Is Using JBL Aquaplus Basics With Soft Water A Good Idea

Author Topic: Is using JBL Aquaplus Basics with Soft Water a good idea  (Read 4418 times) 17 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Is using JBL Aquaplus Basics with Soft Water a good idea
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi again, I've finally got delivery of my tank (240 litres)  :D and you've given me great comment to work with, but I'm having a real dilemma!! The more I read about soft water tanks, my tap water is 30.68ppm. So my question is, given my newbie status and keen to not give myself problems through bad decisions, would I be better just using the sand and root tabs for the plants and plant on the décor, as I'm concerned that this just the JBL will make the water softer and be subject to greater fluctuations in PH which I've seen isn't good for fish.

Think I just need some reassurance I'm not going to totally much it up, although I'm sure I'll get some stuff wrong :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Is using JBL Aquaplus Basics with Soft Water a good idea
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »
Hooray, new tank delivered.  :cheers:

I have used this substrate, but have hard water (16dh), so I couldn't say how it will affect your soft water.

However, I don't think that you can go far wrong with sand and root tabs, so it may be a safer option for now.

Hopefully one of the members with live plants and soft water will be able to provide more detailed information for you.

:)

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
Thanks littlefish yeah I'll see what others say but yeah maybe keeping is more straightforward is the way to go for now.  :fishy1:

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
The substrate won't reduce the hardness of the tank by very much. If your worried about it you could put some in a glass of water for a few days and test the difference it makes.  I doubt you'll detect anything to be honest from what I've read about these substrates.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »
Congrats on the new tank's arrival.  :cheers:

I have very soft water (slightly softer than yours) and attempt to keep plants in just sand with some Seachem Flourish and root tabs - I actually keep them in their pots although have attempted recently to decant some out of their pots and place them directly in the sand. In retrospect, I wish I'd put in a specific planting substrate at the outset as it might have made it easier for the plants to take hold in - currently, I'm having to pile up the ceramic rings from plant pots, feed the roots through that, and then pile several inches of sand around the base to keep them upright. However, a planting substrate would make this easier. This https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=guide-to-substrates, from a well-known aquascaper, might be helpful and it actually includes a section on JBL AquaBasis Plus.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 07:45:31 PM »
When you read the article don't panic when they mention a heater cable, it really isn't required.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
It's a good website that fcmf has linked too which I've used in the past though I would also comment that I would probably do a 1cm think layer topped with max 1.5 ish cms sand. More than this and you risk anaerobic bacteria forming gas pockets below the sand which can poison your fish...

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
Thanks all good article, fcfm, I did lol, littlefish, when you said don't panic when I read the article......that's exactly what I did  :yikes: seriously though sounds like I might be ok if I don't overdo it, thanks Matt.

Think I need to be brave and get on with it!

I'm sure you can expect more questions soon  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:36 PM »
I agree with @Matt
I have used a deep layer of sand over a planting substrate in the past, then had to deal with occasionally poking it with a skewer to avoid a build up of anaerobic bacteria.
There is also a different between setting up a tank with the fish as the focus, and aquascaping a tank, with the plants as the focus. I tend to go with the fish being the priority, and the plants there to create a natural environment for them, so I don't have plants that are always at the peak of perfection (or anywhere near). I'm not great at daily dosing of fertilisers and carbon, and my plant trimming skills leave a lot to be desired.
Aquascaping tends to be more involved with creating a beautifully planted tank, sometimes following a specific style, providing all the macro and micronutrients, regular plant trimming & maintenance, etc. with some fish and/or shrimp included.

Be brave, and we are here to help.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 08:11:37 PM »
I'm going to echo @Matt. Again. (I seem to be doing that a lot recently!  :rotfl:  :cheers:). I think it is a good article. Although I won't be changing my substrate, again, any time soon (or ever), I will refer back to the root tab information.

For information, I have Caribsea Eco complete. I had an issue with my tank at first set up, so it inadvertently got washed. By otherwise have been very happy with it. But I used it as a base under gravel and consequently spent nearly 8 years looking at it thinking "there's too much substrate in there". I finally completed a refurb of my tank, and (in sections) removed about 2/3 of my substrate. I then sieved some of what I'd removed and put the small grains back in. I used a 2mm diameter sieve because I wanted it to be close to sand while still reusing the substrate I already had. So now my substrate is approximately 3-4cm deep (it varies due to inhabitant remodeling!) and predominantly the caribsea eco complete because the gravel water generally grains larger than 2mm.

If I was starting from scratch again, I think I would look into one of the sand like complete substrates. Partly because I've decided that I like the dark substrates.

I do also have sand in my tank (a recent addition at the time of the refurbished). But I've used that as decoration and haven't specifically planted anything in it. Where it looks like there are plants in the sand at the edges, there is eco complete underneath. Because smallest grains sink to the bottom, I don't know how long the sand will stay on top. And I've not had sand in my planted tank long enough to know how that might affect the growth. Other than to sympathise with @fcmf at how difficult it can be to get plants to stay in the sand.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Great minds" and all that @Helen  :cheers:

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 10:16:11 PM »
thanks again everyone, good to know I'm not doing anything drastically wrong.....yet! I'll go with the thinner layers and see how this goes. And while it's all settling do major fish study :fishy1: so no doubt I'll start stressing over that too and you'll start seeing posts about fish compatibility, but the website you've directed me too is good. I'm keeping a notebook of the ones I think may be suitable so when I get to that stage I'll give you a shout again.

Talk soon  :D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 10:28:16 PM »
Don't worry about asking questions. I've been active on these boards on and off for 8 years (like you, before I first set up my tank). The periods I went away, was because I was sprogging and I think I forgot pretty much everything I knew about fish!

So I've become active again and been asking lots of questions as I refurb and restock my tank.

Also the search function is pretty good. It took me a while to work out how to get the best out of it, and I'm still not that great. What's weird though, is searching for a question and finding the answer. And then realising it was me that wrote the answer several years ago!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 05:37:22 AM »
Something i should have mentioned before... when you add water to the tank you will need to be extremely careful not to disturb the substrate. Sand, as you can imagine, will easily get swooshed away when pouring in water. In your case this would mean disturbing the layers you have built and also adding nutrients to the water column which will cause algae and clouding of the tank.  Avoid at all costs!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 09:27:54 AM »
The usual recommendation is to place a plate or saucer on the sand and pour the water onto it. I use a home made colander and pour the water through that. (It's a 170g Total yogurt pot with holes stabbed through the bottom with a knitting needle)

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Cool good shout yeah imagine mixing everything wouldn't be good, like the colander idea and I'm a "Total" eater too so that'll work for me!!
When I had fish 30 years ago I never spent as much time looking into things which is probably why things never went that well and I finally gave it up after I'd moved to my first flat, so enjoying actually learning about it properly this time around.
Sand cleaning starts this evening and then putting the rocks and roots in, then onto using Matt's plant brochure to see what I should consider, might even think about buying some plants over the weekend!! Exciting!! (now that I've stopped stressing)  8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »
It's an exciting time.  ;D

Make sure that you keep stirring the sand while you are washing it, otherwise the dust just comes off the top layer. I find it easier to use a bucket but rinse the sand in small batches. After stirring let the sand settle before pouring off the water, otherwise you pour out quite a bit of sand (and blocked drains are never fun).

Enjoy your plant shopping and please keep us posted on your progress.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 03:25:57 PM »
I forgot to mention that I mix up water and dechlorinator in a bucket, then put the bucket on a tall stool and use a jug to ladle water from the bucket to the tank via the yogurt pot. If you want to do the initial fill with a hose pipe, put the tank end into a plastic bag (if you have any carrier bags)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Is using JBL Aquaplus Basics with Soft Water a good idea"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 06:52:42 PM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post June 25, 2016, 04:38:03 PM
by Luke
6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2017, 01:05:50 PM
by Andy The Minion
13 Replies
Last post April 14, 2017, 10:07:57 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post June 03, 2017, 06:47:50 PM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post July 07, 2017, 05:38:10 PM
by mizuti

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: