Is There A Simple Way To Empty Tank?

Author Topic: Is there a simple way to empty tank?  (Read 2439 times) 4 replies

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Is there a simple way to empty tank?
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well, being a newbie, I've only done a few water changes and each time I've tried something a bit different to try and make things easier.  So far I've succeeded in soaking the carpet, me,  the Granddaughter - and the dogs had the sense to get out of the way!      :vcross: :rotfl:

What I've been trying to do, is once the syphon is running, connect to the hose (tried a funnel into the hose, fail!) and out into the garden, a distance of about 20' through the dining room, as said previously, ending in a bit of a mess!  I have thought about putting a hose connection on the end of the syphon and quickly joining it to the hose, but probably will be another failure  :-[
The other solution is to syphon into a 25l container, connect a submersible pump to the hose and then out into the garden, which would likely be the best idea at the moment.  I  fill the tank with the submersible pump, which on first use was another fail  :-[ forgot to take the end out of the tank and whilst turning on the hose on the outside tap, the water started running back into the container.  My Granddaughter was too busy on her phone to notice ::)
Does anyone have any other suggestions, polite ones preferably  :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Is there a simple way to empty tank?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The only up side to this very hot weather is that the carpets dry quite quickly after a water change.  :)
I syphon into 10L containers and carry them to the garden when doing maintenance on the smaller tanks.
You may find that syphoning into a 25L container then using the pump is the easiest way, as long as you don't let the pump run dry, or you switch the pump on before putting the hose outside.  ;)
Worth having a waste container separate to the clean water container, and give the pump a rinse before using it on clean water.
If it makes you feel any better, water spills are very common with me.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I do it all with buckets.

I use a wine making siphon tube with the rigid plastic tube on one end, minus the cup (that's so you don't suck up wine sediment, but you want to suck up fish tank sediment). I have sand so I don't need that wide tube for pushing into the gravel. I start the siphon by filling the tube with water under the tap, then carry it to the tank and with a thumb over each end, lower one end into the tank the other into the bucket then let go both ends. When the bucket is full, finger over the tank end, place in the bucket and grab the other end, and with the two ends held uppermost, transfer to a spare empty bucket. Empty the bucket of tank water down the outside drain, or in the current weather, over the garden. Then siphon another bucketful till I've done 7 bucketfuls.
My main tank is in the dining room so I have to carry each bucket of water through the kitchen to the back door, then put on my outside 'crocs' and to the drain/garden plants. I have had a bad back for 30 years but I still manage.
I use an old curtain with a thermal lining to lay on the carpet in front of the tank - the backing makes it waterproof, at least for as long as it takes to grab a handful of paper towels in the case of a major spillage. An alternative would be a plastic sheet covered with an old towel which would absorb the spillages.

My tank holds 188 litres water without decor so less than that with decor, and I change about 85 litres a week.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
I bought a garden hose and use this as my 'fish tank hose' i put one end of the hose out the back door into a drain. Then fill it as Sue describes. Thumb over the end and into the fish tank. No lifting buckets required!

When it comes to filling the tank back up again I have a hose to tap connector so the end going out the door gets connected to the tap and the other end stays in the tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 03:06:49 PM »
If you can attach a connector to the tap, there is another way to start the siphon. Attach a T section to the tap, then attach the hose to the side piece of the T with the third end pointing downwards into the sink. Turn the tap on. The water should run through the T shaped thing and suck air from the hose, which in turn will suck water out of the tank. This is the same principle we used in chem labs back in the 1970s - a tap with a T valve which was used to suck air out of glass vessels to create a vacuum. To refill the tank, either take out the T connector and attach the hose to the tap, or put a cap over the downward pointing opening.
In theory, the kitchen tap can be turned off once the tank water is flowing to reduce wasting mains water.

However, if you do attempt this, I would have another person with you to turn the tap on while you made sure that water was leaving the tank rather than going into it. Having an on/off tap in the hose near to the tank would make it easier to control what went into the tank. Turn this tap off, then turn the kitchen tap on, then open the tap inserted in the hose.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Is there a simple way to empty tank?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
12 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 04:52:32 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: