Is Pea Gravel A Problem For Corydoras Punctatus?

Author Topic: is pea gravel a problem for corydoras punctatus?  (Read 3375 times) 6 replies

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
is pea gravel a problem for corydoras punctatus?
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ibought a couple of corydoras punctatus about a month ago. I was unsure about the pea gravel I have but the LFS said it wouldn't be a problem for them. I really like them and would like to buy more. I was considering changing to sand substrate but I also like plants and know they don't do well in sand, and I can't afford the plant substrates. Is it possible to have gravel one end with plants and sand the other? or would this just become messy? any advice would be great. Thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: is pea gravel a problem for corydoras punctatus?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
The main thing is that the gravel is rounded rather than rough. They would do better on sand, but as long as the gravel doesn't cut their mouths they'll be OK.
The problem with one end gravel and one end sand is keeping them from mixing. You'd need some sort of barrier to keep them apart, a barrier that went right down to the glass.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »
I've read quite a lot about this on various forums and in articles since I would always want corydoras in any tank. They are really the perfect bottom feeders. Some people say they have kept corydoras on sharp substrates for years with no problem. There is an opinion that it is not the sharpness but the cleanliness of the substrate that is the problem, i.e. that the cause of barbel loss is infection from bacteria in a dirty substrate rather than mechanical damage from rough substrate. I should imagine that the worse combination would be sharp and dirty substrate which might first scratch the barbels and then infect them. In any case, if you have had yours for a month and their barbels look OK, then I doubt if there is anything to worry about.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:33:37 AM »
I should have mentioned about cleanliness  :-[

Of course that is the other advantage with sand, you can see how mucky it is as everything sits on the surface rather than down between the gravel pieces. The disadvantage is that you can see all the muck  ;D

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
Thanks guys, there is a lot to think about. I had also read about the dirty substrate being more of a problem Richard. The gravel is quite sharp in places. I'm not sure if there are any problems with the barbels but they look the same to me as when I first had them. I do like them a lot, and I would like them to be happy  :D
Well thanks for the tips I'll give things some more thought. I am trying to save for some Seachem flourite black sand which apparently is okay for corys and is also great for plants, but it is expensive. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on their barbels! 

Offline Leyther

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
I am fairly new to the fish keeping hobby  (7 or 8 months) but I have pea gravel and I have both punctatus and Julii in mine , I have had them for about six months now and I have had no problems at all and they are a great community fish, no other fish bothers them and they don't bother any of the other fish.

Offline suep

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the reasurrance Leyther  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "is pea gravel a problem for corydoras punctatus?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2015, 07:01:22 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post December 22, 2015, 05:36:32 PM
by sunshine
11 Replies
Last post February 12, 2016, 09:03:50 AM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post December 28, 2016, 03:36:52 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2016, 03:30:00 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2018, 08:23:11 AM
by Littlefish
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 05:07:02 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: