Luck, Skill Or Should I Be Worried?

Author Topic: Luck, skill or should I be worried?  (Read 5550 times) 28 replies

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Luck, skill or should I be worried?
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone, a bit of background, I kept fish all the time I was growing up, years I had tanks running but then life got in the way but now I've settled down it was time to invest again.
I have a 120lt 90cm tank with an oversized internal filter box, the tank has been running approx 3 weeks, 1 week empty, 2 weeks with fish (6black neon tetras) I have 4 small plants (apologies but I know not what they are), 2 lumps of bogwood and 4 medium pebbles (off Brighton beach), everything was boiled for about an hour before placing.
I have approx 60% gravel and 40% sand ( I've always loved Julii corys so planned for them with the sand).
Now you have an idea of my tank I get to the confusing bit, nothing is happening, or it appears nothing is happening with the cycle, I added a bacteria booster when I added the fish and test the water twice a day (morning and evening) nothing is showing up, no ammonia, no nitrites and only slightly more nitrates than the base I get out of the tap. I've even bought 3 different testers to factor out getting a duff batch still no results whatsoever, not once.
Anybody have an idea what's going on? I'm at a loss and wondering if I should be concerned, any help anyone can give would be amazing.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Luck, skill or should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 02:31:58 AM »
You don't have very many fish in your tank which is a good thing, but it might take a bit longer for the ammonia levels to start to increase because 6 little tetras really don't produce all that much waste. I would say just leave everything as it is, keep testing the water, and soon you will start to notice some change.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:55:16 AM »
Hello Adam, and welcome to the forum.

Yup - just keep testing and don't be tempted to add any more fish for a while yet. Patience you must  :isay:  :))

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Thanks for your input guys, I know the waiting game must now be played, everything is going ok in the tank, I had to rescue a tetra from one of the filter intakes, swam around in circles for a bit but since then has seemed perfectly healthy, maybe it was asleep to close to the filter?! I have no idea! I'm still getting nothing in any of my testers I change 25l of water every 3 days, just to keep it turning over, I'm getting a few bubbles out of the substrate every now and then, should I invest in a couple of trumpet snails to keep it turned over?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »
If you are not getting any reading above zero for ammonia and nitrite you can do water changes less often. 6 black neons in 120 litres aren't going to make very much ammonia at all. Try dropping your water changes to once a week, keeping a daily eye on those levels. If you haven't seen as much as a blip in for the next couple of weeks, you could get a few more fish - maybe equal to 3 black neons - and watch those levels daily again. If you see ammonia and/or nitrite, do water changes to lower them.

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »
Thanks Sue, I'll drop it to once a week maybe, it's just a preference I have to keep it nice and clean. Are snails a good idea instead of fish to increase the load? I want to keep it as healthy and natural as possible no signs of algal growth just yet.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:04 PM »
Oohh missed the bit about mts  :-[

I would hold off those a couple of weeks as well. 2 would be a good number. They will breed quite happily and if you overfeed the fish you'll end up with hundreds  ;)

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »
Ok I'll give it until payday ;D before I get some, then I'll get an assassin snail or two the month after, then maybe a loach!

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »
then maybe a loach!

Just to warn you, loaches need to be in shoals of at least 4 with more being better. And there aren't many that will fit in a 90cm tank, dwarf chain loaches being the only one I can think of.

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »
That was me just extrapolating as I'll have an explosion of MTS then if I get assassins I'll have an explosion of them, hopefully it'll get to a point where they would balance each other out as I don't actually want any loaches, other than Kuhli.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 05:01:11 PM »
Kuhli loaches also need to be in a group, very unhappy on their own, so don't buy "a loach". They also need places to hide and enough sand to bury themselves.

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
Yeah my bogwood is soon to be drilled full of holes for them to wriggle through etc I'm thinking 5-6 kuhli, 5-6 cory a few bristle nose obviously my neons and one or two peaceful specimen fish which are tbc.

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
Here's a pic of my little habitat, if anyone's interested!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 08:24:07 AM »
I see you've managed to get the substrate stuck to the side of the tank - that's pretty advanced aquaculture in my book! :rotfl:

Sorry - couldn't resist. ;)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
Not sure if kuhlis, corys AND bristlenose wouldn't be a bit over the top for bottom fish. There could be conflicts.

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
I'm not having much luck with the substrate, I've managed to lose most of the delightful black sand I had  >:( through siphoning, I don't have the hang of it yet. I'll skip the Kuhlis I think, although I do like them I much prefer corys, so much personality from a fish.
I'm still getting zippo on the readings although Nitrate spiked during the day from my morning test to evening, and then levelled out the next day.
If I want to slowly reduce the hardness of my water, my back garden backs onto the South Downs so if you turn the tap on chalk comes out, with a bit of water added in. How would I achieve this, RO water or is there another way.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
The only realistic way to lower hardness is with RO water I'm afraid. Either mix it with your tapwater to get the hardness you want or use just RO with added remineralisation salts.

As for losing your sand, do you siphon the tank water into a bucket or down the sink/out of the window with a hose? If it's into a bucket, carefully pour the water away and wash the sand with tapwater then put it back in the tank. The tiny bit of chlorine with the sand won't do any harm. That's what I do.

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
I do it into a water bottle, one of the big ones from an office water cooler. It's pretty difficult to get it out of the bottle, I think I can take the hit on it as Ive changed my mind, again, and would now prefer a full yellow sand substrate, I think that'd be a more natural South American look/habitat that I'd like and hopefully my fish would prefer. Thanks for the tip though Sue.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I use rain water from a water butt to dilute my liquid chalk. It's OK as long as the level in the butt doesn't get too far down.... and then I use RO. I wash out the gunk from the bottom of the butt once a year - which reminds me.... it's that time of the year again.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
I forgot to mention rainwater!
But if you live in an area with a lot of pollution, rain water isn't a good idea.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Luck, skill or should I be worried?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 10:17:49 AM
by jesnon
17 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 11:20:02 PM
by Chucklett
6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 08:30:17 PM
by Dawnrosie
14 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 06:14:41 PM
by Extreme_One

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: