How Long Do You Have Your Lights On For?

Author Topic: How long do you have your lights on for?  (Read 3889 times) 6 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
How long do you have your lights on for?
« on: April 15, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I think I may have my lights on for far too long! I don't have any algae related issues yet, but have read that having lights on too much can encourage algae growth.

Generally I have my lights on from 10am to 10pm....! How long do you guys have yours on for and what's the actual 'purpose' of the lights?

I think because I keep reading how poor quality the lights on my tank are it's made me slightly paranoid, but I only have a java fern on two of my bogwoods and a moss ball, so I'm thinking I'm probably just wasting money?

I might change the lights so they're on later in the evenings so I can watch my fishies for longer!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

Re: How long do you have your lights on for?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »
Mine are on for 12 hours a day, too. The purpose? so the fish can see where they're going  ;D

They help the plants grow, too. Remember - the sun is out for ~12 hours a day in the tropics, so that should be fine. If you've no algea problems then all's well.

If you want 'better' lights then these people (Clickety click) do an LED upgrade kit specifically for the Fluval Edge (£60 eeek!). However; they do a blue light you can add to your tank (£20) so it gives a sort of moonlight look. You could put that on it's own timer and have that going for an hour after the white lights go off.

Just a thought.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »
Ooh OK maybe it's all good then!

I already have a blue 'moonlight' type light, though I don't ever really switch between them to be honest - maybe I should, it's quite a relaxing colour ha. But £60 is a little pricey for me for my little tank! Think I shall stick to the current lights ha. Fishies seem happy anyway!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »
Ooh OK maybe it's all good then!

I already have a blue 'moonlight' type light, though I don't ever really switch between them to be honest - maybe I should, it's quite a relaxing colour ha. But £60 is a little pricey for me for my little tank! Think I shall stick to the current lights ha. Fishies seem happy anyway!

Happy Fish = Happy Fishkeeper

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 08:32:56 AM »
My lights are on for 6 hours in each tank. I'll probably be told off as they are T8s and I should have them on longer. But with low light plants and a tendancy to algae, I'm worried about having them on for longer. The lights come on in the afternoon and go out late evening. The 50 litre does get natural light, but direct sunlight only in midwinter when the sun is low enough in the sky for the rays to reach the tank. In summer, the top of the window frame cut the sunlight off before it reaches the tank.

TigzFish

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
My lights are on for 6 hours in each tank. I'll probably be told off as they are T8s and I should have them on longer. But with low light plants and a tendancy to algae, I'm worried about having them on for longer.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head here.  This is what I'm doing right now in my 180ltr, finding the right balance between lights and water changes to keep the workload minimal, the algae (of whatever sort) under control, and still have enough lights on time to enjoy the tank.

Offline Resa

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
Oops....judging by what everybody has said, I have my lights on way too long!  I put them on in the morning when I get up which is anytime from about 7.30-8ish, and then I don't turn them off again until I go to bed, the earliest being about 2am but more usually 3ish.

My poor fishies will be rioting for sleep masks ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How long do you have your lights on for?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 03:58:54 PM
by dbaggie
3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 09:23:19 AM
by naughtymoose
22 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 08:37:30 AM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2016, 06:36:23 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2018, 11:13:02 AM
by TopCookie
9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2019, 09:53:17 PM
by Vanadia
18 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 02:24:49 PM
by terra firma

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: