’m assuming Soft it is?
As for fish, I really don’t want to get over ambitious, so was using the fish compatibility checker on the website and was looking at starting off with zebra danios and just seeing what was compatible with that and a beginner fish keeper, but I do with like the rainbows, gouramis, barbs and I was going to start with just abot 8 danios.
The fish I really loved when I had fish in my teens, I’d named sharkey and yes it was a ruby shark which did OK and seemed to be ok with the other fish I had, but think I might leave that for a while as they don’t really seem to be beginner fish.
I’ve got a test freshwater master test kit, so hopefully that’s an Ok one to use?
Lastly, for now, the guy in the shop said I should get a co2 dispenser, should I and any recommendations?
Thank again and look forward to sharing my adventures with you! 🐠
Any advice on a good selection would be great, or if you think the fish compatibility checker is a good way to go.

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
The two numbers you need from your list are:
Hardness as mg/l CaCo3 30.68
German degrees 1.72

These are the two units used in fishkeeping; mg/l CaCO3 is usually called ppm in fish profiles and German deg could be called that, or dH or even just hardness. And yes, it is very soft.

The best site for looking up fish is http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ This site gives the pH and hardness needed by any species; the size tank and temperature it needs; and suitable tank mates/fish it should not be kept with.
For example, zebra danios need a bigger tank than you would think for its size so your Roma 240 is fine, but a 50 cm long tank would be too small. But they like cooler water than most fish which will limit the tank mates it should have.
And gouramis don't go well with barbs or danios because gouramis are sedate fish which get stressed by fast swimmers like danios and barbs.

But there are lots of fish out there which will be very happy in your water. Take your time; set the tank up and look round all your fish shops. I speak from experience when I say there is nothing worse than fully stocking a tank and then seeing a must-have fish but can't fit it in  ;D

What kind of lights will the Roma have? If it is T8 fluorescent, or small LEDs, you don't need CO2 or the tank will be full of algae in next to no time. Three things must be kept in balance - lighting, CO2 and fertiliser. If there is too much or too little of any one of these, it will encourage algae.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 04:11:53 PM »
Excellent, thanks Sue. This evenings activity will be visiting the website you’ve recommended 😀
As the the lights the Roma has a 14.5w LED lighting system, so maybe no need for co2?
Any tips on what I should be doing to keep lighting, co2 and fertiliser in check? Can I test for these too? 🐠

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »
Lighting is the main one simply because they are expensive to replace. CO2 and fertiliser are much easier to add, or add in only small amounts.
Once the tank is fully stocked, there will be a lot of natural CO2 in the tank. Fish make it during respiration and organic matter (uneaten food, fish poo, bits of dead plant) are broken down by bacteria to make CO2. In tanks with low tech plants, this CO2 is enough.

I should explain here that although I do have quite a lot of plants in my tanks, they are all low tech, and none of them are rooted in the substrate. I have java fern, several species of anubias, bucephalandra and bolbitis all growing on wood. I have strands of hornwort weighted down and water sprite floating on the surface. I suppose the water sprite is the highest tech plant of all those but because it's floating it gets its CO2 from the air. So all my plants get is a half dose of Seachem Flourish (the trace mineral one) when I remember.
But other members have a wider range of plants than me, so they'll be able to advise you better  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
Nice tank. I find the Fluval Romas very easy to work with because the lid is in sections.

When I first got a tank all the fish I liked were soft water fish, and my water is 17dH  :o
Luckily I eventually found fish I liked that would cope with my water, but I there are a lot of soft water fish that are beautiful.

I have a mix of plants, and I don't inject CO2. I feel that CO2 is more suitable for seriously aquascaped tanks, where the focus is on the plants rather than the fish. It is also an extra thing to have to worry about when setting up a new tank, so I'd leave it out. Liquid carbon works fine. As for testing CO2 & ferts, again I wouldn't worry about that as you can usually tell if something is not quite right visually. The approach I take is with planting substrate and/or root tabs, plus daily fertiliser and liquid carbon, and not have the lights on for more than 6 hours a day (unless you want to grow algae, which I do in some tanks). I wouldn't say this is the right approach, but it works for me without too much hassle and plant maintenance.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
You won't need co2 just use root tabs under 'planted plants' and use a micro fertiliser like easy life profito.  Dose the fertiliser daily not weekly like it says on the bottle (so divide weekly dose by 7).  Avoid getting any plants that say hard or advanced on the labels and you will be absolutely fine.

Let us know what fish you like and we can advise on their comparability.

And finally, welcome to the forum!!  :))

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
thanks again both, I'd rather keep it as straight forward as possible, so I'll leave out the co2. Settling down now to figure out what fish to go wish and from what you've said I need something that likes a range that covers 39.68 ppm or 1.72 dh.

And thanks to Matt to, I'll let you know when I figure out the first first.

Really informative posts glad I joined, no doubt talk again soon. 🐠

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »
I have a Roma 240l tank. I bought it many years ago with T8 lights. I have recently retrofitted LED lights, but made an error when trying to work out what length lights I needed and got lights that are a size too small. This means that I will have less light in my tank than you!

I also have soft water (but not as soft as yours) and found that a lot of the stem plants that are sold as starter plants need more calcium than soft water can provide. The plant supplier's websites are really good for identifying the ideal water conditions for plants. I've always used the Tropica website, but @Matt recently pinned a brochure on one of the boards here, and that is also excellent and has some different plant selections.

The list of plants that I currently have (and therefore know that they are suitable for a low tech tank) are:
Various types of crypt (planted in the substrate)
Two types of java fern (on wood)
Bolbitus
Vallis (I can't spell the full name!) (Planted)
Anubias (on wood, rocks and also just rested on the substrate, where it happily rooted)
Nymphaea Lotus bulb (planted)
And a slower growing stem plant, whose name I can't remember (planted)

In a previous life, my tank was moderately high tech. I supplemented the T8 lights with various leds, added CO2 gas with a compressed air system and had a fairly heavy fertiliser dosing regime. Since having children, I have switched out the more demanding of the plants I had and am part way through re-establishing as low a maintenance tank as my chemistry understanding will allow me.

I have a substrate made up of Eco complete and gravel and an area of sand. I have recently sieved all the eco complete and gravel mix so that it is less than 2mm diameter (I didn't want to replace all my substrate with sand, so just saved the smaller stuff).

There is a lot of inspiration on this site as well as helpful advice.

Good luck.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 09:58:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum :wave:

I also have very soft water (even slightly softer than yours). I'm not at all skilled with plant-keeping but I'm tending to find that plants with thicker leaves fare better - the hemiographis colorata which I've had for a couple of months hasn't shown any sign of decay so far (touchwood!).

My LFS (an aquatic chain) has its soft-water fish located together which makes it easier to know where to look (eg numerous species of tetras, corydoras, pencilfish, rams, etc, all at one side of the shop) - you may find that, if yours is set up the same, this provides inspiration. My "rule of thumb" is to see if anything leaps out (hopefully not literally!) as a must-have fish and which causes you to keep thinking about it after your visit; if, on a future visit, you still feel that way about the particular species of fish, then that's probably a sign. :)

Tags: Aquabasis plus sand 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New aquarium and substrate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
by graygang
2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 03:06:52 PM
by ColinB
85 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 09:27:13 PM
by Resa
18 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 09:29:13 AM
by Diz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 06:14:54 PM
by Marley83
12 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 11:38:58 PM
by Fiona
22 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:56:22 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: