Just Got A 2nd Tank :-)

Author Topic: Just got a 2nd tank :-)  (Read 5223 times) 21 replies

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Just got a 2nd tank :-)
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yes, multiple tank syndrome has set in....I've been thinking about getting a larger tank even tho' I'm very new to fish keeping as an adult and my tank is only a few months old. 

I've been checking out ebay every now & again & decided if a bargain appears, I'll go for it even if I don't set it up straightaway.  Well last night, I couldn't resist putting a cheeky offer on a 100l Rena aquarium and stand :) :) & then almost fell off my chair when it was accepted immediately!   :D

I collected it tonight - it def needs a new filter & maybe a new light. I'm in no rush to get it up & running but I'm really pleased to get it.  I have no idea about fish yet altho, I do want to use natural plants and wood.

There is another possibility for it's use & that is my neighbour has 2 goldfish who have grown too big for their small tank so I may temporarily offer it to her as a BIG hint for her to get a bigger tank for them!  I have to look after them every time she goes away & I hate it as they can hardly move where they are.   :'(  She keeps saying her family can't decide where to put a bigger tank but that's not the fishes fault!   :-\ 

Anyway, any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received as usual.  I'm sure I will be asking lots of qns once I decide what to do with it. 

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Just got a 2nd tank :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »
MTS is a common 'affliction' amongst us  :)

I'll have to say that I'd definitely offer your neighbour the tank for her goldfish in the first instance - the thinking on the size of tanks for goldfish has really changed over recent years, and it's taking a long time to filter (excuse the pun) through to people. It would be lovely if they were to be housed into something more suitable than their current environment - and the offer of a tank, along with concern about them/their health (done in a tactful/nice way), may be enough for her to make that move to either accept it or buy her own. Although the size of tank nowadays seems to be quoted at ~180L for two fish, I'd imagine that this is too far removed from what she has now, whereas the actual offer of a 100L tank might seem and be more realistic for her. [Hopefully she might contribute something towards/in exchange for the tank, if she accepts it - even their old tank, which would hopefully be suitable for shrimps at least.]  If this 'goldfish rescue mission' goes ahead with a positive outcome, then we could revisit what to do with what tank/s you have.

Sorry - I have a deep affinity with goldfish, hence advocating them being saved before they succumb to ill-health as a result of a small environment! Others with no such/less an affinity may have other suggestions along the tropical route for you - the world's your oyster (argh - where are all these fish-related puns coming from this evening?!) with a tank that size, but you'd generally be best with fish that fit in with your water parameters (eg PH levels where you live).

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »
Hi fcmf
Yes, I would love her to accept my offer - I get really upset when I see them in that small tank hardly being able to move    :(   I think one of the problems is she rescued them from a friend who wasn't looking after them at all so she feels at least she feeds them & cleans their tank.  Oh dear....I'll keep you posted! 

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:45:15 PM »
Oh Sunshine, lucky you.
If only I'd had room for a 100 L !!
Still, I must be (temporarily!!) satisfied with my 60x30x30 that we've just collected and which is currently cycling. This MTS is a very real illness!
Being twice the size I already had will make a difference to my fish though and that's what matters.

Hope your neighbour takes you up on the offer.  Perhaps when she sees how happy they are she'll get a bigger one, even if only bigger than they currently have.

Enjoy  your new purchase. 

At the moment I am cleaning sand (Tesco play sand. Cheap as chips, not a bad colour and only going to have a small depth)
Having bought it I see a lot of people on the net use Filter sand. We'll see.  At some stage I'll need to re-do it. Who knows - it might be around the time I get yet another tank!!

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
Hi Sanjo

MTS is a real problem - they guy who sold it to me had 3 other tanks in his front room!  No wonder his wife said he had too many!   ;) 

I'll give it a good clean and check it doesn't leak before offering it to her.....let's hope it's ok!  I've just used eco-complete substrate on my 1st tank & have some left so think that will go in the 2nd tank - if/when I do get to use it. 
Sand sounds like a bit of a faff - I'm just trying to keep things simple at the mo.   :)

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »
Hi Sunshine

I am also new to fish keeping - 3 months.

I keep having these thoughts about if I had another tank I could set it up as a tropical tank as my current tank runs at 20 - 21oC and the sorts of fish I could get, I may even have list of what I would like.  I keep having to remind myself that I need to keep my current fish alive and well for a while longer because I get any more but it is hard. 

I do like your idea of keeping an eye out for a bargain and storing it until you decide to use it.  Though I don't think I would be as strong willed as yourself - I be cycling it as soon as I got it home, I may already have a spare filter just in case.  Damn... I seem to have some of the symptoms, if not the full blown disease. :o

Anne

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:40:25 PM »
Aaaaaargh MTS.......its an epidemic......no known antidote......I'm doomed!

Skittler

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:43:19 PM »
There is an antidote... buy another tank!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
Steve,

If buying a second tank is an antidote, how is it that I know a guy who used to have seventeen. Then he got married........perhaps that is the antidote. I have invited him round to inspect my 125L.....he wants to, but he daren't......he says he knows what will happen.......aaaaaargh!

Skittler

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:17:43 AM »
I didn't say buy a second tank, I said buy another tank. A subtle difference. As for the guy with 17, well some cases are pathological! ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
It's not a cure but it holds the disease in check - a husband who objects to lots of tanks. I have three by devious means and that's the limit he's prepared to accept. He does grudgingly allow the QT as a fourth but only for a short time.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
You have 3 tanks or 3 husbands, Sue?  :rotfl:

I'm "working" on my need for a quarantine tank which I'm hoping might just happen to become a second tank in due course. Think my other half is slowly coming round to the idea. I've been using examples of folk from here which I think are slowly filtering through eg "How lovely - Sanjo's husband has consented to a second tank for her birthday". Fingers crossed...

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
fcmf - Clearly, by devious means, you are trying to infect the unconverted with the contagion. The End of The World is nigh.......aaaaaargh.......now about that shrimpery....

Skittler

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »
Dragged the other  half out to a fish shop and whilst I was viewing what was on offer he wandered around and when I found him he was looking at a huge tank (well it looked huge to me) on a cupboard.  "That's the sort of tank I'd like" HE said !!

Well that's fine I answered but where would we put it.

I'm getting there. haha

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »
My husband always ends up eyeing the discus and oscars. Well, I say, let me have that 8 foot tank and I'll get one or the other.......

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »
Thanks all - you've given me lots of giggles about MTS.  Sue, I want to know more!   :D  What devious means were they?  ha ha!  A friend of mine used to buy clothes then drive round with them in her boot for ages before sneaking them into her wardrobe - if hubby asked, she'd say 'oh, I've had them for months!'   ;)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:58:17 PM »
I was intending to do that with the new pump I bought in P@H last week, assuming he noticed it was different.

As it happens I had to confess that I'd bought it as I was intending to take it back today.
It's noisy and iffy. Works when it feels like it.
It was going to be a bit awkward as he decided to come into town with me so I wouldn't have been able to sneak back to P@H.
What is this hobby doing to us

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
I started with a 60 litre tank, then bought a 25 litre quarantine tank. So one tank up and running, the other in storage until such time as it was needed. Then I bought a betta and put him in the QT - and kept him there so I had to buy another 25 litre QT. Now I had two tanks plus a QT. Then he said I could get a 125 litre, even bought it for me for Christmas; he thought it was a replacement for the 60 litre, but instead of getting rid of the 60 litre I kept that as well. Now I had three tanks plus a QT.
Though when I upgraded from 125 to 180 I did get rid of that tank. But only because the bracer bar had become detached from the back wall and I didn't want to risk it or try to repair it myself. I gave it away, advertised it on aquarist classifieds with a heading of 'tank in need of repair'. It went the day after I placed the ad, and there were 2 or 3 people after it.

Offline sunshine

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »
Not as sneaky as I thought then, Sue.....  I was expecting all sorts of shenanigans!   ;) 

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
Ah but he thought it would only ever be the one tank. I only told him about keeping a betta in the QT full time, and keeping the 60 as well as the 125 after I'd got them. If I'd suggested it before I'd still only have one tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Just got a 2nd tank :-) "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: