Need A Refresher And Advice On Starting Up A Smaller Tank Please

Author Topic: Need a refresher and advice on starting up a smaller tank please  (Read 3685 times) 8 replies

Offline lmc

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :wave:
Hiya, I posted on the intro thread but I'll just reiterate, previously managed to have a lovely big aquarium, well established with several species and plants for a few years but had to give it up when we moved house  :'(. This was a few years ago and I've really missed it so today bought a small tank for the kitchen. I really need starting up and stocking advice, everything i knew seems to have left me plus i understand it can be more difficult to care for a smaller aquarium. The tank is about 50cm and holds about 20litres. I've got filters that came with it including carbon and ceramic which are new to me, a pump and an l.e.d light. Got it set up with dechlorinated water and rinsed gravel, heater on, and one planted coconut shell.

I know the filter needs to develop good bacteria but I need help with getting it ready to introduce fish and advice on that too ... Ideally I'd love to keep a Betta, calculator on here says I could keep a small shoal of neons with him for example. I'm interested in the shrimp and snails i saw today too. But when and in what order to introduce them?

Also i'd like to create more shelter and interest with another plant or 2 and maybe some pebbles... But then I'm conscious of them taking up valuable space!

Any thoughts?

Offline lmc

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Need a refresher and advice on starting up a smaller tank please
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »
Oh! Also, testing kits etc, can anyone explain in a nutshell a good routine? I know we tested water quality and ph  occasionally with the big tank but I'm reading that it's more important with a small one...
I'm working my way through all the great articles on  this site

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:49:40 AM »
Hi lmc

Here's my starter for 10 - I'm sure others will be able to add more  :)

The tank is about 50cm and holds about 20litres.

Could you confirm the exact dimensions/volume as this will be important for stocking advice and recommendations - a 'standard' shaped aquarium with a front facing length of 50cm would generally have a larger volume than 20 litres (e.g. a 50l x 30h x 18w would equate to nearer 30 litres whilst a 50l x 30h x 30w would be more than double at around 45 litres).

I've got filters that came with it including carbon and ceramic which are new to me.....I know the filter needs to develop good bacteria

The ceramic helps the 'good' bacteria to develop by providing a large surface area for them to colonise. The carbon helps remove chemicals (bad or good, e.g. medications) and the like from the water (and can also help with water clarity) but won't affect things Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates. You don't need to run carbon in the filter all of the time - it's best used in short bursts for specific tasks so I'd probably leave it out for now and keep it in an airtight container until you need it. As for cycling your filter, there's a very detailed thread on here about doing a fish-less cycle which will tell you far more than I can!

Ideally I'd love to keep a Betta, calculator on here says I could keep a small shoal of neons with him for example. I'm interested in the shrimp and snails i saw today too. But when and in what order to introduce them?

As above, we'd need to know a bit more about your tank before making any suggestions - 20l would perhaps be on the small size for anything more than just a Betta (Neons would need to be in a shoal of at least 6), but you could potentially keep shrimp and/or snails with the Betta (although there is always some risk of the fish attacking shrimp/snails - it can depend on the individual fish).

Also i'd like to create more shelter and interest with another plant or 2 and maybe some pebbles... But then I'm conscious of them taking up valuable space!

Space and volume need to be thought of slightly differently - volume will ultimately determine your healthy stocking level, however swimming space is important where you intend to keep fast/active fish and general tank dimensions will impact on the size/shape of fish you can keep, e.g. a smallish tank like you have is unlikely to have sufficient swimming space for the majority of fast/active fish types.

Oh! Also, testing kits etc, can anyone explain in a nutshell a good routine? I know we tested water quality and ph  occasionally with the big tank but I'm reading that it's more important with a small one...

The API Master test kit seems to be quite widely used - you should be able to pick one up off the internet for around £20. They're a good investment and will last for quite a while. More regular testing is usually advisable for smaller tanks because the smaller volume of water can mean that your parameters can change quite quickly.

Hope this helps!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
dbaggie has said just about everything!

20 litres is a nice size for a betta, but not neons. I shouldn't say it, but some things in the fish profiles are a bit out of date with modern thinking.
Bettas can be iffy with tank mates. My current one lives quite happily with a small nerite snail, the black and yellow striped kind often called bee snails. Clithorn genus. But I managed to get a woodlouse in his tank recently here and he went berserk attacking it. I wouldn't risk shrimps with mine. Other bettas are very laid back and will tolerate shrimps.
If you do go for a betta, the planted coconut shell is perfect as a cave for one. I'd get a couple more plants, real or silk but not plastic as they can have sharp edges which can cut a betta's long fins. They like to rest on things just below the water surface so they don't have far to lug those fins to gulp air, so a plant with large flat leaves is recommended.

If it turns out that your tank is actually bigger than 20 litres as dbaggie suggests, there are other fish you could consider. I won't go into them now as we need to know if your water is hard or soft first  ;D Your water supplier's website should have that info.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
we need to know if your water is hard or soft first  ;D Your water supplier's website should have that info.

Ah, water hardness - I knew I'd missed something!!  ;D

Offline susie58

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »
I have a beautiful betta in a 22 ltre tank with 1 assassin snail and 3 rosy tetras. I probably shouldn't have added the tetras as they do try to nip his tail/fins but he tolerates them now and they seem more wary of him so all good.
The only problem I had with the small tank was keeping the flow low enough for him. I now have a flow adjuster inserted and pump is set to minimum, which he seems to prefer.
And, as small as it is, I have approx 1/3 of the tank completely planted up with mostly broad leaved plants. He likes to rest on them and blow his bubble nests under the leaves.
And Amazon is good for API test kits. Mine cost £25 and I use it 3 times a week (long story - additional tank syndrome)
I'm still a newbie myself but am really pleased with my little tank  :)

Offline lmc

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »
Thank you all, that's great. Going to LFS tomorrow after a fascinating recce on Tuesday.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »
Ooh, exciting, what are you going to get?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 05:12:20 PM »
Thank you all, that's great. Going to LFS tomorrow after a fascinating recce on Tuesday.

Have you cycled the tank yet? Or is it non-fish things you are going for?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Need a refresher and advice on starting up a smaller tank please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 11:33:10 PM
by regan
6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2013, 06:34:43 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 09:15:09 AM
by Puffin
4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 03:43:58 PM
by Richard W
59 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 06:26:08 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: