Immaculate Conception In My Fish Tank

Author Topic: Immaculate conception in my fish tank  (Read 3020 times) 5 replies

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
Immaculate conception in my fish tank
« on: October 12, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
This morning, I had a look at my tank and prepared to move a plant so that when it grows it wont grow over the top of the tank where the feeding flap is. As I sat and admired my handiwork, waiting for the disturbed bits to settle, I noticed something voving against the prevailing current.

FISH!

I haven't bought any fish yet.

I can only assume that there were eggs on the piece of planted bogwood I bought at Pets at Home last week (had to use a voucher up, but will be using Swallow Aquatics in future).

There are actually 3 fish, and possibly two different species. I've bought a little isolation tank and some JBL Nobil fluid, as I think that there must have been eggs on the bit of bogwood. I've turned the oomph down on my my Interpet PF1 filter too.

Any suggestions on what I can do now? I'll not be buying my Ember Tetras for a while, and the tank is still cycling using the NTL filter start stuff.

Moose

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Immaculate conception in my fish tank
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
Any idea what they are? I know it can be a bit  tricky as baby fish often don't look like they do when they're grown up.

Is the isolation tank a separate tank or one of those that fits inside the main tank?
If it's a small separate tank, you can do lots of water changes in there while still cycling the main tank, but with one that gos inside the main tank you'll need to stop cycling and get any ammonia and/or nitrite down to zero and continue with a fish-in cycle. Which could take a long time with tiny fish.......

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 03:43:35 PM »
Hi Sue.

I had to get a mini isolation tank that goes inside the main tank.

I'll get the water tested again during the week. Will the filter start juice stuf be doing  the role of cycling the tank?

I've had difficulty catching the little ones too! Managed to get one in to the nursery, but the others have eluded me. One of them is quite blue. We think the shop tank held Dwarf Rainbowfish.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »
I should have checked your other posts before my last reply. I see you are using an NTL labs bottled bacteria product. I'm afraid to tell you that is unlikely to have done much. It might contain the right species of ammonia eaters but not the right nitrite eaters - use of those has been copyrighted or registered or whatever the right term is so they aren't allowed to use the correct species. And without adding ammonia the ammonia eaters don't have any food so won't multiply.

You are now doing a fish-in cycle. Three tiny fish won't make much ammonia so you might not even see a reading for that or nitrite. But keep an eye on those two levels and do a water change if necessary to keep them below 0.25. The bad news is that it will take a long time to cycle the tank with three baby fish. The other bad news is that if they are actually dwarf rainbows, they'll need a bigger tank as they grow. Seriously fish reckons 60cm long minimum, but having had some in my 107cm long tank, I would suggest bigger than 60cm as they are very active fish. And dwarf rainbow eggs are apparently attached to surfaces by a small thread so yuor guess could well be right.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
FISH!
I haven't bought any fish yet.

Thats hilarious!!!!  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
This immaculate conception is catching  ???

In May 2013 I had 8 male endlers. No females. 1 tiger, 1 black neon, 2 black bar and 4 snake chest. Details from this thread reply #10.
In Feb 2014 I had 5 or 6 male endlers according to this thread reply #3, though I didn't make a note of which pattern types they were.

I am now down to 2 snake chest endlers.

And a half sized black bar type. But my black bars had orange dorsal fins and orange swords on both edges of their tails. This fish has a white dorsal fin with black spots and there is just a bit of colour at the top edge of his tail fin. His body colours are also muted. This fish is displaying all the signs of being a juvenile - small in size, muted colours, swords still developing colour.

Where did he come from? There have been no females in the tank for 18 months. The only thing I can think of is that a tiny fry stowed away when I got the rice fish on 4 September. I didn't see anything like a fry in the bag but the dates are right. Only there were no endlers in the same tank as the rice fish in the shop........

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Immaculate conception in my fish tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 04:27:24 PM
by Don
0 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 09:35:04 PM
by maz1
2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2013, 07:34:48 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 06:32:08 PM
by chris-topher
1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 07:41:24 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: