How Many Hours Of Light?

Author Topic: How many hours of light?  (Read 4776 times) 5 replies

Offline mncanary

• Tropical Fish FTW!
How many hours of light?
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

This is really a nice forum and I'm glad to be able to be here. I'm new to this forum, and I live in St Croix Falls WI USA (10" of snow yesterday, -15 C).  I have a somewhat new 140 L tank with Platys.  I've had tanks before but it has been a few years since then.  I run a greenhouse so taking care of things is what I do.  I find that raising plants, caring for an aquarium or raising Canaries (which I used to do) all require the same attitude:  do everything right, every day. 

My question is about hours of light.  In the bird world and the plant world, the number of hours of light makes a big difference.  Breeding, hormonal balance, flowering and general health can all be affected by the number of light hours in a day.  Humans are no exception to this, either.

So, do different breeds of fish have different requirements for lighted hours?  I'm not talking about plants or algae, just how fish respond to how many hours of light they see in a day (or conversely, how many hours of darkness).

Thanks!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: How many hours of light?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
Hi mncanary, welcome to the forum  :wave:

I don't think the light duration makes much difference to fish. Most of the ones we keep are tropical, so they come from 10 hours light, 10 hours dark with a couple of hours twilight and dawn between.

I found this on another forum, I'm going to quote it as it is itself a quote from another unsourced article. (I don't take quotes from people without asking permission but as this is unsourced, I can't!)

Lighting: How It Affects Freshwater Fish

Fish are affected by light in many ways.  There are several well-documented studies on spawning in some species being triggered by changes in the day/night cycle, and the hatching of eggs and the growth rate of fry can be impacted significantly depending upon the presence and intensity of light.  The health of fish is closely connected to the intensity of the overhead light, various types of light, and sudden changes from dark to light or light to dark.  To understand this, we must know something about the fish’s physiology.  The primary receptor of light is the eye, but other body cells are also sensitive to light.

Fish eyes are not much different from those of other vertebrates including humans.  Our eyes share a cornea, an iris, a lens, a pupil, and a retina.  The latter contains rods which allow us to see in dim light and cones which perceive colours; while mammals (like us) have two types of cones, fish have three—one for each of the colours red, green and blue.  These connect to nerve cells which transmit images to the brain, and the optic lobe is the largest part of the fish’s brain.

These cells are very delicate; humans have pupils that expand or contract to alter the amount of light entering the eye and eyelids, both of which help to prevent damage occurring due to bright light.  Fish (with very few exceptions such as some shark species) do not have eyelids, and in most species their pupils are fixed and cannot alter.  In bright light, the rods retract into the retina and the cones approach the surface; in dim light the opposite occurs.  But unlike our pupils that change very quickly, this process in fish takes time.  Scientific studies on salmon have shown that it takes half an hour for the eye to adjust to bright light, and an hour to adjust to dim light.  This is why the aquarist should wait at least 30 minutes after the tank lights come on before feeding or performing a water change or other tank maintenance;  this allows the fish to adjust to the light difference.

The Day/Night Cycle

Most animals have an internal body clock, called a circadian rhythm, which is modified by the light/dark cycle every 24 hours.  This is the explanation for jet-lag in humans when time zones are crossed—our circadian rhythm is unbalanced and has to reset itself, which it does according to periods of light and dark.  Our eyes play a primary role in this, but many of our body cells have some reaction to light levels.  In fish this light sensitivity in their cells is very high.

Previously I mentioned that the rods and cones in the eye shift according to the changes in light.  This process is also anticipated according to the time of day; the fish “expects” dawn and dusk, and the eyes will automatically begin to adjust accordingly.  This is due to the circadian rhythm.

This is one reason why during each 24 hours a regular period of light/dark—ensuring there are several hours of complete darkness—is essential for the fish.  In the tropics, day and night is equal for all 365 days a year, with approximately ten to twelve hours each of daylight and complete darkness, separated by fairly brief periods of dawn or dusk.  The period of daylight produced by direct tank lighting can be shorter; and the period of total darkness can be somewhat shorter or longer—but there must be several hours of complete darkness in the aquarium.  The dusk and dawn periods will appear to be stretched out, but that causes no problems for the fish.  It is the bright overhead light that is the concern, along with having a suitable period of total darkness.

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
Hi mncanary :wave:

Welcome to our world! We are a pretty friendly forum, I think. Everybody is really nice and helpful....some might say, that some folk are a little too occupied with poo, but hey, if there's not much on the telly, well...whatever lights your candle, I guess  :rotfl:

Anyway, someone smart, (probably Sue ;)) will be along to answer your questions soon, I'm sure.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
Oops....see, I told you ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
i say nine hours split in to two
periods by a timer thats what i do

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
Welcome mncanary, obsessed with poo indeed, but as a fellow newbie here with at present only platys, poo is an unavoidable and a "need to study" occurance lol. Hope you can keep up with our lingo here, if not just Google it, i do lol. Thanks Sue for the lighting quote, good to know  :)

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How many hours of light?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2013, 11:39:09 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2014, 11:20:34 AM
by jesnon
18 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 09:47:48 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 05:31:49 PM
by Matt
1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2019, 05:27:54 PM
by Matt
20 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 09:43:59 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2019, 06:22:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: