Is It Time For A Few Fish?

Author Topic: Is it time for a few fish?  (Read 2497 times) 6 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Is it time for a few fish?
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone, well my tank has now been up and running for two weeks and I planted it up last weekend, so far the plants are living, in fact some are even growing!! I still have the furry white stuff on the wood but everyone says it'll go away eventually.
 As far as water tests go I'm slightly puzzled by the ph which is around 7.2 using a liquid test kit and way under 7 when using a strip? But I've got soft water,  how worried should I be about that, or should I be more interested if the ph via one method fluctuates?
Other water tests have everything at zero, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia, so although I think that's good, still slightly disconcerting that these results haven't moved at all in the last 2 weeks, but again maybe that's good?
Anyway so thinking I could maybe get a few fish now? Thinking about harlequins, glow light tetras, cherry barbs all in shoals, and was just going to start with 8 harlies first? Then was also thinking about a Bristlenose plec and a pair of kribensis and maybe a few bronze corys? Any thoughts?  :fishy1:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Is it time for a few fish?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »
I also get a much lower PH on a test strip than on a liquid-based test kit or than my water/utility company suggests is the PH for my postcode.

Just to help us to determine if your tank is/has cycled at all, or if this is just the same as if you were taking a reading straight from the tap, how heavily planted is your tank (number of plants, volume of tank, etc.)? Ordinarily, there ought to be a nitrate reading in a cycled tank. What is your nitrate reading from the tap?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »
For the plants I've got about 16, some in the substrate and some on the wood, and it's about 240 litres of water.  The nitrate reading from the tap is zero as well.  :fishy1:

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
Since you are doing a silent cycle using plants rather than bacteria to take up ammonia you shouldn't see much, if any, variation in ammonia nitrite & nitrate. The pH will vary during the day. Plants make CO2 24 hours a day which dissolves in water to form an acid. But when the tank lights are on, plants take up CO2 and convert it into carbohydrates. The amount of CO2 in the water builds up when the lights are off so the pH drops slightly, reaching the lowest point just before the lights come on. Then the plants take up CO2, the amount of acid drops and the pH rises to a highest point just before the lights go off.

I have soft water and my pH is 7.5.

I would get the harlies, all of them, and monitor ammonia and nitrite for a good few days afterwards. If they both remain at zero, get the next species 2 weeks later and again monitor those levels.

The trouble with cories is that they have no concept of territory. Kribs, and similar territorial bottom dwelling fish, will decide on a territory which could well include the entire bottom of the tank. The cories will wander into this territory and be chased out. But because they have no concept of territory they will wander back and never learn to stay away. This results in cories being picked on continually.
So I would say either cories or kribs, not both.

Male bristlenoses are also territorial but this centres on his chosen cave, particularly after spawning. Without a female he will still guard his cave but not as vigorously as when there are eggs or fry. Female BNs are not territorial.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
Cool, think I'll be heading to the shops tomorrow!! Thanks for advice re the corys, need to think about what I'd prefer. Back to the Harlies, I know I said 8 but thinking a bigger shoal would be nicer so maybe 12, but is this too many to get at once?

:fishy1:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 05:19:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I would get half now and half a week later  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Harlies are very peaceful fish so half now and half later will be OK with them. However, I would get all the cherry barbs at once and also the glowlights because with fish that form hierarchies it is better to add them all at the same time.

If your harlies don't produce a blip in readings, you should be good to add the other shoals as one batch each.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Is it time for a few fish?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 07:07:36 PM
by skybluejay
2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:00:30 PM
by Gav
20 Replies
Last post November 05, 2014, 03:10:40 PM
by Gav
10 Replies
Last post December 26, 2014, 08:03:14 PM
by Tim_b65
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 02:26:42 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2020, 03:36:36 PM
by fcmf
20 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 03:21:33 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: