Intro And My Fishy Project - Cora

Author Topic: Intro and my fishy project - Cora  (Read 39226 times) 306 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Intro and my fishy project
« Reply #280 on: June 22, 2016, 08:17:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@ColinB that's an interesting and useful article.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:37 PM »
I agree with Colin. I don't like to see the substrate meeting the back of the tank, for the reasons Colin gave.

Ofc, many people would say that my way of doing things isn't right either as you sometimes can't even see some of the fish.  :rotfl:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
How do you feel about snails? If the algae is bad, nerite snails are wonderful algae eaters. The only problem with them is they lay sesame seed like eggs on things like wood and other decor, but they don't hatch. Of course that means the eggs just stay there.
I think that snails are unsightly. I've removed about a dozen from the tank over the last few weeks but haven't gotten rid of them all. The algae is the long whispy stuff that's clinging to plants. Algae on the glass isn't much of a problem, and I'd leave it anyway for the Otos.

I have no idea what variety of snails they are though; I assume I picked them up unexpectedly from a plant vendor (I'm blaming Pets at Home). I suppose they don't do any harm and will help out...

Quote from: ColinB
My view on hardscape/planting etc is that it's important not to be able to see where the substrate meets the back wall of the tank.
I agree. In fact this is what my tank is like. I have the taller and wider plants at the back and with some stones and mid-ground plants you can't see the back.

But as Extreme says, it means that sometimes I can't see fish. A tiny bit of re-scaping will sort this. I might remove one or two big stones and replace with crypts.

I'll let you know. And yes I will post pics when I upload them to photobucket. :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
If the algae is like long threads, when I had that I just used to wind it round my finger till all that thread was gone and then moved on to the next thread. One day I realised I didn't have it any more but I've no idea what I did to get rid of it  ???

Pest snails are quite common, but if you can put up with them they are not actually a bad thing in tanks. It's when they have a population explosion you need to do something, and the usual remedy is to cut down on the amount of food you feed the fish.
If they are little flat spirals, those are a type of ramshorn snail. If they are roundish with a small point at one end, those are called variously pond snails, trapdoor snails, bladder snails etc and are probably some species of Physidae. The other snails you can find don't usually come in with plants; they are ice cream cornet shaped malaysian trumpet snails, MTS.

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
I'll try to identify them later, cheers Sue.

As for the algae - I've been using pincers and wrapping the algae around them to clean the tank. It hasn't really come back in those places so maybe it's a one-off case of removing it manually.

I think I am actually underfeeding the fish at the moment. Only one feeding a day and even then I doubt all the fish get their share. This is the good thing about frozen food - it sinks slowly and every fish gets a bit. But as it's a treat I don't want to spoil the fish too often :)

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
@Cora maybe you should think about the Assassin Snail http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=1075+3106&pcatid=3106

I love my pandas. Best of Luck!!! :cheers:

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
The reason I want to move the scape slightly is to see more of the pandas! I have 7 in the tank but only see 2-4 at a time. I'm sure they are fine, just shy.

Today I have removed a medium-sized rock and replaced it with three small echinodorus. I can now see the base of my spiderwood and this gives much better height to the aquarium. I've been using rocks to weight down the spiderwood but as it now remains submerged on its own I plan to replace the rocks with plants.

My sister has volunteered the services of her assassin snails to assist with my problem :)

Edit: oh and remember what I said about having lots of plants but it not becoming an underwater jungle. Well, forget that. Lol. I gave the plants a clean today and stood back and thought "jeez*, they've grown!" It really is quite dense now! Looks great - all those shades of green - but too many hiding places for fishies :(

*words to that effect...

Offline ColinB

« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »
That's easily sorted...... more fish!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #288 on: July 01, 2016, 01:41:38 PM »
Afternoon!

Just wanted to say hi, and I'm still alive - despite my recent absence.

I'm getting the Bolivian Rams tomorrow! :D

And I will finally, finally, sort out my photobucket account to link all the images of the tank from the very start, in one thread.

The tank is coming along really well and water conditions are excellent. Still having algae problems but this is no doubt a result of inconsistent nutrients and not enough fast-growers, so I added some weighted Hornwort.

Merry Friday all  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #289 on: July 01, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »
Looking forward to seeing lots of piccies.  ;D

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
Update: still no Bolivian Rams. The vendor didn't have them in after all and there was a miscommunication.

I have got another few Panda Corys though - bringing the total to 10!

I watched some Bolivians Rams in a fish store yesterday and they were being quite narky with each other. I was worried. Perhaps they are in breeding mode, and perhaps being in a small tank in a fish shop without plants etc to demarcate territory doesn't help - but it did make me worry about what a group of BRs would do to my very peaceful tank...

But given that my tank is so heavily planted I hope there is more than enough room and enough areas to keep them friendly.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2016, 12:59:04 PM »
Shame about the Rams... but good news on the Pandas.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2016, 01:57:39 PM »
Indeed - always a good idea to watch them before making a definitive decision.  It might be that the vendor, if a shop, will agree to you returning them in a worst-case scenario of them not settling in peacefully - worth asking pre-purchase.

Looking forward to seeing the updated pics.

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2016, 03:50:48 PM »
I've also decided to try a few things to combat the algae problem. Did a 20% water change on Friday evening, cleaned algae off the front glass (I leave the other sides for the Otos), and haven't used CO2 or lightning since. Instead, I've removed the lid and am letting daylight do its work. I'm also using the recommended dose of Flourish Excel every other day, keeping a close eye on my pH though.

My ANN (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) is 0,0,0. But my phosphate levels were >=1ppm, hence the water change. Apart from excessive feeding I don't know where this has come from. Tap water is fine.

I've also weighted some hornwort and added it to the very back of the tank. It's a surprisingly attractive plant, and it grows FAST! So much so that in just three days it was curling at the surface, so I snipped it in half, weighted the new growths and "planted" them too. I think a combo of all these things has helped reduce the algae.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #294 on: July 04, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
In my experience with Rams, they are likely to be a bit territorial but not aggressive to the point of actually causing damage to others.  They certainly arnt 'tetra peaceful' though plants etc do help massively with this.

@Cora - I can't remember if we covered this with you already? Is you tank positioned away from direct sunlight?
Are you comfortable that for the amount of plants you have and their type (rate of growth/root feeders etc) that your dosing regime is not overkill?

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
In my experience with Rams, they are likely to be a bit territorial but not aggressive to the point of actually causing damage to others.  They certainly arnt 'tetra peaceful' though plants etc do help massively with this.

@Cora - I can't remember if we covered this with you already? Is you tank positioned away from direct sunlight?
Are you comfortable that for the amount of plants you have and their type (rate of growth/root feeders etc) that your dosing regime is not overkill?
Hi @Matt

I've stopped dosing altogether since the water change. I don't think I was overdosing, based on recommended doses but something has been out of balance.

There is only one part of the tank that receives direct sunlight and then only for an hour in the afternoon, if it's sunny.

I have mostly a mix of slow and medium growers in the tank. I think I had several problems early on: not enough fast growers and insufficient water flow. The CO2 was definitely helping all the plants grow but with little to no surface agitation (to retain carbon dioxide) the initial algae bloom stuck around. I had to keep cleaning it off and scooping it up - after which it's much better.

I have two airstones in either back corner of the tank on full all the time, creating a much better flow. I've haven't used the overhead lights in days. No ferts. No CO2. Only Flourish Excel.

I think somewhere along the time I've become trapped in limbo between low and high-tech setup. What I should have done is gone full high-tech from the start, or not done it at all. My plan now is to leave the setup as described for a week or so and see if the algae goes away (it's much better right now). I'll do some replanting and replace some slower growers with fast growers then resume moderate dosing.

If I can find a place for my old 70L I'll do a high-tech fast growing setup from the start. But that's a project for another thread :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Makes sense re being somewhere inbetween a low and high tech setup and your plan also makes sense  :)

Keep up the good work  :fishy1:

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #297 on: July 15, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »
Update: did weekly water change yesterday instead of today. Why? Because today is BOLIVIAN RAM day!

I believe it should be a national holiday with that name. I'll talk to Mrs May this afternoon about it...

Offline ColinB

« Reply #298 on: July 15, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Re: Intro and my fishy project - Cora
« Reply #299 on: July 15, 2016, 04:31:35 PM »
"Singani is a pomace brandy distilled from white Muscat of Alexandria grapes. It is produced only in the Bolivian Andes and is considered the national liquor of Bolivia and a cultural patrimony."

I haven't got any, so will have a beer instead.
 :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Intro and my fishy project - Cora"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 06:36:36 PM
by Murf
104 Replies
Last post May 11, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
by maz1
19 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 04:08:54 PM
by Sue
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage
17 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 10:18:58 PM
by dwindstr
26 Replies
Last post February 28, 2020, 07:58:09 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: