Moving To A Bigger Tank, But Want To Leave Snails Behind

Author Topic: Moving to a bigger tank, but want to leave snails behind  (Read 10397 times) 31 replies

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Moving to a bigger tank, but want to leave snails behind
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thank you both for explaining and suggestions, it makes sense. I think I'll transfer the whole filter over to new tank to speed up the move process. I'll run both filters alongside for a couple of weeks then move the filter media to the new filter. Where should I place the media in the new filter, in place of the coarse sponge? Here is what I have:

1. Poly pad
2. Carbon sponge
3. Nitrax
4. Coarse sponge
5. Cirax
6. Fine sponge x 2

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
The carbon pad is not needed; that is the best media to replace. Keep the carbon sponge in the cupboard in case you ever need it. And since it comes just after the white pad in the direction of water flow, that place is perfect for washing any loosened bacteria into the new media.

If you need more space for the old media, replace one of the fine sponges, but move things down a bit so you have one fine sponge on the bottom, then the cirax, then some old media, then the coarse sponge, then the green sponge, then more old media, lastly the white pad.

The white pad will block quickly. Juwel are unusual in having it first in the water flow; this is to catch any big bits of debris to stop it getting to the sponges. It will only wash a couple of times before falling apart. Juwel pads are expensive, so buy a roll of filter wool and use a pad as a template to cut it up.

The green sponge is supposed to remove nitrate, only it doesn't. Treat it like a blue sponge.

Blue sponges of both types (and the green one) - the instructions say to replace them every few months. Don't. Just squeeze them in the water you take out during a water change.
Cirax - just swoosh the box in old tank water.

Carbon is only needed to remove medication after treatment has finished and to remove the brown colour that comes out of wood if you don't like it. It is cheaper to buy a box of carbon granules and a fine mesh bag rather than buy black sponges if you do need to use carbon. I use net fabric for a bag.

I had a Juwel Rio 125 till January this year  :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »
I like to have these little Physalis snails in all of my tanks. Whenever I do a water change, I "vacuum" the gravel, but there's never anything to vacuum up, even after 4 or 5 weeks. I feed my fish well, more than most people I think, but the snails are pretty effective at cleaning up solid waste. I do believe you get less problems the more complex the ecosystem in your tank i.e. fish, plants, various bacteria, snails, even algae (to a certain extent). More complex systems are always less prone to sudden change.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
Keep the carbon sponge in the cupboard in case you ever need it.

I've previously been advised to keep carbon sponge in a sealed plastic bag when not in use - unsure whether this is good advice or not?

Juwel pads are expensive, so buy a roll of filter wool and use a pad as a template to cut it up.

Some lfs sell pond filter pad packs which are basically huge filter wool pads - I bought a good size one the other day for £4.99 and have calculated that I should get around 30+ individual filter wool pads out of it for my Juwel filter (which looks to be exactly the same as yours). Much better than paying through the ear for official Juwel filter pads as Sue says.

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
Keep the carbon sponge in the cupboard in case you ever need it.

I've previously been advised to keep carbon sponge in a sealed plastic bag when not in use - unsure whether this is good advice or not?

I suppose the carbon could adsorb airborne things if it's left out of a bag. My carbon granules came in a plastic tub with a lid, so that'll keep mine away from the air.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »

Some lfs sell pond filter pad packs which are basically huge filter wool pads - I bought a good size one the other day for £4.99 and have calculated that I should get around 30+ individual filter wool pads out of it for my Juwel filter (which looks to be exactly the same as yours). Much better than paying through the ear for official Juwel filter pads as Sue says.

Yes I bought some juwel filter floss pads for three quid a couple of weeks ago, and today bought a 'small' pad of pond filter wool for £2.70 which was about twelve times the size of the juwel pads.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
So much useful advice! I rather spend the money on the fish and plants then on swapping the sponges.

As I've got the carbon sponge running for a week now, I think I may as well run it for a month. I heard somewhere that once you activate it by immersing in water it will work for this period of time then stop or start releasing back the chemicals it absorbed. I've got two more sponges so I'll keep them to the side and use when needed.

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
I do believe you get less problems the more complex the ecosystem in your tank i.e. fish, plants, various bacteria, snails, even algae (to a certain extent). More complex systems are always less prone to sudden change.

Good point about creating a complex ecosystem. Thanks Richard.

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 12:38:18 PM »
There are a lot of myths about carbon.

It adsorbs (not absorbs) by covalent bonding. Adsorb means things attach to the surface only, while absorb means they penetrate inside. Carbon doesn't form ionic bonds so it doesn't remove ions like nitrite, nitrate or ammonium - and the majority of the ammonia in the tank is in the ammonium form. Carbon mainly adsorbs organic chemicals, such as medication and tannins from wood, though it will also adsorb such things as hormones secreted by the fish and even plants.

It doesn't release chemicals wholesale into the tank. When it adsorbs things, there is always some left in the water. There is an equilibrium between the bound and the free. If the equilibrium is disturbed the chemical will move on or off the carbon to restore the equilibrium. So removing medication, it will bind to the carbon but some will be left free in the water. You do a water change and remove some of the free so some has to come off the carbon back into the water to restore the equilibrium. That's why the carbon should be thrown away a couple of days after using it to remove meds. Also, using several smaller batches, changed every day, will remove more of the med.

Some things are more strongly bound to carbon than others. Although carbon becomes 'full' within a few days to a couple of weeks, if a medication binds more strongly to the carbon it will push off whatever is already on there and stick in its place. This does two things - it removes the med from the water and it releases possible toxins back into the water.

The reason so many filters include carbon is a hangover from decades past. Then, the nitrogen cycle was not understood. And fishkeepers rarely did water changes, which resulted in the water turning yellow. These fishkeepers did not like yellow water so they used carbon to remove it. That's all filters were back then, an air powered box filter containing carbon granules and a bit of filter wool to stop the fish poo etc getting into the carbon. Because the carbon got full and the water started turning yellow again, they had to change the carbon regularly so that no bacteria cultures had time to grow on the carbon, though there would have been some on the other surfaces in the tank.
We now know about the nitrogen cycle and have filters which provide homes for the bacteria. We now know that regular water changes are good for the fish. But carbon is cheap to produce, it has to be changed regularly and filter manufacturers have a nice little earner, so why stop putting it in the filter packaging?

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
Thank you Sue, very informative. I guess carbon may also be useful to remove yellow tint from the bogwood.

I moved my fish now, all look happy in the new place. Chain loach turned a bit pale and red after the move, he must have stressed out a bit, poor thing, but he is back to his normal black and white self now :p

Offline ColinB

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »
That's good news. Nice one!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Pawel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 08:39:50 AM »
Thanks Colin. Forgot to mention so far no snails in sight!  C:-)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moving to a bigger tank, but want to leave snails behind"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post November 12, 2013, 08:31:19 AM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 12:13:40 PM
by ColinB
13 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 03:52:43 PM
by Diz1
18 Replies
Last post September 29, 2015, 04:43:42 PM
by fruitbat
7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 08:08:44 PM
by Paddyc
40 Replies
Last post September 07, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
by Fiona
10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2020, 09:45:59 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: