List Of Fish Suitable For High PH And Hard Water

Author Topic: List of fish suitable for high pH and hard water  (Read 73199 times) 26 replies

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
List of fish suitable for high pH and hard water
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I have been keeping fish for a few years, but to my shame only realised quite recently the importance of keeping fish in water that suits them. This explains my lack of success with neon tetras in the past :-\ - Hertfordshire tap water rocks (pH 8.1, KH 14, GH 19)!  Yes, it's well hard  8).

As I'm about to upgrade to much larger tank (from a 90 to a 240 L) , and will be a able to stock some additional fish, I decided to do some research on what fish would be happy in my new ultra-hard water tank. Well, the good news is that there are many more fishes out there than you might expect.

Please note this is NOT a complete list of all species suitable for hard/high pH water. It is simply a list of fish that fit the specific requirements for my new tank:

1. No fish bigger than 12 cm
2. Community fish only - you'll find no cichlids here!
3. Suitable for both high pH and high GH (with a couple of borderline exceptions, e.g congo tetra)
4. Suitable for 240 L / 120 cm long tank
5. No livebearers (except platy and wrestling halfbeak - I've enough difficulty keeping my existing platy population under control!)
6. No goldfish

Whilst doing my research I found lots of forum posts of fellow-fishkeepers asking for stocking advice for hard water/high pH aquariums, but not a great many recommendations (the notable exceptions being two articles by Neale Monks on wetwebmedia). I therefore hope that this list is of some use to others.

Most information has been drawn from seriouslyfish, with additions from a few other websites.

My own spreadsheet contains a lot more information then just common and scientific name, but I don't know how to copy/insert a table. If someone can give me some guidance than I'd be more than happy to post the full spreadsheet. 
Happy reading :-)

Platy    Xiphophorus maculatus
Celebes Rainbowfish   Marosatheria ladigesi
McCulloch's rainbowfish   Melanotaenia maccullochi
Threadfin rainbowfish       Iriatherina werneri
Neon dwarf rainbowfish   Melanotaenia praecox
New Guinea rainbowfish   Melanotaenia affinis
Lake Kutubu rainbowfish   Melanotaenia lacutris
Boesmani rainbowfish   Melanotaenia boesemani
Australian rainbowfish   Melanotaenia fluviatilis
Forktail blue-eye   Pseudomugil furcatus
Neon blue-eye   Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis
Popondetta blue-eye   Pseudomugil connieae
X-ray tetra   Pristella maxillaris
Congo tetra   Phenamogrammus interruptus
Black widow tetra   Gymnocorymbus ternetzi
False penguin tetra   Thayeria boehlkei
Red - eye tetra   Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae
Glass bloodfin tetra   Prionobrama filigera
Florida flagfish   Jordanella floridae
Odessa barb   Pethia padamya
Cherry barb   Puntius titteya
Rosy barb   Pethia conchonius
Golden barb   Barbodes semifasciolatus
Indian glassfish   Parambassis ranga
Inlecypris auropurpurea   Inlecypris auropurpurea
Emerald dwarf rasbora   Celestichthys erythromicron
Red dwarf rasbora   Microrasbora rubescens
Asian rummynose   Sawbwa resplendens
Wrestling halfbeak   Dermogenys pusilla
Zebra danio   Brachydanio rerio
Glowlight Danio   Danio choprae (Celestichtys choprae)
Pearl danio   Brachydanio albolineatus
Inle Loach   Petruichthys brevis
Dwarf lake synodontis   Synodontis petricolaa
White cloud mountain minnow   Tanichthys albonubes
Paradise fish   Macropodus operculis
Puntius snyderi   Puntius snyderi
Empire gudgeon   Hypseleotris compressa

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: List of fish suitable for high pH and hard water
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
Wait 'til Littlefish sees this - she'll have to move into a mansion to accommodate more tanks to house this range...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:15:36 PM »
  :rotfl:
Mansion, ha, I wish.  ;D
I do have some of the fish on the list, and I'm aware of ones like the Empire Gudgeon and a few of the others.
It just goes to show, whatever water you have, there is a huge range of fish suitable.............and that you'll never have enough space for all the fish you want.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:48:47 PM »
Absolutely, plenty of interesting fish - even for hard water. I'm having great  difficulty deciding which ones I might want. Really must go and see some of these fish in the fin... er flesh  :))

Platy (4) - Platy (10) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Cardinal Tetra (8) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Congo Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »
Some of them will look even better when you see them, or they will have an unusual way of moving that may be attractive, so it's always worth having a look.  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
You can add these to the list too:
Dwarf Puffers
Sparkling Gourami
Croaking Gourami
Bumblebee Goby
White Tipped Tetra

:)

Interestingly I've also found some Bolivian Rams in a shop that have been bred in hard water.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »
Goby are so cute. They have lovely faces.
Apparently Rhinogobius zhoui and Rhinogobius duospilus are suitable for hard water. I was looking at the second one (white cheek goby) for the river tank because it's fine in lower temperatures and needs high O2.
 :cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
Stiphs also like hard water fish, I have a Orange-fin Stiphodon and a male and 3 females which I never identified

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »
You can add these to the list too:
Dwarf Puffers
Sparkling Gourami
Croaking Gourami
Bumblebee Goby
White Tipped Tetra

I've always believed that gourami prefer soft water?  I currently have sparkling gourami in my softwater tank, and previously have kept honey gourami though they quickly became ill, I hope I'm not about to make the same mistake twice??  :vcross:

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
I dunno @Matt but I know kribs do well.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
Using Fishbase as my source:
Trichopsis pumila and T Vitatta (sparkling and croaking gouramis) = 5 - 19 German deg
Trichopsis schalleri = unknown - 12 German deg (that is, they don't know the minimum hardness for this species)

That converts to 90 to 340 ppm and unknown to 215 ppm.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »
I too suffer the trials and tribulations of Hertfordshire liquid rock which passes for water here and my sparklers and my croaking gouramis are thriving so you could keep those. Out of the two I think I prefer the croakers, they're much prettier.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 08:40:15 PM »
Goby and Stiphodons suitable for hard water - awesome. There are often a few of each family of fish that are suitable for harder water, which is great.
Again, stiph have the most adorable little faces. I don't know what it is about fish of that shape, but they are adorable.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I like the shape of stiphs :)

Oh one thing about bumblebee gobies we discovered the hard way, they need plenty of room as they're quite territorial and squabble a lot, also males get very aggressive when they're guarding eggs and will actually kill another bumble if they get too close.

Indian Glassfish tend to be happier in dimly lit tanks, due to their large googly eyes no doubt. Beware of artificially coloured fish. I've only found 1 shop that stocks them in their natural form.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »
According to seriouslyfish most the fish you mention are just below pH8 and dH 19, so technically not allowed in my list  :D It's great to hear they are thriving in Hertfordshire liquid rock - it gIves me hope.

I'd not come across stiphodon before - how cute!

A while ago I saw bumblebee gobies at Chiltern Aquatics and they were very cute too, but I read they prefer slightly brackish water, so left them off my list?

Re Indian glassfish - I have read about the practice injecting them with dye - how horrible. They're not hugely high on my stocking  list and definitely a fish I'd like to see in the fin first.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 09:07:52 PM »
Are there any corys that work in hard water? I have hard water and kept some Julii (or what the fish shop called Julii) and they did really well until I put some pandas in there at which point ALL the corys just died.
I love corys but don't want my doe-eyed adoration to become something sinister... and cruel... :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
Cories as a group are generally considered to be soft water fish but there could be some species that would be OK in harder water.

The simplest thing is to direct you to Seriously Fish and for you to look at each species to see if any of them can cope in the hardness of your water.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
If it's any help, I have pepper cory in my temperate tanks, and panda cory in my betta tank.
I found conflicting information across several sites, some said that these fish would be comfortable in very hard water, some sites saying only up to 12oH (my water is 17). I decided to give them a go anyway, they all seem fine and they are all adorable additions to the tanks.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
A while ago I saw bumblebee gobies at Chiltern Aquatics and they were very cute too, but I read they prefer slightly brackish water, so left them off my list?

Re Indian glassfish - I have read about the practice injecting them with dye - how horrible. They're not hugely high on my stocking  list and definitely a fish I'd like to see in the fin first.

The brackish water only is a bit of a myth, I read somewhere it was generated when some bumbles were found in brackish water (estuaries and tidal plains) and some shops won't stock them because of it but they are a quite widely distributed species and the same species can be found in fresh and brackish water. Ours actually spawned but the ensuing 'family' massacre that followed in a very short period of time scarred me for life, so if you are going to keep them make sure you have a big enough tank, the floor space being more important than literage. As new fishkeepers we had them in a 55l 60x40x40 tank  :-[ we thought it was big enough and learned the hard way it wasn't.

There are some really beautiful species of glassfish but they are hard to find in shops. I found Parambassis ranga to be unsuitable in a tank with smaller fish regardless of the fact they are labelled as peaceful community fish, they don't have those big mouths for nothing. I had to rehome mine.

Offline Mascol

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 10:12:22 PM »
Re corys for hard water - from what I read the bronze cory is the most suited to harder water. According to seriously fish it's ok in 6.0-8.0Ph and GH up to 15dH.

Fiona, I'm not sure you're selling bumblebee gobies and Indian glass fish to me .... ;D

It sounds as if my 120 x 40 tank would be big enough for some bumblebee gobies, although I'd like to avoid and massacring of any family.

I definitely don't want any fish that are known to have other fish for lunch. A while ago I had a BN that seemed quite dominant. Soon after getting this pleco there was a small spate of fish death. The BN was returned to the LFS after I'd caught it snacking on the remains of a couple of tankmates :-/

On the interweb I came across a smaller glass fish - Parambassis lala - and the only reason for not putting it on my list was laziness.... It only grows to half the size of P. range, but I understand they do sold under the wrong names sometimes.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "List of fish suitable for high pH and hard water"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
8 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
by Loubaa
1 Replies
Last post September 19, 2014, 02:11:09 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 06:43:43 PM
by Diz1
20 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 04:28:38 PM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: