I Just Do Not Understand What Is Wrong!!

Author Topic: I Just do not Understand what is wrong!!  (Read 3543 times) 5 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
I Just do not Understand what is wrong!!
« on: December 15, 2012, 06:24:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
I am still having a problem with hazy water, even though I have invested in the Eheim Pro3 250 external filter.

The water is clear one minute then hazy the next. It is if the "haziness" goes out through the filter,hence clear water, and then gets thrown back out and the water becomes hazy again! >:(

My water quality is fine...ammonia 0ppm....nitrite 0ppm....nitrate 20 - 40ppm....ph 8ppm.

The only two things I can think off is 1, over feeding....a good possibility as I am still figuring out the "optimum" amount of food.
2, When I clean the substrate on the water change maybe I am stirring the gravel up too much?

Would it be ok to do a 15% water change daily for the foreseeable future?

When the water is clear during this cyclic clear/hazy water "syndrome", the water is crystal clear!! Then it is so annoying to watch the water haze up.

It is not a thick cloudy haze, more like a very thin "mist".

As I say I am at a loss and I am so trying very hard to get everything right for the fish. :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
Re: I Just do not Understand what is wrong!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
Could possibly be a bacterial bloom from over feeding new tanks can get them to. A sure sign of overfeeding is tiny little white worms on the glass of the tank. Had a problem with this a little while back. Dont feed your fish for 2 days they will he fine and see if it helps.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks Don,
Just done a 15% water change. No small white worms fortunately.

Will miss out the feeding for a short while, and see how that goes. Will just have to ignore the mollies at feeding time, when they come up to the end where I am sitting in anticipation. :D

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Haha its hard i no. My discus go crazy everytime they see
me. Fish are worse than dogs for begging for food.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »
If you can squeeze some in, wool/floss in the filter would help, though maybe not remove all the haziness.

Bacterial blooms are harmless, nothing to worry about. They are bacteria that feed on organic matter - that just means carbon based. The filter bacteria feed on nitrogenous matter rather than organic so the bloom bacteria are not the same as the ones that grow in the filter. The bloom bacteria live floating in the water and multpily very fast. we see them as the whiteness in the water. Once their food supply is gone, they usually die off.
Organic matter in tanks comes from various sources. Fish food is one source, as is plasticiser (phthalate esters). These are found in everything plastic in the tank; filters, plastic decor etc. Even the silicone holding the tank together has organic matter in it. The plasticiser and the organic matter in the silicone will disappear eventually, but excess fish food does depend on the fish keeper.

The other cause of white cloudiness is dust from the substrate. Just to check - you did wash the gravel thoroughly when you set the tank up?

Feeding can be a problem. All I have to do is get something out of the cupboard under the tank where I also keep the fish food, and all the fish are squashed up in the top corner. Missing a day isn't a problem. A lot of people routinely fast the fish one day a week. You need a hard heart to resist their begging though.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 12:35:14 PM »
Hi Sue and thanks,
I am going to change the floss filter when my new filters arrive, hopefully Tuesday.

I do have a 3m length of 25 - 30mm thick sheet of floss filter, and once I get my "official" filters I will create a template, so I can cut them out of the sheet.

I did rinse out the gravel when I put it in. and I thought I had rinsed enough?

I must say, that when I do a water change I do dig it in the gravel quite hard :P But am expecting an eheim battery operated gravel hoover from santa clause  :D so then I can just hoover from the top surface and just below.  So I should not stir it up as much.

As you say, hopefully it will go away soon!!

Yes it is hard to ignore the fish. I sit right next to my tank and any movement I make the fish are staring at me from the tank ;D and they always,always seem to be led by the mollies. ;D

Thanks once again

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "I Just do not Understand what is wrong!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 11:36:25 AM
by fcmf
17 Replies
Last post January 21, 2018, 04:17:28 PM
by Littlefish
0 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 07:13:30 AM
by Matt
10 Replies
Last post February 26, 2018, 07:03:39 PM
by fcmf
17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
by fcmf
22 Replies
Last post March 05, 2020, 09:01:12 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 20, 2020, 04:28:11 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: