New Addition

Author Topic: New Addition  (Read 4628 times) 20 replies

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
New Addition
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

Hi All,

Just thought I'd show you a photo of my new betta, Prince.

He is in a 25 lt tank which cycled in 2 weeks using the mature media that Littlefish sent me, and some ceramic hoops of my own.

I'm beginning to think that Littlefish's media is impregnated with MTS, lol.

He only went in this morning, but has already sussed out that I am the source of his food, and he does a little dance every time he sees me, hence the blurry photo, which really does not do him justice.
He is a Butterfly Half Moon, and is quite small, so I presume he is not very old.

I managed to get a sample of Atisons Pro Betta Pellets and he loves them.

If you read this Sue, can you tell me how many pellets he is supposed to have a day?
They are very tiny, making them difficult to handle and I don't want to overfeed. I managed to use a plastic pippete and have fed 6 of them over the course of the day. Do you think that will be enough?

Will try to get some better photos, but I just couldn't wait to show him off.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: New Addition
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »
How very handsome he is, Trish - thanks for letting us see his pic.  :)

As for the food, another alternative to a plastic pipette is a small plastic spoon like the ones that come with cinema ice-cream tubs or even a kiwi scoop (like this http://www.aotearoa.co.nz/shop/new+gifts/Kiwi+scoop+Kiwi+scoops%3Fsku=Aotearoa_kiwiscoops.html) - unsure where I got hold of mine from but it's useful for feeding fish.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 06:49:28 PM »
Thanks fcmf,

He is gorgeous, and not the least bit shy.

Thanks for the link, I like the ice cream spoon, idea. Gives me an excuse to indulge myself and blame it on the fish!

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:35:27 PM »
It's that long since I had Atisons pellets that I can't remember how big they are compared to Hikari betta pellets  :-[  My betta is older than yours (I've had him ~18 months) and he gets 5 Hikari pellets at lunchtime and 5 at dinner time. He is so well conditioned that when he sees us bringing our dirty plates back into the kitchen he sits on a leaf at the front of the tank and waits for his food.
With your betta being young/small, stick with the 6 pellets a day until he grows, then try increasing by one or two. But be careful, bettas are pigs and will stuff themselves to bursting point if you let them. They also quickly learn to beg for food, which you must resist - be stern with him C:-)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:26 PM »
Hey - good lookin' fish, Trish.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »
He's lovely. Such a cutie.  ;D

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:52:03 PM »
Thanks Sue,

I shall have to harden my heart, as I can tell already, that he is going to try every trick in the book to get his grub!

By the way, what is your opinion on Catappa extract? I don't know if it's just another moneyspinner or if it would be beneficial.

Thanks Colin and Littlefish. He really is lovely.

When I came back into the hobby, I promised myself that I was going to get a Betta. Then I discovered that they need to be kept in a separate tank, which took the wind out of my sails, a bit, as I vowed that I would not get multiple tanks, this time round.
However, once my first tank was up and running, I got so much pleasure out of it that I convinced myself (as one does!) that a little tank just for a Betta, would be fine ;D

So glad that I did.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
I've used Indian almond leaves rather than the extract in the past. Some of my previous bettas suffered from tatty fin edges and these seemed to help. My current betta has not had these problems so I haven't used them with him. Using extract would work just as well, it wouldn't hurt to get some in and use it at a lower dose than they recommend as a preventative.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:19:11 AM »
Thanks Sue,

I'll give it a go. I think I could use it in my other tank, which has Cardinals, Harlies and the Honey Gouramies.

Whilst I am on the subject of this tank, would I be able to put shrimps in there or would the gouramies be a problem?

I was thinking more on the lines of the Amano shrimp as they are bigger, but then again, I don't want anything too boisterous, as the tank is nice and peaceful at the moment, and would hate to upset the equilibrium.

I was also considering Lemon Tetras, do you think they would fit into a quiet, relaxing tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »
Amano shrimps should be fine, especially if you have a lot of hiding places for them. I've kept amanos with honey gouramis and even apistogrammas.

Not having had lemon tetras, I can't say from experience whether they would be OK with the gouramis - those long feeler fins could be too tempting. Other members should be able to comment on lemon tetras  :)

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
OK, Thanks again Sue, your advice is much appreciated.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
My goldfish had me completely wrapped round his fins - very difficult not to give into the temptation - and I do miss the interactive aspect in particular. You might be able to treat him in other ways besides food, though eg I've seen a sleeping hammock advertised for a betta. :)

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 02:59:38 PM »
Yes......he's got the hammock, he hasn't slept in it yet. I wonder if it's made for the owner, rather than the fish!

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »
Fish don't read books, or on-line shops. Bettas are supposed to like 'sleeping' on something flattish near the surface. Mine used to sleep on top of the small internal filter until I got so sick of having to stick it back onto the tank wall that I changed it for an air pump powered sponge filter. Now he either rests suspended on a stem of floating hornwort or underneath a piece of wood  :o

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »
I must admit, that I find his behaviour fascinating and, never having had a Betta before, a bit worrying, ie - lolling around on the gravel, diving head first into some soft plants and resting there for 5 mins or so, then, after giving me a heart attack, emerging as if nothing has happened, lol.
Also, (as you have mentioned in previous posts), squirming into impossibly small spaces.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Mine sleeps on top of the internal filter.
I had to apologise to him last night. After I commented on how cute Trish's new betta is, I looked up to find my betta on the substrate at the closest end of the tank. Almost as if he'd seen the picture, and my comment, and was monitoring my computer activity. Oops.  :-[

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
Hi Donna,
They are funny aren't they? I find it really amusing when those little beady eyes look straight at you, made me laugh out loud this morning. Good job I live on my own.
I didn't realise you had a Betta, have you had him long?
What do you feed yours on?
I got a small sample of Atisons Betta Pro. From what I can make out, they are more suited for bringing up youngsters, or conditioning before shows.
I looked at the ordinary Atisons Beta Pellets, but noticed that the first ingredient was fish meal and not whole fish.
Maybe I am being over fussy.  :(

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
I've only had mine a few months. I went to MA one Saturday morning to get something, and got so distracted that I forgot what I had gone there for.
I feed him mainly on betta flakes (JBL Novo Betta) with occassional frozen or live bloodworms. He was in my 24L starter tank when I first got him. Since then he has upgraded to a nice 34L, 50cm wide tank, and has a small group of panda cory in with him. It is the tank next to the arm chair I normally sit in, so he is the one I can interact with, without even moving. I chat to him, telling him how handsome he is, and he waggles his fins and has a bit of a shimmy.
Same as you, good job I live on my own.  ;D

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
Smashing photo. He looks really lovely......posing for the camera!

I now wish that I had gone for a slightly larger tank.

I made a bit of a hash of it, really. I went to P@H to buy their Aqua One 22lt cube, it seemed good value at £70 including heater.
Just my luck, it was out of stock. The assistant pointed out a similiar sized one with a pendant light, but no heater, at £60. So I got that, and a heater at £17..

Anyway, I set up the tank and was really unhappy how it looked. The heater seemed enormous in the tiny tank and the filter was like a jacuzzi and irritatingly noisy. On top of that, the light was so dim, I could hardly see inside.

I ended up buying one of those flat type plastic heaters, a Denerrle nano filter and an LED light!
So, I ended up paying £70 just for a basic little tank.

Oh well, at least I've got spares. Lol.

I should have cut my losses, got a bigger tank, and kept this one as a hospital tank.

I may end up doing that, in the future, but right now, I'm baulking at the money I have already spent, and still not happy.......Stupid Boy!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
I chat to him, telling him how handsome he is, and he waggles his fins and has a bit of a shimmy. Same as you, good job I live on my own.  ;D
I don't live on my own but Mr FCMF became well-used to me having conversations with my goldfish in the past (at least it was two-sided as my goldfish interacted back by shimmying during pauses in the conversation), and is becoming accustomed to the monologues I have with the tropicals (who generally now come forward to the front of the tank and listen/stare but don't interact in the way goldfish, bettas and dwarf puffers do) - he came home from work one day and thought there were visitors but it was just me having an animated monologue with the fish in a failed attempt to get them to interact. :rotfl:

@Trish, it might be worth applying the same logic as I've done on a few occasions in the past eg if I've bought something at full price, then discovered it's at half price some time down the line, and feel a bit aggrieved (especially if I've never actually worn/used it yet), so I then decide to buy another one so that it lessens the sting a little to have two at an "in between" price. What you could do - and sorry if I'm encouraging you to spend more money - is to look out for a really good bargain, second-hand tank on Aquarist Classifieds, Gumtree or even Freegle, then you could have the bigger tank and convert the current one to a hospital tank. :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New Addition "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2017, 10:30:03 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: