Larger Tank

Author Topic: Larger tank  (Read 3576 times) 8 replies

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Larger tank
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
We have a small tank so far, and we are really enjoying our fish.  But I can't help but wish we'd bought a bigger one.

Anyhow.  I think I'd like to start thinking about that second bigger tank.  I think I'd keep the smaller tank either in my bedroom, or maybe as a quarantine tank?

But I'm wondering what I should think about for a bigger tank.  I want to get it right, and not wish I'd got something bigger, or smaller or whatever.  I like the look of the corner tanks, and they'd fit quite nicely in my front room.  But I'm guessing that because of the shape of them, that might limit me to fish that went too big and don't like to swim fast?   I also like the bow fronted tanks - anything I should know about them?

What sort of minimum litres and length should I be looking at to maximise my choice of fish and plants?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Larger tank
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Corner tanks have a much smaller volume relative to their length at the front than rectangular ones which greatly restricts the fish you can keep in them. They are also expensive relative to capacity.

Bow-fronted tanks are OK, but again they seem to be expensive compared to standard ones of the same size. I guess it depends on how fussy you are about looks.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
I have read comments that bow fronted tanks can distort the view of the inhabitants. Of course this does depend on just how curved the front wall is.

One other thing for you to take into consideration. The bigger the tank, the taller it tends to be. This is the reason I got a custom built tank rather than an off the peg tank as they were too tall for me to reach into to clean it - I'm 5 ft 5 in with short arms  :) Check the height of the tank plus stand if this would affect you. My 6 foot daughter in law would have no problems  ;D

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:39:02 PM »
I think that it is quite difficult to advise on what would constitute a good tank for someone else. Just as if you told me you wanted a car that can seat four adults comfortably I could ask a hundred other questions to try and narrow down the field, the same can be said for tanks.

One way of looking at is, is there a particular type of fish you would really like to house? That way you can check the minimum tank size on Seriously Fish or on here and work from there. You'll also be constrained by budget and the size that can fit in your room.

Corner tanks do have their drawbacks, but they do fit well in most rooms. I also like the look of bowfronted tanks, but again Sue and Richard point out the downsides.

My biggest constraint is finding a larger tank that my wife will let me buy. I have an aquanano 40 and she thinks its huge, and I suppose it is compared to bowl she used to keep goldfish in.

If I were to buy a larger tank (unhindered by the better half) I would work out what size tank I could fit in the space I want to fill and then scope out some models that fit the bill. I would then keep my eyes peeled on Gumtree and eBay for the best deal I can find. The more money you can save on the tank the more money you can spend kitting it out. Filters, lights, substrate, plants, décor, etc. all cost money and the more you can save on the tank, the more easy it is to justify spending on the other bits and bobs!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:16 PM »
Great advice in the above posts.

I think, whatever size of tank you have, you'll always wish it were bigger - or that you want/need another tank.  I have a 60cm-length tank but often find myself being tempted by fish whose requirements turn out to be a bit beyond this when I check them on the Fish Profiles section on here (whereas I don't even look at those which are much bigger). So, while I might say 80+ cm is a good length of tank as it opens up many more options, I'm quite sure that if I had one that size, I'd start being tempted by other fish whose requirements are a bit beyond that.  Therefore, I'd go with the biggest that you can fit in.

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 09:57:31 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have an idea where it would go, so I'll measure that space.

I never even thought about the height thing, but that's a good point.  I'm only 4'11", so I'll probably have to put it on the floor if I want to reach!!  :))

Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Fiveband Barb (6) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (5) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Zebra Danio (8) - Axelrods Rasbora (12) - Harlequin Rasbora (4) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Neon Tetra (4) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:15:43 AM »
It has been suggested that I stand on a stool to do water changes, but knowing me I'd either fall in the tank or fall off the stool  ;D

Offline RachelN76

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
That was my next thought.  But actually, me and hubby usually do the water changes together, it seems a bit easier with two people.  I'm in charge of the suction thingy, he's in charge of the bucket!

So I could just stand on the step and suction, and give directions, while he runs around with buckets of water!  Sounds Ok to me!

Offline Thor God Of Thunder

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »
Great advice in the above posts.

I think, whatever size of tank you have, you'll always wish it were bigger - or that you want/need another tank.  I have a 60cm-length tank but often find myself being tempted by fish whose requirements turn out to be a bit beyond this when I check them on the Fish Profiles section on here (whereas I don't even look at those which are much bigger). So, while I might say 80+ cm is a good length of tank as it opens up many more options, I'm quite sure that if I had one that size, I'd start being tempted by other fish whose requirements are a bit beyond that.  Therefore, I'd go with the biggest that you can fit in.

omg this is so true, I don't even have fish yet, yet when I use the profile thing on here i find myself wishing I'd gone bigger.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Larger tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 01:13:39 PM
by Aquamaid
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
10 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 09:12:05 PM
by sharpandroid
39 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: