In Mid Cycle (we Think) And Need Help/advice To Lower The PH

Author Topic: In mid cycle (we think) and need help/advice to lower the pH  (Read 6994 times) 27 replies

Offline HalfY

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: In mid cycle (we think) and need help/advice to lower the pH
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
thanks for the links Sue

Pretty confident that she's a Crossocheilus langei, which explains the behaviour :( the other one I have is also the same species but seems quite happy by himself.

Unfortunately, we had our first casualty on Friday night and this little SAE didnt make it, bit heartbreaking to lose one soo early but I guess its a lesson learnt

Offline HalfY

• Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »
Hi Folks,

:wave:

Just wanted pick everyone's thoughts on getting rid of a green water bloom.

Been reading some articles on how to get rid of green water as our tank has become quite murky over the last week or so. I've cut back on feeding the fish to every other day and made sure our blinds our closed every morning to block any sunlight, and today will have the aquarium lights off also.

But I've been reading some conflicting things across the internet regarding water changes, some recommend only doing a water change (~20%) every other week, whilst some places recommend changing water (~20%) every day!? Its a bit confusing.........

Does anyone have any good advice on how to deal with this green water?

I'd rather not spend any extra money on buying a UV sterilzer or diatomic filter just yet if possible.

Thanks,
Tom

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 08:28:43 AM »
There's a good algae guide here which may help - green water's down at the bottom of the page. Have you tested the water for ammonia?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline HalfY

• Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 08:51:03 AM »
Hi colin,

Thanks for the link will give it a read when I get chance.

Water parameters are all as usual, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitirate between 20-40ppm, ph at 8.2

Offline HalfY

• Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
Good read, looks like I'm doing some of the right steps to get rid of it. Hopefully it won't take too long lol

It didnt mention anything about the water changes, so I guess I can assume to keep those to a regular schedule?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
Water change regimes do depend to an extent on how many live plants are in the tank. Richard W on here has tanks like underwater jungles and doesn't do as many water changes as most of as his plants keep the water clean. I change 25 to 30% a week as I have low KH and need to keep it topped up. If all the plants are artificial again I'd recommend 25 to 30% a week. And if there are no live plants planted in the substrate, clean the substrate at every water change.
Go by your nitrate level. It should not rise to more than 20 ppm above the level in your tap water. Before I ran out of nitrate tester, mine was never more than tap + 10. If you find your nitrate is more than tap + 20 just before a water change, you need to do them more often or change more water.

One thing the article doesn't mention about green water - wrap the tank in thick blankets so that no light gets in. Turn off the tank lights. Don't touch the tank for 3 days, not even to feed the fish, they'll be fine without food. Use that 3 days to work out why you have green water and how to stop it coming back.

Offline HalfY

• Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 11:05:18 AM »
Hi Sue,

thanks for the reply. My tank is quite heavily planted so I am cautious of completely blocking out the light for 3 days as the plants haven't been doing so well recently and leaves are thinning out/dying and getting brown spots.

I recently bought another liquid plant fertiliser from the Easy range: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001B5QOL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use this along with the EasyCarbo

Last weekend we had a good clean out of the substrate along with added the Easy life Pro for the first time, so i'm thinking and hoping the combination of this has led to the green water bloom based on what I've read could be the cause.

Just regarding the water regime, for a planted tank do you recommend changing once the nitrates are +20 above the tap water levels?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 12:20:55 PM »
I do not have heavily planted tanks so I am not sure of water changing regime. I do know that some people have to add nitrate to their tanks as the plants remove it all (and quite likely they remove the ammonia made by the fish before it can be turned into nitrate).

Hopefully someone who has heavily planted tanks will be able to advise you better than I can.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "In mid cycle (we think) and need help/advice to lower the pH"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 01:00:46 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 01:45:59 AM
by SteveS
7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 05:30:26 PM
by suep
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 08:45:41 AM
by Richard W
8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2017, 09:06:31 AM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post May 21, 2017, 08:36:08 PM
by TrenchyLs
5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:49:43 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: