Moving To A Bigger Tank, But Want To Leave Snails Behind

Author Topic: Moving to a bigger tank, but want to leave snails behind  (Read 10288 times) 31 replies

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Moving to a bigger tank, but want to leave snails behind
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello everyone, my first post to this forum.  :)

I set up my first aquarium, a 45 litre one 3 months ago and had been running it very successfully since. I love it ad my family loves it. See the picture. So we want more fish and upgrading to a 180 litre tank - a Juwel Rio 180 I picked up second hand on eBay. Now I need to cycle the new tank and want relocate the residents with minimum fuss. So I have a few questions.

The current tanks has got gravel, live plants and a piece of bogwood. The filter is internal with one piece of sponge, see picture. The current inhabitants are 8 cardinal tetras, 4 guppies, 2 platies, 1 dwarf chain loach (I will add more after the move to a bigger tank) and a population of snails. I want to move as many things over as I can, but I’m keen to leave the nuisance snails behind!

So I'm thinking of not moving the plants or the gravel, as I don't want to transfer any snails or snail eggs in the process.

1. Is it OK to move the bogwood, after giving it a good bathing it in hot water?

2. Can I use the filter media from the old filter, which would have allowed me to move my fish all at once, or is there a risk or moving the snails over?

3. Can I move the water from the old tank or does the same risk exist?

If I can't move the filter, then I guess I'll just cycle the new tank as I would with a new tank and move my fish gradually.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Moving to a bigger tank, but want to leave snails behind
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
Hi, welcome  :wave:

If you want to be totally sure about no snails, then the best thing would be to cycle the new tank without using any media from the old tank.

Soaking the bogwood in hot (not boiling) water should help. Leaving it soaking in a bucket for several days should allow any eggs to hatch and you should be able to see them in the bucket. Don't use boiling water as that breaks down the fibres in the wood and allows it to start falling apart earlier than it would otherwise.

There shouldn't be any snails in the water, or eggs for that matter.

Overfeeding the fish is the main cause of too many snails, though cutting down on feeding won't get rid of them all, just slow down the rate at which they breed.

What kind of snails do you have? I've found that my dwarf chain loaches do eat those tiny flat spirals (a type of ramshorn). I once caught one of them swimming round with a snail shell on its nose, trying to winkle the snail out.
I gave up trying to get rid of the tiny ramshorns years ago. There are some in all my tanks, even the one with the loaches though not as many in that tank.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »
Thanks for advice Sue.

I try not to overfeed the fish, as I read about dangers of doing that time and time again, so I hope that's not the contributing factor here.

My snails look like Bladder snail variety and I got the Dwarf Chain Loach hoping it will help to keep their population down. I think he does eat them as I haven't got a massive numbers, although I keep watching him and noticed him rummaging around gravel I have never seen him eat a snail. I wonder if he feeds on them at night.

Reading what you said about giving up the fight and reading other posts about snails made me think that trying to get rid of them might be a lost battle anyway. If I do manage to move to the new tank and not carry them over, chances are they'll arrive on a the next plant from the aquatics shop.

I wonder if there are lots of people who manage to keep their tanks snail free.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
i had a few come in on my new plants but i have to say i have not seen any in weeks but i do know my clown loaches was feeding on them so i am guessing they have all but wiped them out in my tank at least for the time being.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
But just to warn you Pawel, 180 litres isn't big enough for clown loaches, so don't be tempted  ;)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:14:33 PM »
opps sorry i should of added that in  :vcross: me

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
Sounds like a fish I was looking for! and they do look nice. If I could hire one hungry Clown Loach for a day.  ;)

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Just had a thought. I should have thought of it earlier. Assassin snails. I know it sounds wrong adding more snails but these eat other snails. They do reproduce but not as fast as pest snails (in theory!) and have the advantage that they are quite in demand if you do get a lot of them.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
Assassin snails are deadly...

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
lol colin its snail warfare  ;D

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »
Nice species Colin! :D

Interesting idea about Assassin snails, but a little worried about swapping one snail colony for another. Would it work at all if I add just one Assassin snail? Do you think he'll be effective and would he still reproduce?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
Assassins have separate sexes, unlike some other types of snail, and therefore require a male and female to produce young. So yes, just one won't get you overrun with them but it may take a long time for 1 assassin to eat all the pest snails, which will probably breed faster than they are eaten.

Details about assassins

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
Thanks for clarifying and for the link Sue.

I was going to say that a squad of male assassins would be the perfect solution! But reading about them and that you can't tell the difference between the male and female quashed that idea. :)

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
Sorry to be a downer but my folks have employed (figuratively) assassin snails to tackle their pest snail problem and they have been pretty ineffective so far. That said, they did only get 2 originally and they have since started breeding so hopefully the increased numbers should start to make a difference.

Interesting idea about Assassin snails, but a little worried about swapping one snail colony for another.

I wouldn't worry too much about breeding assassin snails however as they are very much saleable (unlike pest snails). They can be quite expensive to buy in fish shops at anything up to £5 each and I would imagine you could ask £1-2 selling privately.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice dbaggie, sounds like unless you have a bigger loaches, other methods may or may not work. I'll guess I'll just see what happens. If I do get snails in the new tank I'll think about it then, either get more dwarf chain loaches or assassin snails and as you say, if they get too many, pass them on to other suffering fish keepers!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »
Snail lovers - look away now!

There is always the 'squash 'em and feed 'em to the fish approach! My guppies love them.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
Snail lovers - look away now!

There is always the 'squash 'em and feed 'em to the fish approach! My guppies love them.

:rotfl:

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
Thanks for all advice.

I have decided not to worry about snails too much (I've seen the same bladder snails sold on eBay - might be a business for me there! ;-) ) and want to use the filter media from the old tank and move it to the new one, together with fish. The easiest thing would be to move the whole filter as I can just hook it on the inside wall and have it running alongside the new one for some time. Is that OK, or moving filter media to new filter is better? How long should I have both filters running alongside? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
The better way is to put the old media inside the new filter, leaving out some new media to make space for the old. The filter bacteria don't just migrate to the new filter. If you put the whole old filter in the new tank, they'll just stay in the old filter. if you get more fish, the bioload will increase so the amount of bacteria will increase to cope with it, but they may or may not set up home in the new filter. The bacteria will colonise the new media better if it is physical contact with the old. Yes, you will lose the bacteria that were growing on the old filter casing, but they will only be a small proportion of the total.
Once the new filter has been running a couple of months with the old media inside, you can start replacing the old with the media that comes with the new filter a bit at a time with several weeks between each batch. Or just leave the old in there.

If you want to do it by running both filters, wait at least 2 months before removing the old, then keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels for several days; do a water change if you see either of them showing up.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
If you want to do it by running both filters, wait at least 2 months before removing the old, then keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels for several days; do a water change if you see either of them showing up.
Rather than just hoicking the old filter and its media out in one wholesale act of bacteriacide, the better bet would be to remove, say a quarter of the media. Leave for a few days and repeat. This should give the colony in the new filter more chance to adjust to the change in bioload than the all-in-one blitzkrieg attack. Remember, it's the filter, and especially its media, that we are cycling when we talk about cycling a tank.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moving to a bigger tank, but want to leave snails behind"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post November 12, 2013, 08:31:19 AM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 12:13:40 PM
by ColinB
13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
by Diz1
18 Replies
Last post September 29, 2015, 04:43:42 PM
by fruitbat
7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
by Paddyc
40 Replies
Last post September 07, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
by Fiona
10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: