Live Bacteria

Author Topic: Live Bacteria  (Read 16404 times) 48 replies

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
Re: Live Bacteria
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
This is why I like discussions like this, we know most of it but now again a little gem pops up. :)

Well I'm glad I checked the little filter because I had packed the sponge in too tight, it was from another matured filter but still it was tight and as I say I read if the oxygen can't flow through the same it inhibits the bacteria growth and sometimes if it is too tight it can stop it or more a less stop it resulting in a possible spike.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
The water has to be able to flow adequately through a filter. If it's too tightly packed, the water flow slows down, reducing the amount of both food (ammonia/nitrite) and oxygen reaching the bacteria.

Did you also know that synthetic sponges come in two types? There are those that soak up water and hold it and those that allow water to run through them. For use in a filter, it has to be the last type. If you want to use cheap sponges rather than expensive aquarium ones, not only do you have to make sure the sponge hasn't been impregnated with some sort of cleaning chemical, you also have to make sure it's the right type.

Fish food will also decay better if it's crumbled up as lots of little pieces have more surface area than one big piece. The bigger the surface area the faster it will decay because the micro-organisms that do the decomposing can get to more of it.
I use the word micro-organism as there will be bacteria, fungi, protozoa etc not just one type.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
The thing about the sponges is interesting, for example in a filter I had one time the bottom layer was very course then it went less course to the top layer which was quite dense, I am resuming the difference in the courses was the final part took out the tiniest particles so acted a water polisher.
I suppose this is why some have filter wool as the polisher to take out the small particles that would normally pass through the very wide holed sponges.

Offline Sue

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
That's right. Although all the media will house bacteria, some do it better than others. Coarse sponges with big holes are a better biomedium than small fine sponges with small holes, but there's not very much difference. And with their small holes, fine sponges are better at trapping debris.
Though both are the type that lets water flow through. It's sponges like car washing sponges that hold water.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »
Did you also know that synthetic sponges come in two types? There are those that soak up water and hold it and those that allow water to run through them. For use in a filter, it has to be the last type. If you want to use cheap sponges rather than expensive aquarium ones, not only do you have to make sure the sponge hasn't been impregnated with some sort of cleaning chemical, you also have to make sure it's the right type.

I seem to be in dictionary mode at the moment.  If you are looking for generic sponges, the technical term(s) for the type of sponge that Sue is describing is reticulated sponge.  Although sometimes it is called Open Cell sponge.  If you google either of those terms, you should find oodles of entries.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »
Oodles not Noodles lol. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
Thank you for the correct terms Steve. Now that you mention it, the term open cell does sound familiar though I don't think I've ever heard the term reticulated used in this context.

I'll make a  note of them  :D

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
I re-positioned a couple of my filters, the reason being they were tight up in the corner of the tank and only one side was exposed to the water intake where as the other was tight against the glass.
I know eventually the bacteria will populate that side but I thought by having the water to gain access to both sides it would be more beneficial.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
With reference to my above post, when I moved the filter I noticed the sponge on the side that was against the glass was very clean, it may have had beneficial bacteria on it but compared with the exposed side there was a big difference, so I'm thinking I did the right thing by moving it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Live Bacteria"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 11:42:28 PM
by Natasha
2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 01:53:01 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 09:34:01 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 08:45:41 AM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2017, 06:08:25 PM
by togtaff
7 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 06:47:51 PM
by Hampalong
7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2021, 05:56:03 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: