How Does This Sound Re, Stocking My 75l Tank

Author Topic: How does this sound re, stocking my 75l tank  (Read 5372 times) 13 replies

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
How does this sound re, stocking my 75l tank
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just been on the fish profile section trying to figure out what will fit and get on with one another so I have a short list and wondered how this sounded.
Platy x 4
Galaxy rasbora x 6
Peacock goby x 3
Panda cory x 4
Five band barb x 4

The tank is 50cm long so all the tetras were out. Trouble is I've been round loads of shops and the only ones I've seen in stock are the panda corys.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: How does this sound re, stocking my 75l tank
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:05:41 PM »
Panda Cory get a lot of love on this forum - they're brill.

If I might make some suggestions.......

I have platies (well, I've got one left) - don't get them! They're poo machines, they breed like rabbits, and the males fight.

I have Five-band barbs - they're lovely, but they'll be a lot happier if you have 7 rather than 4. Very peaceful and spend all day nosing around the bottom of the tank and swimming in and out of the plants. They do tend to stick together and were noticably happier when I went from 5 to 9 of them.

Peacock gobies, Cory cats and the Barbs all hang around the bottom of the tank, so you might be better off with two out of the three species.

How about Ember Tetras? They're small and look lovely as a shoal of around 9 or so, and will be fine in a 50cm tank.

Other fish you might consider are Checkered Barbs or Cherry Barbs. I have Cherry Barbs and they're peaceful, fun, and the boys look lovely when they're 'dancing' and flaring their fins at each other or the barbie-girls. They don't spend as much time at the bottom as the Five-band Barbs, either.

Hope this helps.

p.s. No Platies!!!!! :))

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
Would it help to drop the platies and swap the five banded barbs for ruby barbs?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »
I don't know about Ruby Barbs.... except they look lovely. I'm a fan of barbs!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
My male Ruby barbs are pretty well always arguing among themselves and chasing the females, which sometimes spills over into chasing other fish as well. Not the most peaceful inhabitants of my tank and I would suggest that they would probably scare the galaxy rasboras. Suited only to a community of other robust fish, I would suggest.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »
Ok thanks , might just drop the barbs all together from this tank and put them in the new big tank. :-\

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »
May go with the ember tetras after all.  What is the usual route for buying fish that you can't find in shops? Do you ask the shop too rider them in or do you buy over the internet or something else?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
It is possible to buy them on-line but the cost of postage is usually more than the actual fish. Some shops will order them in if they are on their wholesaler's list. Just ask and if they say no, you can look somewhere else.
One downside to on-line shops is getting them to select males and females. This is not a problem with shoaling fish but could be with fish like peacock gobies. With fish like this, read up on how to tell the sexes before you go looking in shops as many shop workers won't have a clue.

From the list of fish mentioned so far, you should be able to find ember tetras and panda cories reasonably easily. Galaxy rasboras (which are now called celestial pearl danios or sometimes firework rasboras) are less common. Peacock gobies (also sold as peacock gudgeon) are less common in shops.
Do you have a branch of Maidenhead Aquatics near you? The one near me usually has the tetras, cories and rasboras in stock.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:56:25 PM »
Yes I think I do have maidenhead aquatics which is based in a garden centre. They had the pandas and gobys but name tag was gudgeon so I didn't realise they were the same thing at the time. I was only in there this morning and the had many ill fish in the tanks :(

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
The Galaxy Rasbora's (or Celestial Pearl Danio's as Sue has mentioned) are lovely little fish but can be difficult to find. I managed to acquire some from a fellow fish-keeper but have never seen any in the tropical fish retailers round my area and would like some more (and we don't have a Maidenhead Aquatics nearby). I haven't come across any Peacock Gobies though and would like some of these as well :(

It is possible to order fish online for delivery but I've never used this type of facility - don't know whether any others could comment on the pros/cons? I think they can be quite expensive ordering online as well, particularly if you go for one of the rarer species.

Cory's are a big thumbs up (of any type really, provided they're a suitable size for your tank) - I have the peppered variety. I also have Platies (all males to avoid the breeding issue) and they do tend to squabble a bit but nothing too bad. They can poo for England though - I often see one with a nice trail which is twice their body length or more!

I don't have any barbs but my folks do have some Cherry Barbs and they can develop a lovely deep cherry colouration once settled (far better than how you see them in the shops) and they are pretty peaceful, although I don't know how they'd get on with the Rasboras.

Offline Shipwreck

• Fishy Member
  • From tanks to tanks
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
Fish wise my community tank has cherry barbs,dwarf golden barbs,galaxy rasbora,neon and
Cardinal tetra and i must say so far no issues they all seem to get on well.
Galaxy rasbora are without doubt my favourite fish,i am lucky as we have a maidenhead aquatics
That sell them as well as a place called porton down aquatics that sell them.

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Is it true I can't use gravel if I get panda corys?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »
If you have cories, you shouldn't have gravel with sharp edges. Round smooth gravel is fine, although sand is better. The main danger is from not keeping the gravel clean - it is much easier with sand as the muck sits on top where you can see it rather than down between the particles where out of sight is often out of mind. If the gravel has sharp edges it can cut cories' mouths and then if the gravel is not kept clean, bacteria can build up on the fish poo and uneaten food and infect the cut mouths.
The answer is to have smooth particles (sharp sand can be as bad as sharp gravel) and to make sure the gravel is kept clean by regular deep siphoning.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
I have rounded 2-3mm gravel and my Cory's are fine; very healthy and happy nosing around the gravel for food. I generally do at least a surface siphon every 2-3 weeks just to make sure nothing bad is left to settle but I'd say this is good practice regardless of the substrate used.

I see some tanks with gravel which is more like stone shards/chippings and this is a definite no-no where Cory's are concerned (and quite a few other types of fish to be honest) and I'd also avoid anything with a gravel size above 2-3mm (although the finer varieties often costs a bit more unfortunately).

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How does this sound re, stocking my 75l tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 09:14:40 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2016, 08:55:55 AM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 08:00:42 AM
by ColinB
14 Replies
Last post July 31, 2016, 06:50:21 PM
by Sue
15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: