Hurrah! Permission Granted To Get A Bigger Tank!!!

Author Topic: Hurrah! Permission granted to get a bigger tank!!!  (Read 4400 times) 13 replies

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
Hurrah! Permission granted to get a bigger tank!!!
« on: October 26, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi fishy friends.

Great news for Mr Moose! The missus says he can get another fish tank :D but no bigger than 1m long :(

Anyway, I've got options on a couple of second-hand possibles, and I intend to use an IKEA Besta unit, to match the others in the lounge; I'll strengthen it appropriately.

I know I haven't got it yet, but I have to make plans and all that...

So, as I like my plants, would it be a good idea to use a soil substrate?

I have a bag of pond compost and was wondering if that might be useful?

A veryhappymoose!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hurrah! Permission granted to get a bigger tank!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:55:28 AM »
It's nice when the other half gives in, isn't it  ;D

And my husband even agreed to get rid of the long unused piano so I could get a bigger tank when my 125 litre's bracer broke  ;D

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
On the premise that 'there's no time like the present', I have just bought a 30" tank on ebay. Off to pick it up in a mo'.

:)

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
Spooky, I have also just been granted permission for another larger tank today. Whoo hoo!  :cheers:

Definitely going down the 2nd hand route this time, more tank for your money that way I reckon  ;)

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
lucky you!
i had a hard enough job to get the missus to agree to a nano cube (30 litre) as a second tank.
regarding soil for a substrate; i am using shrimp friendly aquarium soil in my nano tank and it is letting off ammonia and nitrites in to the water column thanks to all the nutrients it contains, and it will continue to do so for at least another two weeks.
a side effect of this is it may cycle the filter for me without the addition of pure ammonia.
sometimes i wish i had just put plain old gravel in there and used mature media from my other tank so i could stock straight away.

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:08:49 PM »
Well, I just picked it up.

It is a Clear Seal 30x12x15". Cost me £16.50. It may need a bit of silicon on one edge, and I will need to make a lid (already working on plans)

Two minutes after coming in, I started dropping hints that it would be 'OK as a first bigger tank, you know, before I need to upsize...'

The other half was not quite as cross as I thought she'd be... ::)

Nice one Gav! :cheers: Well done!

evan47, that's an interesting bit of info. I wonder if the pond stuff will do the same? I've got plenty of time to sort things out, and am in no rush. I'll be doing things slowly due to funding, and I've got to visit IKEA before I do anything else (groan)

Mrs Moose is pretending that she isn't interested, but she's already decided what single ornament will be going in the tank...

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 05:05:10 PM »
another interesting thing to take note of is the fact that some mineralised substrates can lower and buffer the ph of your water, usually lowering it.
while this can make ammonia less toxic it may make it more difficult for bacteria to multiply and possibly limit your choice of suitable fish species.

Offline Resa

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
Brilliant news on your new tank, Moose :cheers:
I didn't realise you were looking for one already, my son had two tanks that he was getting rid of for a friend....very, very cheaply! I'm not sure if he still has them, but I could ask him if you are interested. He is only down the road from you, just by the Rayleigh Weir. I know they were in excellent condition, he had asked me if I would like them but I want to get one more bigger tank not two more slightly bigger tanks....if that makes sense ???
Anyway, congrats to Mrs. Moose, for being smart enough to broker the deal and getting a trip to Ikea out of it....I like her thinking ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:08:54 PM »
Oops...forgot to say, well done to Gav, as well.  :cheers: I think you can definitely get some bargains second hand, if you know what you are looking for. An ad local to us was selling a nearly new 60L tank, with all the heater, filter, substrate, plants....and fish, for 10 euros...what a steal for someone!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:10:46 AM »
Well done guys..... but c'mon, you know the rules...... piccies please.

For 'soil' under gravel I've seen plenty of different recommendations. Some say use garden soil that you know doesn't have weedkiller/fertiliser/slug killer/cat poo in. Others hop over the fence and steal their neighbour's organic soil, various places say either John Innes No.1, or No.3 or sterilsed top-soil. So basically, there seems to be little consensus.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Gav

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 08:27:52 AM »
I wish I had a new tank to take a piccy of but not yet. :-\
Just a case of being patient and waiting for the right bargain.

It has to be a minimum of 180l and 90cm though as I want to get a few bigger fishies this time  ;D :fishy1:

I'll try and get some pics of my two new Gourami's later though to make up for it....  ;)

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »
The Managing Director and I have been discussing the issue of what to put my new 76cm, 80L tank on.

Unfortunately, my suggestion to use a 120cm wide IKEA BESTA unit with reinforcement (so it matches the other units in the lounge) won't wash. She thinks it will look too crowded. This is a major bummer, as I would have been able to fit a 120cm tank on it...

However, if I eventually buy the Interpet Fish Pod 120 stand,my new tank will fit on it nicely.THEN, I could upsize to the Fish Pod 120, which is 50% bigger by volume!  :rotfl:

Do you think I'll get away with it?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
Flowers and a meal out may help?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
Do what I did with my other half. Get her to treat herself to something she'd really like (I let my husband choose a new road bike), then it's only fair that you can do likewise.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hurrah! Permission granted to get a bigger tank!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 09:48:57 AM
by Mervyn
10 Replies
Last post November 12, 2013, 08:31:19 AM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 12:13:40 PM
by ColinB
31 Replies
Last post June 17, 2014, 08:39:50 AM
by Pawel
5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 02:18:42 PM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post September 29, 2015, 04:43:42 PM
by fruitbat
40 Replies
Last post September 07, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: