Is My Platinum Molly Aeris Pregnant?

Author Topic: Is my Platinum Molly Aeris pregnant?  (Read 4887 times) 11 replies

Offline shadowweep

• Fishy Contributor
Is my Platinum Molly Aeris pregnant?
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, I posted a question to yahoo answers and I think it's best answered here:
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20141107060849AAFspnY

I've attached a video of one of my female Platinum mollies Aeris. (Link above)
She used to be medium sized, but in the recent 2-3 weeks since I got her she has swelled and now is the largest of the 3 female Mollies in my tank.

It unsure whether she's pregnant or just getting fat. She's only about 2.4cm and I only feed the guppies once a day. The other tank community consists of 3 male Black phantom Guppies, 3 Orange tuxuedo Guppies and 3 Amano japonica shrimp.

I specifically chose those three Mollies as they were small/juvenile Mollies and wanted the to grow slowly and confidently in my tank. I know Mollies can hold on to sperm and cross breed with Guppies so there's a chance if she is pregnant that it's in tank or from when I got her from the store.

I've had all 9 fish in the tank for a little over 5 weeks now and the tank is healthy, planted and scaped 30L with a gentle bubble flow.

EXTRA NOTE
I noticed this morning when all the fish were active and not in their conserving energy/sleep behaviour that Aeris was by herself hiding behind the bog wood where the shrimp hide, This is possibly the second time I have seen her do this since I posted this question.

Names amended on request

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
Re: Is my Platinum Molly Aeris pregnant?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:29:35 AM »
a gravid Mollie or platy or guppy
can take any thing up to 14 weeks before
they drop their young if the fish becomes
distressed it can also abort the birth by reabsorbing
the eggs or young i just let my guppies drop them
in the main tank just make sure there is plenty
of floating cover ie Riccia  duck week all long stringy
plants they can find cover i find breeding traps stress
the fish and also means the mother can eat her own fry
when they are dropped .     

Offline shadowweep

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 04:42:39 AM »
a gravid Mollie or platy or guppy
can take any thing up to 14 weeks before
they drop their young if the fish becomes
distressed it can also abort the birth by reabsorbing
the eggs or young i just let my guppies drop them
in the main tank just make sure there is plenty
of floating cover ie Riccia  duck week all long stringy
plants they can find cover i find breeding traps stress
the fish and also means the mother can eat her own fry
when they are dropped .   

So are under the impression that she is or may be pregnant due her the behaviour and how she looks in the video?

I have 2x Cabomba caroliniana, 1x Aegagropila linnaei marimo, Bog wood and a tiny pot in the tank, Will these be sufficient cover for the fry if she does bare young?

Is it even possible for a Molly of this size to get pregnant?

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »
is it a balloon molly by any chance is there
any chance of a photo please the video is not
very clear to make out 

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
I agree. The video is not nearly clear enough. If the molly's abdomen looks square, sort of like this \_/ she is about to give birth. Livebearer females often go off on their own and hide away just before they give birth. But getting fat can also by a sign of dropsy. Look down on her from above, do her scales stick out like a pine cone?

However, you have far more issues of immediate concern. 30 litres is not big enough for mollies (they are big fish) or platies guppies or black phantoms. The only suitable creature you have in the tank is the shrimps. I would rehome all the fish you have and get something more suitable - a betta (siamese fighting fish), though a betta may attack the shrimps, or a shoal of a small species such as chili rasboras.

If the tank is 5 weeks old, did you cycle it before getting fish, and if not are you monitoring the ammonia and nitrite daily, doing a water change if you see a reading above zero for either of them?

Edited for writing wrong fish  :-[

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
also looks small for a mollie not unless they are super size
guppies just how big is your tank and how many fish do you have
in it please

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
He says he has 9 fish in a 30 litre tank, 3 mollies and 6 guppies plus amano shrimp. He does say that the three black phantom guppies are males, but not what sex the orange tuxedo guppies are. If they are females, together with female mollies which would have been inseminated at the shop if not actually pregnant now, there are going to be a lot of fish in a small tank.
I suppose a few male guppies would be OK in 30 litres, but only if they are definitely all males. The tank is far too small for mollies though.

I misread the first post and thought the black phantoms were tetras not a colour form of guppy  :-[ That's what comes of rushing with a husband nagging that it's time to get dinner.

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
i agree with sue that tank is to small for that amount of fish
there is loads of bargains to be had on larger tanks
on local face book groups mind you i dont think i
would seek advice on some face book groups :rotfl:

Offline shadowweep

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 01:03:19 AM »
I agree. The video is not nearly clear enough. If the molly's abdomen looks square, sort of like this \_/ she is about to give birth. Livebearer females often go off on their own and hide away just before they give birth. But getting fat can also by a sign of dropsy. Look down on her from above, do her scales stick out like a pine cone?

However, you have far more issues of immediate concern. 30 litres is not big enough for mollies (they are big fish) or platies guppies or black phantoms. The only suitable creature you have in the tank is the shrimps. I would rehome all the fish you have and get something more suitable - a betta (siamese fighting fish), though a betta may attack the shrimps, or a shoal of a small species such as chili rasboras.

If the tank is 5 weeks old, did you cycle it before getting fish, and if not are you monitoring the ammonia and nitrite daily, doing a water change if you see a reading above zero for either of them?

Edited for writing wrong fish  :-[

She doesn't display any indications of Dropsy that you described, Though her belly does look fairly square as you've described when I see her from her underside when swimming upwards in the tank.

I did cycle the tank for 4 weeks before introducing the fish and the shrimp, I monitor the ammonia and nitrate levels in the tank every 2 and a half weeks which do not show any signs of contamination as well as water changes.

I got the tank as it was all that would fit my room until I'm able to move out and I specifically chose the smaller Mollies and guppies with the idea of eventually getting a larger tank in mind.

I'd hate to have them leave as I've just named them all and have become quite attached to them, Though if it's unfortunate enough that I do end re-homing them I would rather let my friend adopt them he has a 180L tank also he works at Pet's at home as a manager so he knows what he's doing.

Offline shadowweep

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »
is it a balloon molly by any chance is there
any chance of a photo please the video is not
very clear to make out

No, She isn't a Balloon molly.
I'll attempt another photo tomorrow and upload it.

Offline shadowweep

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 01:12:28 AM »
i agree with sue that tank is to small for that amount of fish
there is loads of bargains to be had on larger tanks
on local face book groups mind you i dont think i
would seek advice on some face book groups :rotfl:

I actually got this tank at a bargain and it was actually Yahoo answers but I understand your point, That's why I came here to ask instead..

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:07:22 AM »
Did you add ammonia to cycle the tank? I ask as a lot of people think that just letting the tank run empty is cycling and I just want to check. As long as your ammonia and nitrite are zero, that's fine.

I notice on re-reading your first post that you are aware that female livebearers can hold sperm - I appologise for missing that first time. And yes, mollies and guppies can interbreed but it is quite rare and the offspring are usually weak and not many survive.
The problem with fish is that they grow up quickly. They become stunted before one has time to buy that bigger tank. And just because your molly might be carrying fry doesn't mean she's fully grown - livebearer females can start giving birth as "teenagers". In a 30 litre tank I would stick to just guppies and shrimps and wait on that bigger tank before getting mollies. If they aren't balloon mollies, they will grow to at least 4 inches (10cm) and would be better off in your friend's tank. If you do manage a larger tank at some point, then get mollies.

Glad you came here instead of sticking with Yahoo answers. Some of the replies I've seen on there give awful advice.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Is my Platinum Molly Aeris pregnant?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2012, 06:56:30 PM
by Chucklett
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 01:05:27 PM
by Chucklett
0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
by brecon
4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2013, 11:33:52 AM
by Paul T 85
11 Replies
Last post March 23, 2014, 01:26:49 PM
by JimmyL
7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2017, 06:23:44 PM
by adenann
0 Replies
Last post March 18, 2022, 09:55:37 AM
by Russell

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: