Live Bacteria

Author Topic: Live Bacteria  (Read 16405 times) 48 replies

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
Re: Live Bacteria
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm new to this forum so Hello.  I was interested in the topic of Bacteria as I recently did a little experiment myself only to find out I was wasting my time.
What I did was Froze some established bacteria for just over a week then put it in a test tank to see if it would still be active once thawed out, well it wasn't.  I did more research and found an interesting article about the temperature ranges of bacteria to thrive and anything below 64f/18c the growth rate reduces by 50% and dies at 32f/0c and above 120f/49c it dies.

I read the comments above about Dr Timothy Hovanec and this obviously made me look more at his work, on another forum someone sent me this link:  http://goo.gl/y3yEU  be warned it is a long audio of one of his talks and I found it very interesting as I'm sure a few here will.

One thing he said during the talk and this is where I got a bit worried, he talked more on Coral type systems but he did say something about having zero Nitrates.  Noe recently I got my tanks to register using liquid test kits 0-Ammonia, 0-Nitrite and 0-Nitrate.  I thought the Nitrate was odd so I did more searching and I found threads on other forums where some said it was wrong and some said the system must be exceptional clean.
Now going back the what Timothy's talk he said if Nitrates are 0 then it is very rare and something is about to crash, at least that is what I understood him to say so now I'm worried.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Col.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
Hi Col, I've been following your thread in the scientific section of 'another forum'  ;D I'm essjay on there. To be totally honest with you, I haven't read it recently with all the problems with google, I've almost given up trying to get on that site.

My understanding is that a nitrate of zero is unusual in a freshwater tank, though it is something marine tank keepers strive for - though not being into marine tanks, I'm not 100% sure that's correct.
In a freshwater tank with a mature filter, nitrate is constantly being produced. Plants will remove it, but you have to have a lot of plants to remove all of it. I think what the comment about zero nitrate being rare and something is about to crash means that if the nitrate is zero, it must not be being made therefore something is wrong nearer the beginning of the nitrogen cycle - maybe all the ammonia or nitrite eaters have died.
I did wonder what "exceptionally clean" means - even if every scrap of waste is removed, nitrate would still be produced so they can't have meant that. I suppose if you did very regular, very large water changes with zero nitrate water it would be possible to keep the tank at zero, but that would be a lot of hard work.

I see from the rival site that you have zero tap nitrate and are heavily planted, so in theory for you a tank nitrate of zero is possible. I'm not very good with plants (on the old Thinkfish forum I was famous for being able to kill duckweed  ;D ) so I'm not sure what the implications of zero nitrate are for plants.
If you are worried about the implications of your tank nitrate ("something is about to crash") then checking your ammonia and nitrite on a regular, ie daily, basis should reassure you that if something is going wrong you'll catch it straight away. As for the plants needing nitrate, I'll have to leave that for someone more green fingered to answer.

One thing I will say - my son worked for several years for a water testing company and he is highly amused at us trying to accurately measure nitrate with a home testing kit. The company he worked for used very expensive lab equipment to measure nitrate. He reckoned our kits are incapable of giving a result anywhere near accurate.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »
Hi Sue, pleased to meet you, though we have met before lol.

My tank/s are not heavily planted, I too have problems with them, I have a skill of killing plastic plants (joking).
I do have a few in my tanks but some are falling apart, I recently took a couple out in fact.

I am not well up on marine systems so Timothy's remarks might have been more directed to those.

Just for the sake of anyone reading this thread, I did the freezing test hoping to keep mature bacteria for a later date or to help someone setup a new tank rather than the posts we read of cycling problems and more so fish deaths.

On the subject of Timothy Hovanec (Dr Timms) I ordered some of his 'One and Only' formula that supposed to be an instant tank start, it hasn't arrived yet as it is coming from the USA, so obviously I'll keep you updated.
The thing is with this guy, listening to him talk and all the letters and credentials after his name he isn't a crank so that makes me interested.

Col.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
Hi Col,

If you have very low nitrates in your tap water, I would suggest that this might be why you are having problems with live plants.

I have quite a heavily planted tank, and every time I have measured my tap water, it has always had <5ppm nitrates. Not zero, but definitely not as pink as the lowest reading on my test set (which is a liquid one).

I was really struggling with my plants, including things like amazon swords which are supposed to be good starter plants. After doing quite a bit of research and some long conversations with Natalia on the old board, I started adding nitrate to my tank at water change. And it makes an enormous difference. There is a photo of my tank in the gallery, so you can see how healthy the plants now look. It does feel very strange to add nitrate when most people do water changes to remove nitrates!

I think that if you have low nitrates in the tap water, you would probably need a heavily stocked tank to go with a heavily planted tank to avoid having to add nitrates. If you think about garden plant fertilisers being PKN (potassium, phosphate and nitrogen), it makes sense that you need these in the right proportions for aquarium plants to thrive.

Apologies if you weren't looking for a plant answer to this post!  :)

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »
Hello Helen,  No need for apology, I like to discuss all kinds of things like this.
Just recently I started to collect rainwater, in testing that the Nitrate = 0 but I'm slightly puzzled with the PH, with the API test there are 2 types of PH test, the normal one reads PH = 6 but the PH high test reads PH = 7 which is still fairly soft.
I don't fully understand why there is 2 types of PH, can you or anybody else enlighten me please?

The PH is also related to bacteria growth as well I recently discovered, in low PH water it slows down from what I understand,  I never realised how important PH is in all this.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 04:59:01 AM »
Zero nitrate in rainwater isn't surprising as the main source of nitrate in the water supply comes from run-off from farmland washing away the fertiliser.

The reason for two pH tests in the test kit is that the reagants they use are sensitive to different ranges of pH.  You should choose the one that comes out more central in its range.

By the way don't confuse pH, a measure of the acidity or alkalinity of the water with hardness or softness.  They are usually related, but note the terms usually and related.  If you wish to measure the hardness of your water, there are tests available to do so, but API don't include one in their master test kits.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
Just to add to what Steve said, if the pH on the lower range tester is 6.0, it could be even lower than that. This tester can only measure down to 6.0; it uses the lowest colour for anything below 6.0. Similarly, at the top end, anything above 7.6 shows the 7.6 colour. With the high range tester, anything below 7.4 shows as 7.4, so 6.0 would still show as 7.4.

Just a heads up about rainwater -
If you live in/near industry (or even a motorway!) rainwater could well have pollutants from the air dissolved in it.
And like RO water, rainwater has no minerals in it; they have to be added by either mixing with tapwater or by adding remineralisation salts.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
Thanks again for the replies.  This water thing sure is interesting, I heard about rainwater collecting pollutants but never thought how much or how serious it could be.

I'm not arguing just discussing, but how do small ponds or even garden ponds cope after a heavy rainfall especially those close to motorways or near industrial areas, does the water already in the pond neutralise it or something?

So now the use of rainwater is out, I was thinking it was more pure than the tap water but it seems I'm wrong.

I have seen test kits for things like Phosphates and other minerals but never bothered with them, in one way I'm afraid to start looking because I would get bogged down with even more things to worry about, I am trying not to add chemicals as much as possible that is why I looked at rainwater instead of the chemically treated tap water but it looks like I will have to revert back to it.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 12:07:57 AM »
The important thing with plants is getting the balance of all the minerals and light correct. The plants will only grow as fast as teh 'lowest' ingredient. In my tank that was CO2 then nitrates. you could keep ln topping up the limiting ingredient, but it starts to get expensive and time consuming - not least in pruning the plants. Where you stop is entirely down to personal preference. The othe minerals I can test for, and occaisionally do if something changes and I get a plant or algae problem are calcium, iron and phosphate. Usually just testing for nitrates, pH and hardness gives me enough information to know whether something is starting to go wrong.

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
I also think knowing the plants is like knowing the fish.  I have gone in the fish shop, looked at plants and thought, 'Oh they look nice' but after a week they loose their leaves or just slowly die off.
They may for all I know be delicate and only like a certain type of water, I've read posts where people have given up on plants and go for plastic.
Some of the reasons are as you mentioned, some put them in the wrong type of substrate, or near fast flowing water and any other reasons.

We learn eventually or from research what fish are compatible with each or or certain types of water but a lot never bother to research the plants, and I will admit I am/have been guilty of it myself.

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »
The problem with plants is made worse by the fact that a lot of plants sold for aquariums are not aquatic. You'll see dracenas and bamboo sold for tanks, and even spider plants, to name but three.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »
I agree with both those comments. And have to admit, that I put as much effort into looking after the plants in my tank as I do the fish. Which also means that I don't buy anything without having first researched it, so I know whether it is compatible with what I already have. Soft water, low light, hardness etc

There are also other more in depth topics regarding plant compatibility. There is the (often disputed) idea that some plants give off chemicals that affect the growth of other plants. The most significant incompatible combination for beginners' plants is cryptocornes and amazon swords. I can't remember which way round it is, but one stops the other growing. And, I'm sorry, but I also can't remember the term for this phenomenon.

I actually have both in my tank, and they now grow quite successfully together. To the extent that I am starting to uproot baby crypts because they are spreading so prolifically. So far the amazon swords haven't been affected by being surrounded by crypts!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »
mmm - I'm growing Crypts and Swords and they seem OK. I dose with fertiliser when I remember and they've got grow tabs under them. I've never heard they won't grow together before - I'd better 'wait'n'see'.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »
... There is the (often disputed) idea that some plants give off chemicals that affect the growth of other plants. The most significant incompatible combination for beginners' plants is cryptocornes and amazon swords. I can't remember which way round it is, but one stops the other growing. And, I'm sorry, but I also can't remember the term for this phenomenon.
The term is allelopathy.  It is usually mentioned in respect of algae control.  I hadn't heard about the example you gave but...

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »
OK another question regarding bacteria:

I know to add Ammonia to start the fishless cycle, but I/we have read where some have said if they can't get Ammonia to add a pinch of fish food.
So this got me thinking, what is it in fish food that causes Ammonia, is it after it decays it lets off Ammonia?

Then I thought would some other kind of food create the same thing, why does it have to be fish food, I'm wondering if there is anything better?

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
Quick biochemistry lesson  :D

Proteins are made up of chains of thousands of amino acids. Amino acids contain nitrogen, general formula is NH2.CHR.COOH where R is a side group; it's the exact nature of R that makes the various amino acids different from each other. When living things metabolise proteins, they turn them into CO2, H2O and a nitrogenous waste. The exact nitrogenous waste depends on the animal. Mammals turn it into urea, which we dissolve in water as urine. Birds make uric acid which they excrete as a solid (birds only 'poo' they don't 'wee'; thank goodness, bird droppings are bad enough without them dropping liquid on us as well). Animals like fish which live in water can make the simplest nitrogenous waste, ammonia. It takes less energy to make and it can be removed from the body straight from the gills. Other aquarium creature like shrimps and snails also make ammonia as their waste.

But proteins also get turned into simpler nitrogenous compounds when they decompose. Fish food contains protein, and micro-organisms in the water turn this protein into ammonia, amongst other things. This is why fishfood can be used for cycling, and to keep a cycled filter alive if there are no fish in the tank. If you put fishfood in a tank it'll end up as ammonia whether it is processed by fish or by micro-organisms. Another favourite for cycling is dead prawns, the kind you eat. This does end up very smelly and the prawns go slimy which is why it's recommended to put them in a mesh bag like the foot of a pair of tights - makes it easier to remove the slime.

The only reason that ammonia is prefered for fishless cycling is that you can measure the exact amount of ammonia you are adding. With fish food or prawns, because they have to decompose you don't know exactly how much ammonia is going into the water. So you don't know if you have grown enough bacteria to support the addition of you all your proposed fish at the end of the cycle.

TigzFish

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »
if they can't get Ammonia

You won't have any bother getting a bottle of ammonia in the UK.  You will find it freely available in supermarkets and DIY stores (like Homebase) in the household cleaners section.  Plain bottle, no frills, it is sold in the UK in diluted form (9.5% in 500ml).  It worked brilliantly in my own fishless cycle earlier this year.

Decomposing food is a source of ammonia, but I know I would not want to leave food to decay in a tank.  Using a measure of ammonia gives instant and largely controllable results, a much better option than waiting for food to decay IMO.

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
There is that. I'm not sure I'd want to be removing disgusting, half decompsed fish food or, even worse, prawns on a regular basis.

Though to play devil's advocate, there is a school of thought that using fish food grows all the other micro-organisms a mature tank needs faster than ammonia solution  ;D

Offline ColR1948

• Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »
Thanks, I did know you can get pure Ammonia I was asking more about doing it by adding fish food just for interest and curiosity more than anything else.
This is why I asked if another type of food would work, but as you say it contains proteins etc, I did read that by crumbling the fish food up it is better than just adding it as flakes because the flakes can rot in to a fungus which is not suitable.

On a side issue I also read which I never gave thought to, packing filter media in too tight is also not recommended, it is best to be more open so to speak so the air can pass through it thus helping the bacteria to grow.  I think I did pack some in a small filter I have in a 20 liter tank which I'm about to check after I posted this lol.

TigzFish

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 05:24:09 PM »
Though to play devil's advocate, there is a school of thought that using fish food grows all the other micro-organisms a mature tank needs faster than ammonia solution

;D Now there's something I hadn't thought of.  Learn something new every day here.  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Live Bacteria"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 11:42:28 PM
by Natasha
2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 01:53:01 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 09:34:01 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 08:45:41 AM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2017, 06:08:25 PM
by togtaff
7 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 06:47:51 PM
by Hampalong
7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2021, 05:56:03 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: