Keeping The Lights On?

Author Topic: Keeping the lights on?  (Read 3962 times) 7 replies

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
Keeping the lights on?
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello

Early on in our tank cycling we had the lights on from 08:00 to 22:00.  Yes, why you ask when there's nothing but empty tank to see!  Anyway after a while we got a little green patch on top of the pile of "stone" caves we have that got bigger and deeper green over time.  This I scrubbed off with a brand new nail brush in tank water during a water change.  It got me out on the net to find out what had caused the algal growth in the first place (we have no live plants).  Seems one of the causes was having the lights on too long so I cut it down to 6 hours in the afternoon / evening, 14:00 to 20:00.  The algae came back, I guess because once you get it no amount of scrubbing will get rid of it all.  It isn't so noticeable as before so I'm thinking that the reduced hours has had an effect, plus tank cycling and water changes has reduced the NO3 level a bit.
I have, as usual, been overloaded with topics here and elsewhere concerning when and how long to leave aquarium lights on.  Some say as short a time as possible, 3 - 4 hours once a day.  Others say they have lights on a couple of times during the day.

I understand you need lights if you've got live plants, but do fish require more light than they would get from natural light within a room during daylight hours and normal electric lighting at night?  Is aquarium light only required for human benefit, in that we like to be able to show off our prize possessions?

My daughter and grandson have a small 20L tank with just a couple of small fish in it.  They, the fish not the daughter / grandson, don't like much additional light at all from what they get in their well-lit natural lit kitchen.  It looks like if the tank lights are on (a mixture of white and blue LEDs) the fish start to get a bit nervy.  Under just the blue light they go hyper.

I've seen elsewhere, comments about fish not tolerating additional lighting.  However, at any LFS they seem to have artificial tank lighting on solid during opening hours.  I haven't has yet done any sneaking around out of hours but I suspect they're switched off at night.

We have our lights on a timer that can set any time and duration we might want in 10 minute intervals.  The only downside we have is that when the lights come on they're at full strength after <30 seconds.  The intensity of the lights can be set a four levels + off for white and 2 levels + off for blue.  From a human point of view, we think that 1 white + 2 blue gives a nice effect.  What fish might think of this remains to be seen.  Ideally I would have liked both sets of lights to come on at the level they were when the timer switched them off.

Does anyone have their thoughts on how much, how long for and when we should be using the lighting?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Keeping the lights on?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:09:47 AM »
I'd go for between 8 and 10 hours of total lighting period within a day.  the theory behind splitting the lighting period in two is to allow us to observe the tanks during the working week partly but more importantly to help with plant growth.  Plants use carbox dioxide dissolved in the water which the fish produce and they will run out aafter approx 4-5 hours is the theory so if you have then got a couple of hours of no lighting, the plants will stop using carbon dioxide and allow it to build up again for a second 4-5 your growing period.  the real truth is a little more complicated than this (plants can release co2 and co2 will also exchange into and out of the tank/atmosphere via the waters surface...) but the idea remains absolutely sound and correct.

Algea grows for a variety of reasons which in turn cause a variety of different algae types to grow but in summary it is due to a loss of 'balance' in the aquarium.  Such as the lighting or NO3 as you have mentioned.  As these things settle down once your tank is cycled you may find that things start to improve in relation to algae growth.  Regardless of this, if you can identify the type of algae there are plenty of guides on the web as to what algae grows under which circumstances (e.g. too much light) this allowing you alter that factor to achieve a better 'balance'.

As to the blue lighting, many keepers find a little blue light improves the overall appearance. Its the same with a red tinted light too.  The oh and you are also right that the fish themselves don't 'need' the light as such.  the blue light is offer used at the end of the day to simulte moon lighting and to help essentially provide a more natural lighting cycle to the day though the amount of truth in this is very much debatable...

Does this help answer your questions?

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
Matt

Yes, your reply has helped.

We don't have any live plants so the plant growth issues don't apply, unless we get some later on.  We've a couple of thoughts about introducing one or two that you can get already growing on bog wood.  Too many other variables to contend with at the moment for us Newbies.

All the other advice in your reply is relevant and confirms my suspicion that the lights are for our benefit not really the fish.

Thanks

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »
Fast growing plants will limit algae growth by using up excess nutrients in the tank before the algae can. If you want to limit algae and make the fish feel more comfortable, I'd recommend adding some floating plants (frogbit, duckweed, red root, etc). They will use up excess nitrates in the tank, reduce light levels and make an interesting addition to the tank. They don't require CO2 dosing of the tank as they get it from the air.

I hope this makes sense as I'm on my 4th glass of wine!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 09:43:02 AM »
I understand you need lights if you've got live plants, but do fish require more light than they would get from natural light within a room during daylight hours and normal electric lighting at night?  Is aquarium light only required for human benefit, in that we like to be able to show off our prize possessions?

My daughter and grandson have a small 20L tank with just a couple of small fish in it.  They, the fish not the daughter / grandson, don't like much additional light at all from what they get in their well-lit natural lit kitchen.  It looks like if the tank lights are on (a mixture of white and blue LEDs) the fish start to get a bit nervy.  Under just the blue light they go hyper.

I've seen elsewhere, comments about fish not tolerating additional lighting. 

Does anyone have their thoughts on how much, how long for and when we should be using the lighting?

In answer to the specific parts of your post quoted above, I kept goldfish for many years without a light as the reaction to putting a light on completely unnerved one of the fish, and I reckoned that he was big, brightly coloured and sufficiently stunning in his own right not to require lighting. When it came to tropical fish, which are a lot smaller than goldfish and thus harder to see, I intended to use lighting but my x-ray tetras were so unnerved by any attempt to put the light on that I gave up. 1.75 years down the line, I decided to make some changes to the tank http://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/possible-changes-to-the-tank-thoughts-welcome/msg30531/#msg30531 and, long story short, have had tank lighting on since the summer and which the fish are fine with (although I think they behave more relaxed and naturally when it's off). You're correct, though, in that they'd be quite happy without it and the lighting is only really for my benefit - it's great being able to see the fish better, though.

The plants, though, have required lighting since I've got them. Anubias and the java moss balls have fared best and would probably be fine without lighting, but the others do require lighting. I've worked out that 7-8 hours per day is about right for the plants I have - anything more seems to be too much. I keep intending to have them on for two separate periods during the day - but keep forgetting to do this!

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »
@fcmf

Thanks for the input.

We don't have live plants, yet, but we're thinking of getting a couple, Anubias and Java Fern, ready planted on Bog Wood to maybe help with algae control.  Providing that a) we have an algae problem in a few months time when the tank has fully settled down and matured and b) If my understanding that the live plants compete with the algae for Nitrates.

We do have a slight algal problem at the moment in our brand new, nearly cycled, tank.  A patch of light greenish discolouration on some stone décor and yesterday I noticed what looked like powdery green specs on a couple of leaves of one of the artificial plants.  We're going to leave things alone for now.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »
You are right that the plants will complete for nitrate, this obviously doesnt guarantee that the will be no algea, it might in fact mean that you get a different type of algea instead, but it will of course lessen the chancchances of a significant algae outbreak.  those types of plants you are think about are also pretty indestructible. 

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »
Algae usually appears in a tank when three parameters are out of synch - light, CO2 and nutrients. With low light plants such as the ones which grow attached to wood (java fern and anubias species) you don't ned to add much in the way of CO2 as fish make this by respiration which should be enough for them. Macro nutrients for these slow growing plants - nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus - are usually sufficient from the nitrogen cycle, fish food (potassium) and tap water (phosphorus). That just leaves trace minerals which may be lacking in soft water but with hard water that should provide enough for slow growing plants.

This just leaves lighting. If the lights provide very bright light, or if you leave the lights on for a long time, you'll still get algae even with these slow growing plants in the tank. But have them on too little and the plants won't thrive. You will need to use trial and error to find what is enough lights for the plants but not enough to promote algae.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Keeping the lights on?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
by Resa
7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 03:58:54 PM
by dbaggie
3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 09:23:19 AM
by naughtymoose
6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2015, 03:59:16 PM
by Aquamaid
22 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 08:37:30 AM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2018, 11:13:02 AM
by TopCookie
9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2019, 09:53:17 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: