My LFS Not Sure About

Author Topic: My LFS not sure about  (Read 3884 times) 5 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
My LFS not sure about
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
My son's tank has cycled and mine is nearly there :P We visited our LFS, a well known large chain dealing in just aquatics including ponds etc.

They have around 400 odd tanks..we have been there before and have always been reasonably impressed but yesterday was a bit shocked.

A couple of tanks did not seem too clean and we put that down to being busy/understaffed etc. But further down and near the info/help desk in the fish room we noticed one tank, with a large amount of detritus etc stuck to the glass and in the tank there was clearly a dead fish and a little further down another tank with a dead freshwater crab!!

We did not inform them as they were serving and we did not want to cause a fuss...but now I do not know whether to trust the shop when we are ready to stock. I must say that in 6 or so visits this is the first time we have noticed anything.

What say you? Should I purchase from there or give it a wide berth?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
Re: My LFS not sure about
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
Hi, always willing to give a LFS a chance but dead or poorly maintained tanks is unforgiveable, always try to find out when a shop is receiving new stock, they normally have set days in the week. They should be quarantining fish for a few days after they have been received just to make sure they have no problems. Have always had a rule if I see dead fish or livestock I will not buy from that shop. Sounds harsh they have to be responsible for their livestock, always ask them questions that you know the answers to, can I put a particular fish with X or is this filter going to be correct for my tank. Staff in shops vary, and I do not accept the excuse of being too busy, its their job. If you get the wrong answers then you need to weigh up the risk. Don't be fooled by multi-buys like buy 10 fish get 2 free!! The two free may be too much for your tank, it's not a good deal if you end causing more issues. Look for quality not quantity how bright are they, are they moving well, check fins and body for splits and marks. I would rather have 5 quality fish than 7 poor or dull fish. Get to know the staff and if its a local one off trader the owner. I was in a shop and about to buy some beautiful Pictus and a customer in front of me wanted some as well, I watched in horror as the assistant went and got a net and tried to catch these, and I had to say stop, you will injure these fish use a something to coax them into the bag, but never a net. When I asked he had not been told that he could break their pectoral spines in the fins. I never shop on a weekend for fish there are too many people around to get served correctly and you also get weekend staff that are not always the best trained. Take your time and if in doubt don't buy.

Hope this helps.

Brecon

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
Thanks for your advice Brecon. Think I will give them a miss!!

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
I agree look shop with good quality fish in well maintained tanks. Its right that there job is to look after there live stock and sell you good quality well looked afterfish. I am not a fan of fish shops that stock tank busting fish either especialy if they are poorly labelled or dont seem to be giving suitable advice on housing or keeping them.

for me if there are dead fish it depends on the time of day and the staffing situation. If its first thing in the morning or its a busy store but its small with small staff numbers as long as the tanks look well maintained and the staff are knowllegable i can forgive one or two dead fish.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
I have read a number of things by people who work in fish shops.

When fish arrive in a shop, they are very stressed and the death toll can be quite high. Shops expect to lose a fair number of newly arrived fish. The good shops have someone go round the tanks every morning before opening to remove the dead fish, and again during the day as the number of customers permits. The odd newly-dead fish is common. What you should not see is decomposing fish that have obviously been there for days - it shows the shop does not examine the tanks.
The same applies to sick fish. You should not see tanks with whitespot, for example. These fish should be undergoing treatment. You do see tanks with labels on them saying the fish are being treated, but I've never been able to work out how that works in shops where the filtration system runs a whole rank of tanks  ???

Quarantine - it seems that the current economic situation is affecting things there. Many shops can no longer afford to have tanks set aside to quarantine newly arrived fish for a week. The current practice seems to be to label a tank as 'fish not for sale - acclimating' for just 24 hours. This is one reason I usually quarantine all my new fish for 2 weeks before putting them in my proper tanks, though even this may not be long enough. I have to confess that the fish I got yesterday went straight in the tank mainly because I've never had a problem with fish from that shop, and the chap who served me said they'd been in for a while.

Brecon's suggestion about asking questions is a good one. Make sure you know the answer first  ;D. If they say you can keep a common plec in a 100 litre tank, for example, you'll know they are talking rubbish. Or find a predatory fish and ask if you can keep it with neons. An example of a good shop is a woman I overheard in conversation with a customer. No sir, you can't have those fish as you already have xxxx. No sir you can't have those either. Since you have xxxx already why don't you look at this fish or that fish instead, they'll go with what you already have. And the woman was making very sensible suggestions.

Offline DARRELL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »
Ive got to say i wouldn't be totally put off by this place, from what you say there was one dead fish in 400 tanks.....compare that to those of us who own a single tank in our homes - thats like loosing one fish in about 14 months.

yes a good shop will check its tanks frequently but illness, injury and sadly death are all part of dealing with nature both for us customers and the retailers.  If there were several dead fish in several tanks every time you visited or as already said the fish had obviously been there for a long time then i would start to think about boycotting them.

It seems to be a bit of an internet trend to slag fish shops off but i think people forget that apart from the big chains most of the owners and staff got there by keeping fish as a hobby just like us.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: