Author Topic: Lots of Algae forming  (Read 5536 times) 26 replies

Offline Rigsby1208

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Lots of Algae forming
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:43:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I'm quite new to fish keeping, but seem to be getting on OK.
The key problem I have is a lot of algae build up all over tank sides, stones in the bottom of the tank, plants etc.
I do the 25% bi weekly water changes and cleaning but the siphon doesnt get close to cleaning the stones at the tank base, and I have to take them out to give them a decent clean every month or so.
Is this normal??
Would an algae eating fish help?
My tank is under stocked so shouldnt be a problem from that perspective.
In terms of water, its quite hard and PH and nitrates on the upper limit.

Thanks in advance

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Lots of Algae forming
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:11:41 AM »
What type of algae and how long has your tank been up and running and what do you have in there currently? Also how long are your lights on for an is the tnk near a window?

Once we know that we'll have a better idea of causes, how to help and recommendations to solve the problem.

Welcome to the forum by the way  :wave:

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 08:28:12 AM »
Hi Rigsby1208 and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:29 AM »
Fiona asked about the type of algae - this website has an algae ID guide. The causes and cures it gives are mainly for heavily planted tanks, but knowing what algae you are dealing with will help.
All tanks have some algae, the problems arise when it starts to take over.

It is better to cure the cause of the algae rather than buy fish. Different fish eat different kinds of algae, and with some types of algae there is nothing that eats it. And before recommending any fish we would need to know how big the tank is, what fish you already have, and if your tap water is soft or hard.

The more info you can give us, the better  :)

Offline Rigsby1208

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »
Hi
My tank is a 22ltr. 
I have a panda corydora, a siamese fighter, and 7 neon tetras.
Its been running for a year or two, but I have inherited it from the previous owner approximately 3 months ago.
Lights are an LED which seems quite bright, it is on for about 14 hours a day.
The tank is situated in a relatively shady spot not near any windows.

In terms of the type of Algae, it doesnt fit any of the types shown on the website you guided me to very well.
Its kind of a brown covering all over the sides of the tank, thermometer etc, but appears as a black covering on my plants. 
I have also notice a slight occurance of the thread algae recently

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:01 PM »
The algae you've described sounds like Brown Diatoms which are a microscopic creature with similar needs to Algae.

Here are conditions that are beneficial to diatoms:

• Light
  • Silicates (rocks or sand containing silica)
  • Nitrates (a waste product of aquarium life)
  • Still or stagnant water
  • Hard or mineral-rich water

There is another problem though, I'm afraid your tank is overstocked and inadequate for the fish you're keeping.

At 22L, with a likely length of between 30 - 40cm It's too small for Neons and too small for Panda Corys.

With the number of fish you're keeping you are overstocked, meaning the colony of denitrifying bacteria in your filter and on the surfaces of your tank will struggle to cope with the waste produced. Waste in an aquatic environment is dealt with by the Nitrogen Cycle. There is an easy to follow article describing the Nitrogen Cycle here.

Do you test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates?

With an overstocked tank you might want to consider changing your regime to 15% water changes twice a week.

I'd also consider reducing the time your lights are on to 12 hours, or less.

These things might help with the diatom problem.

On an entirely separate subject, I just noticed this is my 666th post here!!!  :yikes:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »
I have to agree with Extreme. A tank that size is fine for a betta (siamese fighter) and not much else. With the amount of fish you have, there will be a lot of nitrate being made by the filter from the fish's waste. Unless there are a lot of live plants in the tank to use it as fertiliser, that is one contributor to algae. The lights on for that long is another cause.

Brown algae tends to be diatoms which are common in new tanks where there is ammonia in the water, so I would definitely test for that. if you don't have your own testers, get it tested at a shop but ask them for the number not just something like 'fine'.

What to do:
Have the lights on for less time. If you don't have any real plants, it can go down to as little as 6 hours.
A really big water change (leave just enough water for the fish to be able to swim upright) will get rid of a lot of nitrate, then I would change at least a third of the water a couple of times a week with that many fish. At the same time, if you have gravel on the bottom of the tank, give that a really good clean to get rid of any fish poo and uneaten food which will contribute to the nitrate level.
And rehome some fish. The panda cory really needs some more of its own kind. Do you know anyone who has any and would take yours? f not, maybe see if a fish shop will take it.

Of course you could always get a bigger tank for the neons and more cories, and leave the siamese fighter in the 22 litre  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »
Of course you could always get a bigger tank for the neons and more cories, and leave the siamese fighter in the 22 litre  :)

I find that another/bigger tank is the answer to most things.  ;D

Offline Rigsby1208

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.
As it happens I cracked my tank a couple of weeks ago trying to get all the stones out of the bottom of it to clean of the algae.  I have just ordered a 55 ltr tank to move to so I guess I should be OK from the over stocking point of view?
Im surprised the tetras will need a really big tank as they are tiny, how come?
Any advice for some fish which will be interesting / colourful (like the siamese fighter) that will be happy in the new 55 ltr tank?
Would it be worth getting some nerite snails as well?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
Nerite snails will help with algae, though even they don't eat all types. Finding the cause of the algae and sorting that out is the best way to go.

There are a lot of small fish that need bigger tanks than you'd think from looking at them. It is because of the way they swim. A lot of small fish are fast swimmers so they need the swimming room of a larger tank than their size alone would imply.

A 55 litre is fine for neons, and you could get some more panda cories  ;D

Do you know if you have soft or hard water? That info should be somewhere on your water company's website.
If you want smallish fish, and your water is softish, you could go for ember tetras for red or Microdevario kubotai for green (the last ones are sometimes sold as green tetras or neon green rasboras).
Provided the flow from the filter isn't too strong, look at honey gouramis and in particular the yellow or red variants (provided you don't move the betta over as bettas and gouramis don't get on)

But get the new tank set up first, move the fish over together with some media from the 22 litre - leave enough for the betta. Once the tank has settled and you are over any mini-spike in ammonia and/or nitrite, then you can get more fish a few at a time.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
A 55-litre tank is certainly better than the 22-litre. You'll find that the neons' colours will brighten once they're in a better environment, more suited to their requirements.

If you kept the 7 neon tetras and increased your panda cories to 6 or 7 in number, you should be about fully stocked. NB. Cories do better in a sand substrate as gravel substrates wear down their barbels.

Alternatively, if you sold / gave away the single panda cory (eg through Aquarist Classifieds), then you could probably get approx 6 endlers - they'd be perfect in your hard water. If you sold / gave away the 7 neon tetras too (which do better in very soft / soft water), then you could probably increase the number of endlers to about 12, provided you had no other fish in the tank.

The best way to work out appropriate numbers is to have a smaller number to begin with (say 6), see how the water quality does (if you can keep ammonia and nitrITES at 0, and nitrATES under 20), and if you're having no trouble keeping them under those levels with your bi-weekly water changes, then you might be able to increase numbers little by little up to a max of 12 (or whatever the Community Creator recommends with your tank and filter specifications). However, it sounds from what you've said, that your nitrates are quite high.

I tend to go to 80% of what the Community Creator (available via http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-profiles) recommends - it allows for the tank not being full to the brim with water and also for the decor inside. I probably could stock beyond that, and did for a while in the past, but I'd rather allow a margin for error in the event of unforeseen circumstances such as one of the two filters failing or me/someone falling ill and me not being able to do a water change.

Hope that helps.

Offline Rigsby1208

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »
The water is very hard in our area.  I am trying to use water from the Britta water filter going forward http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forums/Smileys/default/embarrassed.gif which does seem to knock off the hardness a bit.
I have also turned down the lights to about 10 hours a day.
I dont have amonia on my test strips..should I get an amonia test? if so any recommendations or are they all OK?

what is the Betta??

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:39:52 PM »
Our replies overlapped, Rigsby. :)  From what I can gather, the ammonia tests are all quite good and easy to read.  Liquid-based test kits tend to be considered more accurate than test strip ones generally (although I prefer the test strips for nitrites and nitrates as they're easier to read), but I can't vouch for the ammonia test strip as I've never used it (nor know of anyone on here who's used it).

A betta is the same as a Siamese fighter fish - just another name. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »
Don't use Brita water!

It swaps the 'hard' minerals for hydrogen ions; pH is an upside down measure of hydrogen ions so Brita water has very low pH. My jug dropped mine to off the bottom of the scale with my pH tester - to below 6.0.
In fact the faq's on Brita's website used to advise against using it for aquariums.

If you want to reduce the hardness of the water RO (reverse osmosis) is the better way. That doesn't swap one thing for another, it removes everything. You wouldn't need to use pure RO, just mix it with your tapwater to get the hardness you want.

And sorry for missing the fact you said you had hard water in your first post  :-[

Siamese fighting fish tend to be called bettas these days, it's from the latin name, Betta spendens. The reason is that the term fighting fish seems to have the effect of a certain type of mentality saying - oooh fighting fish, lets get some and get them to fight. Calling them bettas stops these people realising what the fish are.

Offline Rigsby1208

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
Thanks for all the advice...wow, this is getting serious, I've just ordered a reverse osmosis filter for my water changes!
What advice do you haver for setting up my new 55ltr tank, which arrives today?
I'ver read I should I add a 2cm layer of topsoil covered by some sand to give plants something to root to and nutrients.  Is that over complicating it for a simple smallish tank?
Any recommendations for new media as my current stones might be compounding my algae problem and not great for my Corys barbells?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
I recommend soil under the substrate, but my observation is that sand on top of the soil is much worse than gravel for growing plants. Sand doesn't allow much water to flow through it, some water flow is needed to bring oxygen to the plant roots. Some people insist sand is necessary for Corydoras, but I haven't seen any difference, provided that the gravel is fine, round, about 2 mm diameter, a lot of aquarium gravel is quite coarse. I have fine gravel over soil and have excellent growth of plants and no problems with barbels of any fish..........

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »
I've just ordered a reverse osmosis filter for my water changes!

Be aware that if you use 100% RO water, you will have to remineralise it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 04:07:31 PM »
The alternative is to mix RO with tap water to get the desired hardness. And use the same proportions at every water change.

Offline Rigsby1208

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Re-mineralise it? Is that because the RO strips everything out of the water?
What would be the best ratio to mix with tap water? approx 50%?

In terms of the sand, I have read that using swimming pool filter sand is a good option.  Grains are approximately 1mm, its inert and doesnt taint the water and is cheap.  Any thoughts?

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 06:39:52 PM »
I've heard of Americans using pool filter sand. But Richard is one of the plant experts and if he says to use fine gravel, go for that. If you want to use sand you could try my method and get plants that need to be attached to decor (Java fern, anubias, bolbitis, Java moss etc)

Yes, RO removes everything dissolved in the water and there are no fish in the aquarium trade that can survive in RO. You have to have some minerals in the water  even with the softest water, and with RO those minerals have to come from special remineralisation salts or from hard tap water.
It is hard to say what % RO to use without knowing just how hard your tap water is. The easiest would be to look up the requirements of the fish you want and the hardness of your tap water then you can work out the right mixture to get the hardness you want.
To find out the fish's requirements look at fishbase or seriously fish. Fishbase sometimes has a glitch where the fish profiles don't load properly. If you find this, there are several mirror sites listed at the top of the page, try one of those as they are all in English.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Lots of Algae forming "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 08:00:44 PM
by Andy M
19 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 10:43:37 PM
by Chucklett
2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2014, 07:57:21 PM
by Mogwai
11 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 09:45:01 PM
by Colin H
13 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 03:02:13 AM
by biffster
27 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 11:32:47 AM
by Dominika

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: