Diy Set Up

Author Topic: diy set up  (Read 5812 times) 12 replies

Offline maz1

• Fishy Member
diy set up
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
i am setting up a six foot tank for cichlids with coral sand and live rock but i have been watching youtube and have now decided to make my own filter but dont know whether to use cannister or sump filter plus the tank is 183cm in length 65cm in height depth is 46 cm and the glass is 1"thick but i dont know what the exact volume in litres is if anyone can help because some people state you need your filters to turn over the water six times an hour but i dont know if thats true or not i was going to use 2 1000 litre cannister filters but someone said use a 50" drum and use 3 different media,s in it with sepparators between them i was gonna use filter floss,bio balls or cemamic rings, i just dont know but i have a bare tank with the cabinet being home made with 3x4 thick supports and mdf panels or ply its my first attempt so thats the basics of the cabinet with a twist on the outside of the tank but i will post pics up as i go along from start to the end design :-\ ??? ;D 8)oh by the way the 5ft was a no go to a waster on ebay selling my tank that i won so i had a neighbour who helped with a donated tank

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
Re: diy set up
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
And round we go again!  ;D

You will not know the exact volume unless you count how many buckets it takes to fill up - and at 6ft long, that could take quite a while! Along with a pen & paper to note down each bucket as you go or you'll lose count!

If you dont want to do that, you can get a fair-ish estimate once the sand and water is in. Measure from the top of the sand line to the water line for the height. You already have the width and depth. Pop the measurements into the calculator and you will get the volume but dont forget to deduct some for decor. Only you can estimate how much the decor takes as only you know what you have. It wouldnt be easy for us to guess from photos or description.

The measurements you give above come back as a volume of 547 litres. Are these measurements the overall size of the tank? If so, then the actual volume will be nowhere near 547 litres. No tank is filled to the brim. Nearly all tanks have sand/gravel and logs/rocks, plants and other decor. You will be amazed how much space is lost from all this. Ideally, you need a fairer "actual volume" to get the filter size needed.

It is generally recommended for a filter to turn the tank five times per hour (ten times if heavily planted). When calculating what size filter you need, bear in mind that manufacturers will quote a maximum performance. Eg, if a filter is alleged to be 1500 litres per hour, then that will be on an empty filter. By the time you add media and the filter starts collecting gunk from your tank then that 1500 PH will be more like, perhaps 1300 maybe even less? There are other debating factors too which make things even more complicated - Sue managed to find a very interesting article about it on the old forum and it pretty much left us all having no clue as to how to work out exactly what a filter would do! The best we can do is go by the 5 times per hour (actual volume) calculation then round it up a notch or three! Having a filter too powerful will turn your tank into a washing machine and your fish will think they're living in a permanent tornado  :o

Erm, may I ask...... are you a skilled carpenter??? The way you said that its your first attempt..... did you mean your first attempt at a fish cabinet or first attempt at woodwork? Sorry - I couldnt figure out which you meant  :-[ 

Although at the time it must have been annoying about the 5ft tank, the consolation is that you now have a 6-footer!!  ;D

Offline maz1

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
yeah its my first attempt at building it from scratch most times i have brought second hand but not really what i wanted so now it will be perfect i hope lets get the plans drawn up then on with the designand wood sourcing and other touches to make it unique

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
Chucklett, did you mean the info I pinched from another forum? Some members on there has measured the outflow from their external filters, most of them with mature filters so the media was nicely bedded in. I'll have to go and see if I can find it again.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »
Hi Sue  :)

It was a while ago now, so Im not sure but you may well have pinched it from another forum. I remember you saying that various filters had been tested and all sorts of factors denominated their performance. If I remember rightly, one of the factors was how high the tank is from the filter. Another was manufacturer - I think there was one manufacturer (possibly a particular model?) that was found to be quoting a more "accurate" output. Of course, my memory isnt that great so.......  :-\ 

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
I've just found the thread on the other forum  :D

There are two makes that are reputed to give their flow rates with media inside the filter - Eheim and Hydor. Others quote them without media, so the in-use flow rate is lower than stated. Eheim and Hydor quote for brand new, nice clean media so even theirs fall off a bit as the media gets used.

Then there's the spray bar question. Some of the 'testers' measured their filters' flow rates with and without spray bars - and as you would expect, the flow rates were lower with spray bars.

And dirty tubes slow the flow rate too as the muck inside narrows the diameter of the tube.

Some of the 'testers' gave the head height, some didn't; this makes it tricky to work out what effect head height has.

The results showed that Eheim and Hydor showed the smallest difference between the manufacturers figures and those given on the forum - as you would expect since the manufacturers quote the flow rater with media in the filter.
Various Tetratec filters had an 'actual' flow rate of around 75% of the manufacturer's figure.
APS filters came out as 50 to 60% of the manufacturer's figure.

It should be borne in mind that these tests were not very scientific. They measured the volume pumped out in 10 secs, then multiplied the volume by 360 to get litres per hour. A tiny error in measuring over 10 secs would get quite big when multiplied by 360!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »
Hmmm. It really is all a bit hit & miss innit! Shame there isnt some kind of guideline that all manufacturers have to follow. If they all tested with media in would be a bit of a start! And surely it wouldnt be too much to ask that all filters perform at +/- a certain percentage of whats quoted. I realise the flow rates would vary from one setup to another but it would help if the manufacturers quoted LPH wasnt all over the hoppit to begin with!!!

Something you mentioned has popped a question (or two) in my mind... You happened to say that the flow rate varied according to with/without spray bars. My spray bar (made up of five pieces joined together) has a bung in the end - obviously to force the water out the little holes along the bar. I have my spray bar pointing upwards so the waters surface is broken. Not understanding the science behind it (!) but I read that some kind of reaction between air & water helps keep the water oxygenated or something? Anyway, the bung keeps falling out - obviously has gotten loose over time and so the water forces it off. This means the water is no longer forced out the little holes hard enough to break the surface but does still have enough umpf to send a rather relaxing ripple effect across the waters surface. Perfect for the LED shimmer effect!
(a) does that now mean the flow rate of my filter has possibly/probably increased? and (b) will there be any detrimental effect from no longer having the waters surface broken?

Thanks  ;)

Offline maz1

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »
hi we went sourcing parts today for the tank /filter/wood.now i dont know whether to use standard bulbs or a led strip light. bright white. aquariums are a long road and changes along the way all the time  :-\ :'(

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
For what reason are you contemplating LEDs?

Proper aquarium LED strips are expensive to buy. But they last longer, are cheaper to run, are cooler, low carbon footprint and give a lovely shimmer effect in the tank if there is agitation to the waters surface. All these good points vary according to make. (eg, one brand runs a lot cooler than another that may not be much different to a normal flourescent strip. Or one brand may be much cheaper to run than another). You would need to research the different makes to find what suits you.

However, if you are only after the shimmer effect, then you can achieve this by using a cheapo LED strip purely for the effect (eg, self-adhesive waterproof strips used under cars). BUT, these cheapo strips are not suitable as sole lighting for the tank. You would need proper aquarium strips as well (eg. T8 or T5 or some such lighting). Again, you would need to research the different lights available to suit your needs.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »
BUT, these cheapo strips are not suitable as sole lighting for the tank. You would need proper aquarium strips as well (eg. T8 or T5 or some such lighting). Again, you would need to research the different lights available to suit your needs.
LED strips would be able to light a tank adequately as long as there are no plants, often the case in the sort of hard water cichlid tank proposed.  However, the tank is huge and would require considerable light, even without plants.  If you have a lot of money, I believe LED lights would be the way to go if you do not have plants.  If you use plants, you will need a second mortgage to provide adequate lighting using LEDs.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline maz1

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
ok people thanks for helping us decide what bulb would be ok my bulb on my 3ft looks yellow i want a moonlight effect if possible if not a bulb to bring colours out and im having no plants not with malawi they wreck them im only useing coral sand and live rock plus is k1 filter media ok for the water  ??? :-\ :)

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 06:49:41 PM »
LED strips would be able to light a tank adequately as long as there are no plants

Thankyou SteveS - I will bear that in mind for future "advice"  ;)

Offline maz1

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »
phew finally the tank is here only took 3 men to get it here but project 6ft is about to begin here goes :D ;D :) 8)

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: