Author Topic: Long Awaited Tank Pictures  (Read 4018 times) 14 replies

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Long Awaited Tank Pictures
« on: October 12, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Tank #1:
This is my 55Gallon aquarium, pretty well planted. It was my first time ever doing anything with live plants and I couldn't really tell you everything I have in there plantwise. The left side is dark due to a crap ton of frogbit, and I know the light is off centered. I haven't moved it yet lol since we scooted the tank a bit.

The fish in this tank are a pretty mixed variety:
  • 2 3 Spot Gourami Females
  • 1 Snakeeye Gourami
  • 5 Black Skirt Tetras
  • 5 White Skirt Tetras
  • I think 6 or 7 Zebra Danios
  • 5 Serpae Tetras
  • 3 Oto's
  • 1 Bristlenose Pleco
  • 4 Giant Danios
  • 10 Neon Tetras
  • 10 Black Neon Tetras
  • 4 Silver Hatchetfish
  • Some Red Cherry Shrimp
  • Some ghost shrimp
  • Some MTS, Ramshorn and mystery snails...
and I think that is all we have in this tank. Everything is looking very healthy, constant stable parameters, the only thing is a lot of waste is produced and the tank substrate is only clean for about 48 hours after I do the weekly water change and cleaning.

Tank #2:
This is primarily the girlfriends tank, it is 15G and either going to be swapped into a 16 bowfront or a 20L or 20H tank in a couple months. Easily the cleanest water because it is the most lightly stocked. Also...sadly the betta died, the water was perfect and he just must've been getting stressed from something, maybe the new tankmates? But everything seemed 100% normal and then about a week ago I woke up to see him still. I poked him, no reaction and after waiting 20 minutes I was sure he was dead, we had a burial for him and planted him under a tree so he would kind of become one with it.

• 1 Rubber Lip Pleco
  • 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Tank #3:
This is my 10G shrimp tank, which now also has Celestial Pearl Danios in it, originally there was not going to be any fish but then one day we were at the LFS and saw them! I had to get them, was too fearful of the betta eating them, and they are way too small to be mixed with the gourami's. The water is yellow due to tannins, we do a water change every 2-3 change about 25%. I completely forgot to boil the driftwood beforehand but it should clear up in a month or so, too late now as we have moss rooted into it. Amazingly as well a large amount of waste is produced in this tank, I figured with such a low stocking it wouldn't be this bad.

• 7 Celestial Pearl Danios (3 male, 4 female; I hope they breed.
  • Some Red Cherry Shrimp

Tank #4:
a 20G long tank....stocked with two 4-5" Goldfish, I am trying to find a new home for these guys as they really need a pond. Starting to go into winter here soon though, maybe I can find somebody nearby with a large tank to keep them in until they move into a pond. If you know anybody in PA stateside that might want them please let me know.

Tank #5:
Just purchased and setup today! This is a 24"x24"x24" 60Gallon rimless cube tank. I am actually pretty excited for it. Set it up and tossed in some fish food today to get the cycle going. I want to do somethign different and interesting in here....gobies? ropefish? who knows. I just don't want it to be anything I already have, and I plan on keeping this tank pretty lightly stocked for it's size.

I am looking for suggestions for this tank, my initial idea was to locate some seiryu stone or ohko stone to scape it with, make some caves over some sandy substrate. Use dividers and get some fluval or ADA substrate for a planted side but make sure to have an area cut off from that with just plain clean sand so that way I could leave open the option to get cories. I really wanted to get 3-5 Peacock gobies, 5-7 panda cories, and maybe something else but I'm not really sure. Crystal red shrimp would be cool but are very expensive, and my water is a little hard. Not sure how the ADA or fluval substrate will affect my water and how long it would last.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Peacock Goby (5) - Panda Cory (5) - Guppy (female) (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Zebra Danio (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Giant Danio (4) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Japonica Shrimp (50) - Three Spot Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (4) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Snakeskin Gourami (1) - Serpae Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Long Awaited Tank Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well dona. Great photos and amazing tanks. Wow.   8)
Sorry to hear about your betta.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the new tank.
 ;D

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
Cracking tanks, especially #1!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »
Great tanks - thanks for the photos.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »
Great tanks and fish - thanks for the photos. Sorry to read about the betta - but how lovely to read about his "send-off"/burial. I particularly like the photos of the goldfish - I'm very partial to them, having kept them for many years; you're correct, though, that spring would be the best time to re-locate them to a pond, and make sure you find one that has adequate precautions in place in the event of lurking predators (winged or furry ones).

Thanks again for the pics.

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the compliments, I'll be sure to post some pictures and status updates on the new tank as well. Just went out today to buy some substrate, still trying to source some stones.

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Peacock Goby (5) - Panda Cory (5) - Guppy (female) (1) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Zebra Danio (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Giant Danio (4) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Japonica Shrimp (50) - Three Spot Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (4) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Snakeskin Gourami (1) - Serpae Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (10) -

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 09:07:58 PM »
Got my stones from the local abandoned quarry. Quick power wash and in they went!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »
Just noticed you're thinking of keeping gobies in your new tank. I have a Stiphodon semoni and he's a real character. I would highly recommend gobies, but be sure you have a good turnover (10x per hour) and I wouldn't recommend adding them to a brand new setup because of their dietary requirements.

Have you thought about puffers? The tank would be great for dwarf pufferfish!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
Dwarf puffers are great little characters. I love watching mine.
They like hard water as well.

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:03 AM »
@Cod_only_knows @Littlefish

I wish there was some places like that around me. They're all west coast, but I did find somebody willing to pick it up and ship it to me for pretty cheap. Better than online at least.

As for dwarf puffers...it was an idea! However, I have a 16G bowfront lying around to setup in a couple months....I was thinking maybe saving them for that.

10x is a lot...right now I have a very large sponge filter, and a fluval 206. I need to get a 306, preferably a 406 for this tank and then could remove the sponge filter.

After searching the web I've established a nice little list of possible fish. Like I said I did want something different.

Black Ghost Knifefish
Gold Nugget Pleco
Kuhli Loach
Boesman Rainbowfish
Ropefish
Axolotl (I know technically not a fish)
Twig Catfish
Marbled/Tiger Angelfish
Then the various gobies either Shrimp/Peacock/Clown/Bumblebee
Discus
Hillstream Loach

Any of these would be my main fish, or maybe a couple but then I'd choose another fish or two based around them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 06:47:35 AM »
@Gabriel I started with a 125L tank for my puffers, then found them so adorable I upgraded to a 220L which now hold 15 dwarf puffers. It sounds like your 16G tank would be perfect for a smaller group. They really are very entertaining.

Looking at your list of fish is a bit like looking at my own wish list.
Unfortunately the tank is too small for a black ghost knifefish. It is a fish that I woud love to own, and recently I had a spare 4ft x 2ft tank available, so started seriously researching it. I also contacted another forum user, @hampalong , who has kept BGK. All advice is that they need HUGE tanks, bigger than 6.5ft x 2.5ft, because they grow quite large, but aren't very flexible, so need the stace to be able to turn around. So sorry about this. I was very disappointed when I realised i couldn't have a BGK.
Axolotls on the other hand, I have 6 of the adorably goofy little fellas. They are not the most active creatures, until it comes to feeding time, but they are slightly uncoordinated, which is fascinating. If you want to research them, these are links to the sites I use.
http://www.axolotl.org/
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml
http://sillyaxolotls.wixsite.com/sillyaxolotls

All types of catfish are awesome. I only have a bristlenose and a blue-eyed ancistrus at the moment, but plan on more when the axolotls move to their new tank within the next month.
All types of gobies are beautiful. Really beautiful. Again, planning to get some after rearranging my tanks.
Hillstream loaches are fascinating. The other tank being delivered this month is going to be a river tank, with hillstream loaches (sewellia lineolata specifically) and a few other suitable fish. I love the way they move in the water.

I don't know much about the other fish on your list, but had a look at some rainbowfish when looking at fish that could share a tank with blockhead cichlids. Very pretty.

Please keep us updated on your decision-making process.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 09:40:17 AM »
Is that list for the empty tank, the 24 x 24 x 24 inch 60 gall tank? If it is, you need to look at more than the volume. It is only a 24 inch long tank (60 cm to those who prefer metric). A lot of fish that would be suitable for a rectangular 60 gall tank need more swimming length than you have so you'll need to look at fish suitable for smaller tanks. To give you some idea I have just closed down a 13 gall (50 litre) tank which had the same swimming length as your 60 gall.
To add to Littlefish's comments on your list:

....Hmmm, I'm getting a 404 error message from Seriously Fish so the following is off the top of my head and will be updated when (if?) SF comes back.

Edit - SF is back. Updated info in italics

Bosemani rainbowfish need a longer tank Aquarium size at least 48 x 12 x 12 inches
Ropefish grow up to 16 inches, two thirds of the tank sides; need a bigger tank Minimum tank size 60 x 24 x 24 inches
Twig catfish need a longer tank Minimum tank size 36 x 12 x 12 inches
Angelfish and discus need a longer tank Angelfish 40 x 15 x 20 inches, discus 48 x 18 x 18 inches
Hillstream loaches need very fast flowing cooler water. Do-able but need carefully chosen tank mates. Not many fish will cope with the water flow and temps hillstreams need.
Gobies - there are freshwater gobies, brackish gobies and marine gobies. Of your list, shrimp gobies and clown gobies are marine; bumblebee gobies are brackish. Peacock gobies are fresh water.

Peacock gobies are also called peacock gudgeons. They are not true gobies but sleepers. They would fit in your tank, 1 male and 2 or 3 females. No more than 1 male because the footprint is quite small. I have 2 males in my 18 x 42 inch tank but I wouldn't keep them in smaller than this.

This tank is quite wide compared to the standard rectangular tank so smallish bottom dwelling fish that are not fast swimmers would be suitable. Most 24 inch long rectangular tanks are 12 to 15 inches wide; your tank, at 24 inches wide, has a bigger footprint than these.

Do you know if you have hard or soft water? You did give some numbers a while ago but with no units so we couldn't tell from the numbers if your water is hard or soft. Recommendations do depend on hardness eg apistogrammas would go well in your tank if you have soft water.

Edit - just found the table in a post which has the hardness at 143 ppm. This converts to 8 german deg. It is neither soft nor hard but middling. You need to avoid fish that must have very soft or very hard water but leaving those out you do have a wide choice suitable for the tank. Provided you take the minimum tank length into account.

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 03:14:38 AM »
@Littlefish

Thanks for all of the links! And yeah I sure will. Have a lot more decisions to make, getting the stones and plants in this week hopefully and the proper size filter.

@Sue

So yes, that list is the fish I have basically always wanted to keep, and they are different and meet my requirements. I haven't looked up any specific needs to see what they need, salt/tropical etc. it's just a list of fish I would be willing to keep basically. So thanks for all of the info you provided and I will keep in mind about the straight swimming space. That actually completely slipped my mind.

But really angelfish? I have seen many times people keeping them in 30H tanks which measure in smaller than mine is and they prosper and have even bred.

and yeah you found my water, it's not on either extreme which I guess is good for the most part. I am going to continue just looking and learning more about the fish I want to keep. Once I scape it this week then hopefully I'll also get a better idea of what I want to put in there.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 08:52:19 AM »
I use Seriously Fish for tank sizes and in here they say minimum size for angels is 100 x 40 x 50 cm, which converts to 40 x 15 x 20 inches.

Just because people keep them in 30H tanks doesn't mean they should. Angels do need tall tanks, with a minimum of 45 cm/18 inches water depth which your tank has, but they also need a longer tank than your cube. The problem with cubes is that they sacrifice side to side in favour of a larger front to back.

Offline Gabriel

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 11:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the link @Sue

I always appreciate your experience and knowledge with fishkeeping.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Long Awaited Tank Pictures"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 05:20:12 AM
by Mervyn
6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
by Resa
51 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
by DutchyHolland
19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 04:21:48 PM
by SteveS
102 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 02:04:47 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 08:09:35 AM
by Littlefish
38 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 06:22:16 PM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: