How To Set Up An Algae Farm?

Author Topic: How to set up an algae farm?  (Read 3257 times) 5 replies

Offline pandemonium

• Fishy Contributor
  • I have no idea what I'm doing!!
How to set up an algae farm?
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My tank is still fairly new, only a 54 litre  (60cmx30cmx30cm) I am setting up a cleaning crew to help keep the glass and plants clear. I bought some snails the other day (sold as zebra apple but are nerite beyond a doubt!) I want to set up an algae farm but wanted to be sure I was doing it the best way!
My understanding is I put a jar on the windowsill with tank water, and stones/decorations for the algae to grow on.
I intend on getting shrimp, and maybe ottos in the future.
Thanks for any help!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Otocinclus (1) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Assassin Snail (1) - Endler's Livebearer (4) - Angelfish (6) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Swordtail (female) (4) - Upside-Down Catfish (3) - Giant Danio (4) - Ruby Barb (6) - Peacock Goby (4) - Guppy (female) (3) - Guppy (male) (1) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ornamental Snails (4) - Fiveband Barb (8) - Guppy (male) (1) - Guppy (female) (3) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: How to set up an algae farm?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
That's right. Use a few stones so you can be growing algae on some while others are in the tank. Choose the sunniest windowsill you have (assuming we get some sun!) and if you have any ammonia add a drop of that to the jar. Algae love ammonia and light!

Hmmm, does anyone know if adding a drop of aquarium plant fertiliser would help too?

Shops do like getting the label wrong!
Apple snails do come in stripes but if you are in the UK you'd be lucky to find them in the shops now that importing them has been banned. The easiest way to be sure is by looking how much of the snail's body is outside the shell when it moves. With nerites you only see the feelers while apple snails have a lot more of the body visible.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
Any fertiliser will help algae grow, probably a garden or house plant fertiliser is better than an aquarium one, as the latter tend to be low on nitrates and phosphates so as not to encourage algae in aquaria!

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:58:13 PM »
Thanks Richard  :)

Offline pandemonium

• Fishy Contributor
  • I have no idea what I'm doing!!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
Thanks Sue, seeing only the feelers is why I was so convinced the label was wrong! The rest of their body stays tucked in safely out of the way. They've done a great job with the little algae my tank has managed to build up.
And thanks Richard, I've got some stuff for house plants but wasn't sure if it would be wrong to use. I couldn't think of any reason not too, but assumptions are dangerous!

Also I've been looking at shrimp, I like the look of cherry shrimp but don't want to be over run or underfed them so much they die! Any tips? Or any other shrimp that won't breed so easily? I know amano shrimp would be okay, but would prefer a bit of colour!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Otocinclus (1) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Assassin Snail (1) - Endler's Livebearer (4) - Angelfish (6) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Swordtail (female) (4) - Upside-Down Catfish (3) - Giant Danio (4) - Ruby Barb (6) - Peacock Goby (4) - Guppy (female) (3) - Guppy (male) (1) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ornamental Snails (4) - Fiveband Barb (8) - Guppy (male) (1) - Guppy (female) (3) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
Cherry shrimps do breed like rabbits when they are happy. I have them with pygmy cories and Sundadanios, both small fish which don't seem to eat the baby shrimps. Or at least not many of them.
The problem is that amanos are just about the only shrimp I can think of that can't breed in fresh water. Well, the females do carry fertile eggs but the larvae can't survive in fresh water when they hatch. Do you/will you have any fish other than otos in the tank? Cherry shrimps should be safe from predation from otos but it depends what other fish are in there/planned. Though with 54 litres, you won't be able to keep fish big enough to tackle adult shrimps. You might be able to keep the shrimp population under control with fish that will eat the newly hatched shrimplets.
But having said all that, I don't seem to have a problem with standing room only for shrimps. I have to go through the bucket at every water change and remove about half a dozen shrimps of varying sizes that I've sucked up, and there are always a few tiny baby shrimps. The tank does have lots of java fern and hornwort so maybe I have babies because there is hiding room for them. Maybe the cories and Sundadanios are eating a fair number of baby shrimps after all.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How to set up an algae farm? "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 08:00:44 PM
by Andy M
19 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 10:43:37 PM
by Chucklett
4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 09:27:27 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 09:37:30 PM
by george
13 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 03:02:13 AM
by biffster
27 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: