See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Mopani Wood

Author Topic: Mopani wood  (Read 558 times)

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Mopani wood
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:06:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, I got myself a couple of pieces of mopani wood for the tank, i've been soaking them in hot water for around three weeks now, changing the water a couple of times a day. They are still leaking a lot of tannins. Anyone got any experience of this or can say roughly how long this will go on for. I'm not to bothered about a tint of tannins in the tank, but at the moment it is way too dark to have in the tank.
Thanks Andy.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
Re: Mopani wood
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »
Have you boiled the wood? You better do this for ~2 hours. If you can't fit in a vessel then try  boiling one side for an hour and other side for an hour.

This should reduce the time of soaking significantly.

Fish Community Creator Tanks - Assess Tankmate Suitability Tool
Guppy (male) (4) - Platy (4) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Honey Gourami (4) - Guppy (male) (1) - Platy (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Glowlight Danio (1) - Otocinclus (1) - Golden Pencilfish (1) - Lemon Tetra (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (1) - Cherry Barb (1) - Dwarf Chain Loach (1) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Zebra Danio (1) - Black Molly (1) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Flag Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:36:24 AM »
I did brush my wood before boiling.

Guppy (male) (4) - Platy (4) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Honey Gourami (4) - Guppy (male) (1) - Platy (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Glowlight Danio (1) - Otocinclus (1) - Golden Pencilfish (1) - Lemon Tetra (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (1) - Cherry Barb (1) - Dwarf Chain Loach (1) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Zebra Danio (1) - Black Molly (1) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Flag Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
They leak tannins for a while, but it's nothing to worry about. I'd pop the wood in your tank and if the colour is getting too dark, then do a water change. I was hoping for a slightly tea stained appearance when I added my last piece of wood, but unfortunately the water colour remained pretty much unchanged.

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 08:52:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply's , I suppose i could boil the two smaller pieces but the main piece is quite large and i don't have anything big enough, even putting the piece on its side, it would still be too big. I have it in a large white tub at the moment and it just about fits in there, i'm wondering if the colour maybe looks darker against the solid white background ?? maybe i will just put it in the tank and deal with the consequences. As long as it doesn't go too dark i will be happy  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
Boiling causes wood fibres break down faster - the wood disintegrates sooner than it would if it hadn't been boiled. If this doesn't worry you, you can try boiling it, but I want my wood to last as long as possible  ;D

Offline Andy64

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »
Words of wisdom  :) thank you Sue, i'll continue to soak the wood in water for another week or so, i waited long enough for the tank to cycle so a bit of wood, is not going to bother me ...........  ;D

Offline Helen

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »
Instead of boiling it, try using boiled water to soak it in. If you've only soaked in cold water, you will notice a difference to just boiled water.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Yes there is a difference between putting the wood in a bucket and pouring boiling water over it then letting it sit in the hot water; and putting the wood in a large pan of water on the top of the cooker and actually boiling it like you would with a pan of vegetables, which a lot of people do. It's the second one that makes the wood fall apart faster, and that's what I assume people mean when they say to boil wood.

Offline Helen

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »
Inspired by @Matt 's aquascaping project with @Littlefish (or should it be the other way round?), I have bought a couple extra bits of wood to try and improve the shape of the aquascape in my tank (without completely reworking it).

My question is, how long do I soak the wood for? I am not at all averse to tannins in my tank, but want to make sure the wood doesn't introduce any nasties.

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:39:24 AM »
I've not really heard of there being any problems after introducing new wood other than a mould growing on the wood and tannins being released (both harmless and disappear with time). I soaked my Mopani for a week in a bucket of water which i changed daily, replacing with boilinh water each time if memory serves.

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.
See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Mopani wood"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 11:01:17 AM
by Richard W
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 09:08:35 PM
by Extreme_One
10 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 08:00:12 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2018, 10:36:06 PM
by TopCookie
3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2018, 08:56:44 AM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2018, 07:23:45 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: