Hi All

Author Topic: hi all  (Read 7341 times) 33 replies

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
Re: hi all
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
done my tank and cleaned filter after hard work with my filter but anyway tank is done  :fishy1:

i found some more pebbles underneath my tank in the stand i put them in a bowl and filled up with boiling water to get anything off them if there was anything, this is fine isnt it?

also i found my green scrubber to clean my glass, its like the back of a washing scrubber i boiled that aswell in water in the bowl is this ok too? one thing with the green scrubber i could see a white colour coming off it, not pure white just when i squeezed it you could see a faint white colour coming off it hopefully this is ok ?

i have took some pictures before of tank just for you all to see

i also moved things around in tank for a fresher feel aswell

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »
another one, i could only post so many in one post

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
if you are already looking at my post refresh i posted more pictures also could some answer my latest post please about the pebbles etc thanks

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 07:56:06 PM »
i havent added anything to tank in a long time nor have i wanted to as i dont like my tank i bought it off a chinese person and as you may know i think its been bad luck not because off a chinese man just because it was used before hand, even though i cleaned it out and went through a fishless cycle blah blah i just wanted a new brand new tank, i have had nothing but problems with this tank i have invested alot of time and money into it i love my fish just like any other pet in the house thats the only reason why i dont think i could ever sell

but getting to my point i may start adding more fish as i need another mate for my ram and only have 2 rainbows, this wont be any time soon like next week or 2 weeks i dont know why i will let you know before hand when i do, i wanted different fish i want to move up to malawis but i dont think i could ever let me current fish go so i will be sticking with them and other tropical fish from now on anyway

i need more plants and ornaments aswell as fish but i will renew again ( plants fish decor ) soon as i can and as soon as its ok to do so,

i will do my second water change thursday then wait till monday do a change then wait few days do a change then start doing just 1 change a week then

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 07:56:37 PM »
i see you are reading now sue i have added more comments and things if you could refresh you will see everything thanks  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
The pebbles should be fine if they were bought as aquarium pebbles and pouring boiling water over them is fine. Putting them in a pan and leaving them boiling on the cooker can be dangerous because pebbles can have air pockets inside and left actually boiling can cause the pebbles to explode. But pouring boiling water over them in a basin won't explode them.
If the glass cleaner looks a bit iffy, I'd get a new one!

Be careful about getting another ram. If the one you still have is a male it will regard the whole tank as its territory and probably won't accept another ram. If you could get a definite female, if the one you have is male it may accept a new female; if yours is female it is less likely to attack another female. The problems are that you can't usually sex bolivian rams in the shop tank, and even if you did end up with a male and female they might not like each other.
Bolivian rams are perfectly OK as single fish. I think I'd concentrate on adding other fish.

Getting more rainbowfish could be a problem too. I have read on so many sites that dwarf rainbowfish are very prone to those sores and a lot of people say they won't buy any more because of this.
If you want to get more of them, by all means try some, but also think about keeping them as just the two you have left and choosing another species to add next. I know 2 isn't the ideal number, but when you have only a couple left from a shoal it is OK to keep them as just a couple till they die of old age.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
thanks sue like i said problems so much with this tank just so much bad luck

after i did my change on tuesday fish were more active and happier ( understandably ) changed things around etc

now today my ram looks weak and hes just basically on the bottom of the tank which is not like them/him i can just tell theres something wrong with him, i took pictures because as you said is he a male or female ( lol at he i have always just thought it was a he ( male ) ), so ye i took pictures of the ram yesterday because i was going to say what sex is he as i cant remember and i have already asked about this but cant find were i have asked in the forum, because i was thinking of getting another ram or more rams to put in the tank as you say they are picky and he is very picky hes been my first ram i bought, hes bullied one to death  and another i had to get rid of had to take it to MA but i kept him because hes been there from day one, anyway i was gonna risk after sexing the ram and get a mate for the ram because he seems lonely even though you say hes ok on his own which is fine but i dont want the ram to be lonely but i wont bother asking much about the rams yet as my one now looks weak after looking fine the other day

this is him on tuesday after my water change( the first 3 pictures)

and this is him now the 2 bottom pictures

i just finished my water change today which is my 2nd of the week and now will wait till monday to do another 1 then another 1 in the same week then i will go back to doing 1 water change a week after next week,

now when i did my water change on tuesday as you know i use seachem prime and i usually put 0.3 measurement in a shringe but tuesday i did 0.5 in each bucket ( 3 buckets ) so i am wondering if that had an effect but the others seem fine its just the ram, todays water change i went back to 0.3 and will stay at 0.3 just every last bucket i put in i usually do 0.4

the pebbles were from a fish shop yes i put them in a bowl and filled up with boiled kettle water then put it in the sink and overflowed the bowl with cold water before putting them in the tank

i hate my tank so many problems hardly good moments

going back to the rams a second my mum went to MA today before she went she said what sex is the ram i said i dont want one i am talking to sue about it at the moment i asked her to get me a water test kit she said ok if its not too much as i havent had money for a few months i dont claim job seekers as i have been sanctioned and i havent had luck with a job yet so hopefully she can afford one for me if not then nothing i can do until i get money whenever that is

anyway thats all i can think about at the moment, thanks again everyone

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
first 3 pictures are the ram looking fine, the last 2 are today looking weak, the siamese fish seem to be around or near the ram often so i am hoping they are not making the ram worse they sometimes swim above him and their fins touch the ram, maybe this is me thinking the worst as usual and theres nothing to worry about i dunno

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
There are a couple of things that can indicate the sex but they are not 100% reliable.

The first few rays of the dorsal fin (the one on its back) are extended in a male but not a female. This makes yours look female.
The anal fin (that last one underneath before the tail) overlaps the tail fin in a male but not in a female. Again this makes yours look female.
A male's underside is flatter as it goes towards the tail, a female's curves outwards. This makes yours look male. But a female that isn't eating can look like that too.

I think you have a female that hasn't been eating properly, maybe because of an internal infection. But as I said before they are very difficult to sex unless their breeding tubes are showing.

I don't think I'd risk getting another ram because if this one isn't well, the new on could well pick on it.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »
thanks sue

i had to put my ram down on friday it was harder than putting the others down i think it was because he was my first ram i had and had been lonely for awhile, when i turned on the lights on friday he was upside down but fins where moving very very slow ( his arms ) i sure they arnt called fins but i am on about his arms, anyway and a shrimp then jumped on him so i had to get my net and get him and i put him down as i thought with him being like that i dont think i could of done anything else, now with me having anxiety issues ocd etc i have now been thinking maybe i could of done something for him

anyway it hit me hard to the fact hes never going to be there or seen again and i dont know if i could ever get rams again because of it but i could because atleast i can carry on with getting new rams which are his family after all they are all the same fish but anyway i wont be adding fish yet as i dont have money and also still need to see if tank is healthy etc

here are pictures of him in the bet, i couldnt see marks on him i am hoping it was just old age getting to him but he was find the day i did my change last week the next day he wasnt, his eyes do look a bit different than normal

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
with you saying the ram isnt eating well is this because i dont feed them every day? i feed them 1 day but leave a day out then feed the next, i am going to start feeding every day i think from now on

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
Sorry, I should have said it's not because you weren't feeding the ram right. If there is something wrong with a fish it goes off it's food, even things like bloodworms which fish usually can't resist. The problem is trying to work out what it is that's made it go off its food. It could have a bacterial infection (which can be so bad it needs antibiotics which we can't get without a very expensive vet) or a viral infection (and there are no treatments for viruses) or a protozoan infection (another one that needs a vet's prescription). In this country we can't buy very effective medicine from a shop unfortunately.
Or it could just have been old. We never know how old the fish are in the shop tank.

I think you did the right thing putting the ram down. If a shrimp was showing interest it could have started eating it before it was dead, not a nice thought. You saved it from that. Sometimes that's all we can do.

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »
would you get more rams ? have you lost one before? i like them they, kribs seem to hide alot i think so pointless getting fish you wont see, i cant buy anything yet as need to keep an eye on tank plus money, before i do buy i will come here first asking for suggestions or if types of fish i want are ok etc

thanks again sue

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 08:08:49 AM »
I lost a pair of bolivian rams a few years ago. I had gravel then and the female got some stuck in her throat. It vanished after a few days but I don't know if she got it out or swallowed it. But she was never the same after and died a short while later. The male then just pined away for her.
This was a mated pair. I'd had two rams for 6 months and they turned out to be 2 males. Then I found a shop with some adult ones which had their breeding tubes visible so I bought 2females. One of the males and one of the females paired up and I took the other 2 back to the shop. The pair I kept spawned several times though the eggs all got eaten.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: