List Of Fish Suitable For High PH And Hard Water

Author Topic: List of fish suitable for high pH and hard water  (Read 73431 times) 26 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: List of fish suitable for high pH and hard water
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 10:01:42 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Your tank would be plenty big enough for bumbles, we currently have 3 in a 3ft tank and we're hoping for 3 more, getting them isnt easy though. MA ordered 6 for me but 4 didn't make the import journey, I bought the surviving 2 and they've settled in nicely and have coloured up beautifully, you can see from the list in my footnote what they're currently living with.

As to cories I have salt and peppered in my 200l which wiffle about and pygmy cories in a 55l as well as some in with the puffers et al. My pygmies are breeding like rabbits so I can only assume they're very happy in my water.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:54 PM »
Interesting that your having such success with the pygmy cories, as I know others on here have had them in the past and had them die off suddenly/quickly.  Can I ask what you 'do' @Fiona in terms of feeding, temperature.... to keep yours so.... rabbit like?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 08:19:30 PM »
Interesting that your having such success with the pygmy cories, as I know others on here have had them in the past and had them die off suddenly/quickly.  Can I ask what you 'do' @Fiona in terms of feeding, temperature.... to keep yours so.... rabbit like?
Indeed. Also, @Fiona, I'd be interested to be reminded of exactly how old they are now, and how many of each that you have in each of the 2 tanks that they're in?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 10:04:19 PM »
@fcmf and @Matt

Don't forget Sue had pygmy fry as well in her tank.

I have no idea how old the fish were my son bought, he wasnt selective and just bought 10 however they got fished out. They're all still alive in his tank with the puffers, bumbles and otos, they do display mating behaviour at times but its his tank, so the care is up to him and I don't look for eggs. A mature tank, white sand, gravel, planted pebbles and bogwood and more plants (although not heavily planted), temp 25C. When they first got added there was a huge issue with brown algae and detritus worms which the pygmies scoffed. I doubt eggs and fry in this tank would reach maturity because of the puffer patrols. He adds bits of catfish pellets every day which the pygmies and otos eat and live foods every few days. His pygmies are a lot less active than mine. The nitrates in my son's tank are hideous at plus 50 and a source of constant irritation to me.

I actually selected my pygmies so I had 2 I suspected were adult females because of their size and shape by comparison to the rest of the fish in the tank, the rest were little ones about 1cm. They got added to a mature shrimpery which I dose daily with Bacter AE, twice weekly with Beta-Glucans and Mironekuton deep sea minerals, also once a week with Easy Life Ferro for the red plants. Dark substrate 1-2mm width stones, soil substrate. Bogwood planted with java ferns, black pebbles with anubias, rock with bolbitis, java moss clump,  vallis, hygrophila, green cabomba, alternanthera rosaefolia and a green grass for the foreground whose name I lost planted in the substrate and floating frogbit. Nitrates are 20ppm, pH 7.5, temp 23-22C, I always add cooler water. I lift the lid so the light isn't too bright. I had problems with detritus worms before I added them which has gone now, they eat what I feed the shrimps plus bloodworms x2 a week. Oh I don't hoover the gravel either, I just top up with water. This tank has a sponge filter.

That's it but if they can live in my son's tank they can live anywhere. Also you don't know how old they are when you buy them, even the shop doesn't know and as they're generally live caught or tank bred I doubt the supplier does either, which is why I bought the differing sizes.

Blimey probably my longest post ever!

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 02:09:42 PM »
My pygmy cories bred at the same time I was having problems with shrimps. I had two 3 inch diameter spherical plastic plants in the tank at the time and this seems to be where the cories laid their eggs. When I finally had baby shrimps survive in the quarantine tank I put one of the plants in the QT and swapped it over every week with the one left in the 50 litre. I kept finding newly hatched cories and when they were big enough they went into the 50 litre. Though I have to say that the majority of the fry died.
Looking back at this thread it was back in August 2013. However, most of the pygmy cories died during 2014 leaving me with the two I still have. I have no idea whether these were two I bought or were hatched in the QT.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »
Hi
New to this , my ph is between 7.5-7.6 is this considered high ?
On the colour scale I have 7.6 is the highest in a darkest blue , mine is not quite dark blue but is near to it .
Ally

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 05:21:33 PM »
It is highish, but hardness is more important than pH. I have a pH almost as high but softish water so I can keep soft water fish better than hard water fish.

Have a look on your water company's website, hardness should be on there somewhere. There are several units they could use, but fishkeeping websites use just two. If you find your hardness, report back with what they say, including units, and we can convert them to the ones fishkeeping sites use.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "List of fish suitable for high pH and hard water"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
8 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 05:09:18 PM
by Loubaa
1 Replies
Last post September 19, 2014, 02:11:09 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 06:43:43 PM
by Diz1
20 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 04:28:38 PM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: