Multiple Filters/Excessive Filtration Increases Stocking Density?

Author Topic: Multiple filters/Excessive filtration increases stocking density?  (Read 8219 times) 22 replies

Offline SpaceGoat

• Fishy Contributor
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey guys, completely new here but not entirely new to fishkeeping.
I've recently bought a 64ltr tank complete with everything I need. The filter that came with it I really don't like and am probably going to replace/add a Fluval U2 or a Fluval 106. I was just wondering if this would increase my stocking density. The article on this site on stocking density says it would indeed allow me to add almost twice as many fish. Has anyone here had experience in this though?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Multiple filters/Excessive filtration increases stocking density?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
In my opinion, you could have few extra fish but I wouldn't get double the amount of fish.

Unless the filter that came with the tank had a very tiny amount of media, getting a bigger internal won't make very much difference. If the original filter media is plenty big enough to grow enough bacteria for a fully stocked tank, adding more media in the shape of a bigger filter won't allow any more bacteria to grow. There will only be enough bacteria for the amount of fish regardless of how much media there is.
Replacing an internal with an external will free up some space inside the tank so the water volume will be larger. That will allow room for a few extra fish.

I always over-filter a tank.

But having said all that, the guideline is: for tanks with none or only a few real plants, the filter should have a turnover of at least 5 times the volume of the tank, and for heavily planted tanks it should be at least 10 times. But to achieve 10 times, a powerhead can be used in conjunction with a lower powered filter.

Offline SpaceGoat

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for your help, I reckon I'll just grab the U2 and leave it at that.

Thanks again :-)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
If you want to replace your existing filter, put all the media from the old filter inside the new one. Chop sponges up if necessary. Then fill the gaps with the media that comes with the new filter. This way you keep all your bacteria.
Or if you plan running both, it is worth swapping some media from the old to the new, and using some new to fill the space left in the old. That is a much faster way to spread the bacteria between the two filters.

Offline SpaceGoat

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 03:49:50 PM »
Yeah I will do, haven't even started cycling it yet. Another question if thats ok, completely unrelated. I want a paradise fish in there eventually as well as either bleeding heart tetras or celestial pearl danios. The more I read around Paradise fish the more conflicting opinions I get. Would they be super aggressive towards the smaller shoaers? Or will the shoalers be fine as long as the tank is well planted?

Thanks again.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
If you haven't started cycling yet, just put the new filter in before you start.

Paradise fish are notoriously aggressive. The best tank mates are fast swimming tetras. Females aren't quite as bad as males but they aren't as colourful of course. I wouldn't keep them with cpd's as not only are they small enough to be eaten, they are very shy and with a bigger fish with an aggressive nature in the tank they would hide all the time; you'd never see them.
Also, paradise fish like their water cooler than most tropicals. Bleeding hearts might cope with the nature of a paradise fish but they need warmer water.

If it's the blue and red stripes that you want, look at wild-coloured dwarf gouramis - see the pic here. Though I wouldn't risk them with cpd's either - not because a dwarf gourami would eat them but the cpd's might spend all day in hiding.
However.... bleeding heart tetras may nip the long fins of gouramis/paradise fish, especially if there weren't enough of them. If you had a dwarf gourami and 6 bleeding hearts that would take up about half or just over half of your socking allowance.

Edited for spelling  :-[

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
Who on earth came up with the idea that a heavily planted tank requires a filter that changes the water at least 10 times an hour? It seems totally absurd. First of all, I very much doubt if most plants would thrive, or even survive, in the speed of flow that would cause. Virtually all aquarium plants come from still or very slow waters, indeed most of the commoner ones are actually marsh plants rather than true aquatics. Second, it is clearly assuming that the filter bacteria are entirely responsible for dealing with fish ammonia, whereas one of the major reasons for having a densely planted tank is that the plants will do a large part of that work. On this basis, filtration can be reduced in a well-planted tank rather than increased. I suspect that this idea arise from some concept of "dead spots" where the water doesn't circulate because of the dense planting. While this might possibly occur in a very large tank, I don't think it at all likely in any domestic size aquarium. I've had a good look in all the corners of my tanks, which have "normal" levels of filtration, and I can see water movement everywhere. In any case, as noted above, the plants will deal with any ammonia or whatever. Even with no water movement at all, anything in the water will spread surprisingly quickly by diffusion alone. I think the idea of dead spots is one of those greatly exaggerated remote possibilities. If you are still worried, two smaller filters, one at each end of the tank, would probably be a better bet than one big one.

I also think that too much filtration can be a bad thing in that it is generally results in increased flow rates through the tank. Three of the used tanks I bought came with oversized filters. In each case, when I tried running these in those tanks the amount of water movement was ridiculous, far more than most fish would find comfortable, while the plants were flapping around like palm trees in a hurricane. There are many videos of people's tanks on YouTube etc., where one can see small fish (usually tetras) being subject to constant buffeting by a current which is far stronger than they like, subjecting them to continuous stress. I don't think many fish would be happy with a filter rate of 10 times per hour. More is not always better.

As far as stocking levels are concerned, if your tank is working OK then it is not overstocked, whatever any guide might say. This means regular water testing, but also observing your fish to make sure they are getting on. There's more to stocking than ammonia and filters. You could have two small fish in a big tank, but if one is making the other's life a misery by constantly chasing it, it could be argued that the tank is overstocked by one fish. Conversely, if you have only one or two of a type of fish which should really be in a shoal of six or more, then it might be said that you are understocked.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »
The 10x turnover is said to be because of dead paces that can occur in heavily planted tanks. I freely admit that I know little about planted tanks so I defer to other people on this subject. Everything I have read says that heavily planted tanks need greater turnover than non-planted tanks!

The usual comment about over-filtration is that there is no such thing as too much filtration PROVIDED THAT the tank does not resemble a washing machine. The videos you've seen do sound like washing machines with far too much water flow. I agree that these tanks should have less water flow if the fish are having problems swimming against the current.

Stocking isn't just about ammonia levels. It is more about nitrate and hormones etc. When a tank has a lot of plants these remove nitrate and probably a lot of biochemicals secreted by the fish. But in lightly planted/unplanted tanks, these stay in the water. In an overstocked tank, water changes need to be bigger and more frequent to keep nitrate etc under control. One method of determining stocking levels is by measuring nitrate. If it exceeds the level in the tap water plus 20 just before a weekly water change, there are too many fish. This only applies to non-planted tanks of course.
I think we should use the term inappropriately stocked more often. Fish in too small a shoal or incompatible fish is more inappropriate stocking rather than under/over stocking! Things like the behaviour of the fish should also be considered. A 60 litre, 60cm long tank with just 6 zebra danios is under stocked in terms of bioload, but it is inappropriately stocked because zebra danios are such fast swimmers they need a tank much longer than 60cm. In my comments in the last but one post, I mentioned that keeping celestial pearl danios with paradise fish is inappropriate stocking because of the different temperature requirements and the nature of the two species, one aggressive and one shy.

Offline SpaceGoat

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »
Awesome guys, thanks very much. I've kept dwarf gouramis before and just wanted a bit of a change. It looks like I'll end up getting one though as a feature fish. Unless there are any other suggestions? I hope to include some form of dwarf corys aswell.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »
Dwarf cories would be good, but I'd have sand on the bottom rather than gravel. I have pygmy cories in my 50 litre tank and I feel they are too small for anything but sand or fine gravel. If they had to search for food in gravel with particles bigger than their heads, they could get damaged.
With cories, it is important to keep the bottom of the tank clean. Because they grub around looking for particles of food, they are in close contact with anything on the bottom of the tank. If the tank gets dirty, especially if the debris gets stuck between particles of gravel, they become prone to disease. And if the gravel is sharp enough to cut their mouths, the disease can get a hold quite easily.

I am a fan of small fish. My husband complains he can't see my fish properly  ;D . My choice for a 64 litre tank would be small fish, but that's just me. In my 50 litre, I have pygmy cories, Microdevario kubotai, cherry shrimp and 2 nerite snails. The fish are only an inch long.
Personally speaking (and I do realise my preference in fish is not to everyone's taste) I'd have a couple of shoals of small fish and maybe one larger fish. The main reason I don't have a larger specimen fish in my 50 litre is because the shrimps would get eaten. Without them, I'd probably have something like a honey gourami.

Offline SpaceGoat

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »
Yeah I've made that mistake before with corys and the substrate. At the moment I have a about a 70/30 mix of sand and small aquarium gravel so they should be fine. As for your suggestions thats exactly what I intend on! A nice shoal of dwarf corys, a group of Bleeding hearts OR Celestial pearl danios (If I can get hold of some) and some form of slightly larger fish. Like you've said a Honey or Dwarf gourami would be ok but I've kept them before and just fancy something different... Although there isn't much choice for 64ltr :P

I love the look of chocolate gouramis as well but I decided against them for some reason... I think it was because of the water quality.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Yes, chocolate gouramis have the reputation for being a bit finicky. Lovely fish though.

Hmmm, tricky one, a specimen fish for a smallish tank. If I come up with anything I'll let you know. I need to buy some sand for a new tank so I'm off to the shop tomorrow. You never know, I might see something that ticks all the boxes  :D

Offline SpaceGoat

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »
Awesome! Thank you so much for your help!

Offline Richard W

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
Sue
We will have to agree to disagree on the filtering. I decided to follow the Walstad method and I'n very pleased with the results so far and so I'm sticking to it. All it really means is dense planting, with soil as the bottom layer of substrate., moderate lighting and moderate filtration. That's about it. Mind you I think her "I change about 25 to 50% of the water every 3-6 months." is going a bit far for me and I anticipate that my moderately hard water, with plenty of buffering capacity, would probably benefit from about 20% change per month.

I was interested in your comments on zebra danios. Having watched these in various unplanted or sparsely planted tanks dashing from end to end, I had left them off my list as I felt they needed a bigger tank. However, I inherited a pair in a used tank I bought and so I put them into an 80 cm tank, one of the longest I have, and also the one with the densest plant growth. I have been surprised to find that the zebras seem to love the plants, they are in and out of them all the time, spending relatively little time in the open. I'm very keen that the fish in my tanks can, as far as possible exhibit natural behaviour, and I believe this is what they are doing. Apparently zebras naturally occur in vegetated waters and I imagine that they must spend a lot of their time hunting small insects etc among the vegetation, and it's this behaviour they are exhibiting here, even if they are unlikely to find anything. Not the open water surface dwellers that they are often supposed to be, though they are the first up for the flake. Anyway, as a result of this I've decided I will get half a dozen more to make a small shoal and I'm sure they'll be OK in that size of tank because of the structural diversity provided by the plants.

I also prefer smaller fish and I have a 60 litre planted but unstocked tank in which I'm planning to put Ember and Glowlight tetras plus Pygmy cories, which I hope will make a quiet and peaceful, but attractive, little community.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »
You like heavily planted tanks and as such will see different behaviour from lighly planted tanks (and I include tanks with a few synthetic plants). You are unusual in having planted tanks. The majority of newcomers to fish keeping seem to go for the synthetic only/very few live plants option. I know about these latter tanks - they are the kind I have. You have the experience to advise people with heavily planted tanks, I don't.
In my type of tank, zebra danios will be very active and need plenty swimming room. There aren't enough plants to keep them occupied. Putting a shoal of danios in a 40 litre tank with one plastic plant is not a good idea, though from the size of the fish they look as though that sized tank is perfect. But put them in a very heavily planted tank and they'd probably do well. I should get into the habit of asking newcomers about what is in the tank in terms of plants and decor.

I do 25 to 30% water changes a week on all my tanks as I have KH of 3 german degrees/54ppm. I have suffered pH crashes in the past when I got lazy about water changes and didn't know any better  :-[ Rather than add remineralisation salts to the tanks, I decided to cope with this low buffering with water changes, which has worked well so far. My KH is so low that even with water changes during a fishless cycle, the pH dropped overnight from 7.4 to off the bottom of the scale.
Would I have the same problem with a heavily planted tank?

I have ember tetras in my 125 litre tank. They are so much nicer than the photos on-line; a much deeper, glowing orange compared the the washed out pale orange in the photos.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »
Sue
I suppose, theoretically, active photosynthesis should reduce the possibility of pH crashes, but I'm not sure how effective it would be in such soft water. You would have to grow soft water plants as hard water plants definitely do not grow in soft water, though soft water plants will grow in hard water. Unfortunately it seems quite difficult to find out which plants are true soft water species.
I've always been in a fairly hard water area and have no experience of soft water. All plants do need some Ca, Mg etc. to grow. If I found myself in your position, I'd probably use something that would make slow long-lasting change e.g crushed oyster shell in the lower substrate and/or filter. Mind you, if I wanted to grow plants I'd be using a soil bottom layer anyway :) But you might just be better off sticking with the water changes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

When I first decided to take up fish again, reading books was quite depressing as practically all the fish wre said to need soft water, especially tetras. However, I subsequently realised that with only moderately hard water and a pH of about 7.3, most of the commonly available small shoaling fish are perfectly comfortable with these parameters. The only common tetra I'm avoiding is the cardinal.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 03:30:27 PM »
My water doesn't fit into nice pigeon holes, unfortunately. After standing 24 hours, my pH is 7.4/7.5, so alkaline. My GH is 6 to 7 German deg/108 to 125ppm, so that's classed as slightly hard. It's just the KH that's very low. The API GH and KH testers correspond with what my water company gives for hardness and alkalinity, so I know my testers are pretty accurate. I have no problems with snail shells eroding so there is enough calcium in my water supply and the pH is high enough for them.
Would the pH and GH affect my plants differently, despite the low KH?

My son used to work for a water testing company and he tells me that when water companies talk about hardness, they mean divalent metal ions and in the water supply that's calcium and magnesium ions. When they test alkalinity they measure of the amount of a particular acid at known concentration that is needed to drop the pH of a water sample to 4.5 (I think that was the value he said) so it is a measure of buffering capacity. Since the alkalinity measurement on my water company's site is almost identical to the KH I measured, it would seem that the KH tester is doing the same as the water testing lab's method for alkalinity.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
This is all a bit beyond me. Your water seems very strange. Where does the GH come from, sulphates? I don't see why the calcium, magnesium shouldn't be available to the plants. Most hard water plants can use bicarbonate as well as carbon dioxide so they might do less well with low KH??

Having said all that, I am convinced that substrate is much more important than water chemistry for most plants.

ThinkFish has an article which says that the only things you need to grow plants are strong lighting and good substrate. I'd go further and say that, for easy plants, you only need normal lighting and good substrate.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »
I have no idea what the anions are! Our water is supplied by Northumbrian water, from their Kielder reservoir. If you have any idea what the rock around there is like, please let me know  ;D
Edit: Just found a reference saying the base rock is the whin sill, ie dolerite composed mainly of pyroxene and feldspar

I have no problem at all growing java fern. It started as one clump bought from a shop, now it is growing well in all my tanks. I finally have some java moss growing and also something called spikey moss which was given to me. There is a small clump of anubias, a dwarf variety, which is holding its own - it doesn't grow any bigger but it doesn't disappear either. You will, of course, have noticed that none of these plants are planted in the substrate.

I would like to try growing some floating plants again. Do you have any suggestions for what would do well in my water?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »
As I said earlier, Amazon frogbit is the floating plant I have found most successful which might grow for you. The Water Sprite/Indian fern, being a fern, might also do OK where Java ferns are successful. Then there is the hornwort. This does not root, but can be tied onto rocks or bogwood like Java fern. You can tie some to quite a small stone to act as an anchor, drop it in the tank and it looks like it is growing in the substrate. It might do better like this than floating, if you have a fairly strong flow.

I'm thinking of trying a couple of specimen plants in pots. Amazon swords are the obvious choice, but I might also try a group of grassy plants such as Vallisneria or Sagittaria. I'd put a good fertile substrate in the pot, topped off with gravel. It might be necessary to use fertiliser tabs later. As I don't like the look of anything man-made in a tank, I'd then tie Java moss all around the outside of the pot. After a few weeks, the moss should cover the pot and make everything look more natural. The pot would have to have a fairly rough outer surface to give the moss a good grip. One suggestion I have seen is to spread a very thin layer of aquarium silicone over the outside of the pot then, before the silicone dries, sprinkle sand over it to give a sand covered pot which would provide a good surface on which moss (or Java fern etc) could get a grip. If you want to keep your plain substrate, this might be a way to get more plants in the tank, and if it fails at least it's easy to take it out ..............

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Multiple filters/Excessive filtration increases stocking density?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:39:31 AM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 09:01:13 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 02:40:58 PM
by Mad_BMS
63 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 03:53:38 PM
by Barney626
13 Replies
Last post January 08, 2018, 08:48:20 PM
by MaypoleHugh
4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2019, 09:51:07 AM
by jaypeecee
10 Replies
Last post December 21, 2021, 02:53:06 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: