Jumping Shrimp

Author Topic: jumping shrimp  (Read 5074 times) 10 replies

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
jumping shrimp
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi guys, although I'm not a newly to tropical fish i am to keeping shrimp.. i bought two shrimp on saturday and on sunday found them dead on the carpet ! only left feeding lid open for a short while and never noticed them on the floor until too late, any reasons for this suicidal pact of theirs ? thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: jumping shrimp
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »
It is not unknown for shrimps to climb up cables, pipework etc. It is often because the water isn't in good enough condition for them eg people trying to do a fish-in cycle with shrimps in the tank. But as your tank won't have iffy water, I suppose they could have found your tank water sufficiently different from the shop tank that they tried to leave it. Did you acclimatise them or put them straight in? I know Richard W says we don't need to acclimatise fish as it takes days not the minutes or hours we do it for but I don't know if the same applies to shrimp.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
hi sue,i have had problems with my tank and water in the past but have spent last 8 weeks letting it complete its cycle and all water tests were zero for a week or so , put 2 yamato shrimp  (about an inch long ) with 4 fish in the tank doing it the proper way etc. they went about their business and seemed quite happy but obviously not.. they had to jump at least 3 inch to get out too!  does anyone know much about yamato shrimp, i thought shrimp were shrimp ,   :vcross:

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:39:12 AM »
Yamato is another name for amano shrimp (Caridina multidenta, used to be Caridina japonica), and I've had these with no problems. The last one died when I had to add a med to the tank and I'd had him for five and a half years.
Apart from the odd one that died soon after I got them, I found amanos easy to keep. There are a couple of shrimp sites with info here and here

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »
 and you never had any jump out ? i just tested water and ph about 6.4 nitrite and ammonia nil and nitrates 0 to 5 ,.  will have a look at the sites for more info.. i know i only had them one night but i liked watching them glide through the water and also looking for them too ,  thanks sue

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:50 AM »
I've had snails climb out of the tank and a female betta that jumped every time I opened the lid (eventually found her dried up behind the tank) but never shrimps for some reason.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
thats sad :-(  ,I've thought about a couple of female bettas, are they easy to keep .. i have 4 platys and 4 red noes rummys at moment in my 60l tank ..  also can you tell me how to put what fish i have on my posts like some of you have

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »
Sorry for your loss Fruitbat.

I didn't know they jumped either until I came to putting my new red cherry ones in the tank.

In my wisdom I decided not to just put them in after acclimatising them but to pour them into a strainer over a bucket so that none of the original water went in with them.
They jumped around like fleas !! Managed to get all but one in and he jumped out of the strainer before I could position it over the tank. Good fortune was with me though as he jumped straight into the water.

I started with 12 about 2-3 weeks ago, bought from a lady on Gumtree. I periodically see 5/6/7 of them but have never to this day seen all 12.

I do find their ecoskeletons though and so far have had 3 large and one smaller so I am assuming they find the water acceptable.

I'm hoping to collect a couple of Amanos from the Maidenhead near my daughter on Saturday for my 60cm tank so fingers crossed they have some.

My Aquaone tank has a 1/2 gap all round the glass and I made a new net top for the tank that fits all round.  It isn't particularly tight so I suppose they could in theory climb past it. Gives me a bit of confidence though.

I have seen them a couple of times resting on the top of the pipe from the outflow and one was on the top of an Alder cone I put in last night.  That is right to the top of the water and near the edge of the tank so I'd better think about moving temlptation out of their way.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
thats sad :-(  ,I've thought about a couple of female bettas, are they easy to keep .. i have 4 platys and 4 red noes rummys at moment in my 60l tank ..  also can you tell me how to put what fish i have on my posts like some of you have

Hover over the word 'profile' under your name where it says hello fruitbat and click on 'forum profile'. You'll find a section called signature - type your fish in the box, then click 'change profile' right down at the bottom of the page.

Female bettas aren't that hard provided you have the right number. Just one is fine. Two isn't because one will pick on the other. Three isn't because two will gang up on one. Four and above is fine because any aggression gets spread out and no one female gets picked on all the time.
I had half a dozen in my old 60 litre in what is called a sorority. One of them was a real problem. If I opened the lid to feed them, she jumped out. Cleaning the tank was a nightmare, I had to open the lid the merest crack. My son still lived with us then and I could only do a water change when he was there to catch her when she jumped. The others were fine, it was just this one.

Offline fruitbat

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »
my tank is pretty secure so will have to watch them when feeding and cleaning ..  going to get 2 more on sat and hopefully they won't jump to their deaths! sanjo , i only had them a night but they never hid just got on with finding food so hopefully they will not be quite as secretive as your shrimps...  thanks sue, may give them betas a miss for now .. ;-) 

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 03:18:59 PM »
My daughter in law came yesterday and saw my tank for the first time.  She also had a 5 year old child in tow who was fascinated by my shrimp tank.
I was trying to explain to said child that there were two much larger shrimp in the big tank and set her to finding them (mainly to stop her playing with the control of my husbands very expensive electric recliner.
Anyway, kept her occupied for ages and she never saw either of them.
My daughter in law told me her friend keeps shrimp and one day she came home from work and found one of them dead on the kitchen floor.
It had left the tank, crawled across a large carpeted living room floor and was on the far side of the kithen when she found it. Dead unfortunately.
Made me quite nervous.
I changed part of the substrate in the shrimp tank Friday and took out at least 50% of the water.  I removed most of the plants and the hiding places.  I counted at least 9 shrimp so they didn't all die after all.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "jumping shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
40 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 06:46:58 PM
by Resa
8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 12:24:16 PM
by chris213
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 10:49:42 AM
by MarquisMirage
6 Replies
Last post October 26, 2018, 08:48:34 AM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2020, 09:00:37 PM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2020, 12:09:20 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: